Author Topic: looking for a second variety to my Lamb Hass in SoCal  (Read 691 times)

PixelTreat

• Culver City, CA
    • View Profile
looking for a second variety to my Lamb Hass in SoCal
« on: November 20, 2022, 04:47:26 PM »
We love our Lamb Hass, but it is very alternate bearing. Two years ago it had well over a hundred fruit, the last two... close to nothing. I'm going to plant another variety. I have about 15 feet of space, so a spreading tree would not work. I'm currently leaning towards a Sir-Prize, as that would extend the season when the lamb hass was productive. The con of the Sir-Prize is I've read it also tends to be alternate bearing. Sharwil is also a possibility but I don't know how wide they grow. Fuerte is very wide I believe? My growing zone is 10b. Any recommendations or thoughts?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: looking for a second variety to my Lamb Hass in SoCal
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 05:49:16 PM »
All avocados alternate.  2 years in a row of nothing on lamb is a lot.  They tend to alternate less than others.  Sir prize seems to alternate really badly also if it will produce for you.  Some people get nothing, other trees make too many and tree gets sick.

The best tree to plant would be regular hass.  It will be fine at 15ft space with lamb.

Sharwil will also be fine but it grows slowly unless its getting lots of heat and sun.  Maybe not great for culver city.  I think you will be happiest with regular hass.  Sharwil also alternates badly.  Hass is going to grow and produce better than sharwil.

Fuerte does get really big and also has reliability issues and hard alternating.  I wouldnt recommend plant it, younwill probably regret it. 
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 07:33:26 PM »
I have a neighbor who has an avocado tree that has fruits which looks like bacon. It has fruits every year on the tree, not a lot of fruits maybe 50-75, tree is old. Fruit tastes good, size is slightly bigger than store bought Fuerte. But you're right Brad about the other large tree which is the huge hybrid bacon (75yrs old), it didn't have any fruits this year. Last year it had 500-600 fruits.

PixelTreat, if you know how to graft, you can just add another variety on your Lamb Hass. If you want to buy some cuttings, I can sell you some from the neighbor's tree which I help maintain/trim each year.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 07:47:40 PM »
Reed seems to alternate less than others.  Gem, lamb, bacon, maybe some others.  But even these trees that alternate less than others can still have off years.
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 10:18:35 PM »
And Pinkerton?
John

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 11:37:34 PM »
I would plant a Reed or a Nabal.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 12:11:29 AM »
Maybe make guacamulche out of the lamb, top work it with Reed and plant a Hass next to it.  Feed the guacamulche to the Hass?
Brad Spaugh

PixelTreat

• Culver City, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 03:22:27 AM »
I just gave the lamb hass a serious prune so that may wake it up next season.

But going through the options given:
My lamb hass produces ripe fruit between late July-Oct. Some of these varieties ripen at the same time. I'd like to not have the exact same season.

Reed (also a type-A) July-Sep
Nabal also ripen summer and early fall
Hass - I've avoid this as I've only heard about how big these trees get. I do not want a monster. Though I suppose it can be kept pruned to be shorter
Pinkerton - I am reading this is a domey, spreading tree. So I'm guessing this will grow wide.
Sharwil, Sir Prize - too bad, they sound great on paper
Gem - this one appears to fit the requirements.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 02:32:26 PM »
Get the regular hass, it can easily be kept to a manageable size and the fruit and growth are much better than Gem.  Also hass can be harvested february through june.  Gems are later season like May through july.
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk