Author Topic: Fruit ID  (Read 599 times)

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
Fruit ID
« on: November 06, 2022, 01:07:10 AM »
Aloha!

Just got home from Hawaii tropical fruit growers conference. They had this fruit there but no label. No idea what it is but thick skin and slight acid taste with the flavor of honey. Not much flesh to seed.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit ID
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 02:50:59 AM »
I don't know if this is right, but google reverse images says Mimusops elengi - Spanish Cherry. The part that connects the fruit to the branch doesn't look right for my ID

after some more extensive looking, this is the absolute closest I could find: Aglaia korthalsii https://live.staticflickr.com/7531/15631365749_da5a785c76_b.jpg (basing off second picture, description of fruit shape and flavor)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 03:04:07 AM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 11:43:32 AM »
I don't know if this is right, but google reverse images says Mimusops elengi - Spanish Cherry. The part that connects the fruit to the branch doesn't look right for my ID

after some more extensive looking, this is the absolute closest I could find: Aglaia korthalsii https://live.staticflickr.com/7531/15631365749_da5a785c76_b.jpg (basing off second picture, description of fruit shape and flavor)

Thanks for the reply. It does look similar but there are significant differences, including size, flesh appearance, and the visible sepals on mimusops elengii, and the woody part of the stem readily pulls from the fruit stem, unlike how it appears in the Aglaia picture.

Here is a picture of the cleaned seed. I had to scrape off a lot of the brown seed coat, but the seed does have a line going lengthwise along it.

Tasting it again this morning, I am reminded of langsat and a little bit of wampee, which was my first guess, but I don't know much about wampee at all.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 01:52:40 PM »
honestly I don't know what I'm talking about at all  :), just along for the ride
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 01:57:57 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 06:59:11 PM »
honestly I don't know what I'm talking about at all  :), just along for the ride

No worries, they were great suggestions, hopefully someone knows more than us  :blank:

cnewfield

• USA, HI, Pupukea, Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 04:21:19 PM »
I'd guess gnetum but I can't find quite the same branching structure in pictures online

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 06:38:45 PM »
I'd guess gnetum but I can't find quite the same branching structure in pictures online

I thought the same, but they had gnetum fruit (hadn't seen the fruit itself) and it didn't really have any flesh to speak of between the seed and skin. This one has a small amount.