Author Topic: Fruit trees I gave up on  (Read 5694 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit trees I gave up on
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2023, 01:20:05 PM »
Which white sapote variety was it, Gary?

I got it at Excalibur, it was a Suebelle or Homestead.
Regards,

Gary

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2023, 04:38:05 PM »
2x soursop trees may also be gone due to toxicity in fruit.

Where do you get this source of infomation?  Seed is known to have toxin just like any other annoyas.  Flesh is believe to stop cancer, but has to have enough potent/quantity.  In Asia, we eat alot during the season.

I don't think it is more dangerous than tomato and potatoe, which if eat too much or not cooking long enough.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2023, 05:59:17 PM »
2x soursop trees may also be gone due to toxicity in fruit.

Where do you get this source of infomation?  Seed is known to have toxin just like any other annoyas.  Flesh is believe to stop cancer, but has to have enough potent/quantity.  In Asia, we eat alot during the season.

I don't think it is more dangerous than tomato and potatoe, which if eat too much or not cooking long enough.

Hey mate if you do a search on this forum there was a fairly extensive topic about this not too long ago

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2023, 11:06:16 PM »
I am coming from the other climate extreme,
Almost giving up on figs, feijoa and mulberry, to hot and rainy here, haven't got much decent fruit out of em. Never any feijoa.
Tamarillo have always failed for us here.

tropo, that's sounds likely fungus covering your Psidium littoralis, littoralis points toward it being native towards the beach where there's more wind and less fertile for fungus to proliferate. Could also be a caterpillar.

tropo, is it the black hard inside the soursop that worries you? I know that could have some of the alkaloids.

SHV,
thanks won't try any Capulin cherry.

skhan,
"Malay Apple - 8 years no fruit"
Same here it's 8 years and no fruit or flower, girth is like 20cm and it's about 8m tall. Starting to take out some laterals to make it less crowded, but idk they probably have to get big before they flower. Fruit is worth it though! Bill Whitman's Malay where huge too.

Seriously, Abiu, one of the best fruits and fruits really early, and if the tree is strong with not to much fruit on there's no fruit fly issue.

HI,
I'v got the same experience with carob, they don't survive! Really wet here too.

FM,
did you try the ruby supreme? Did that one get flies?

chro,
IDK what feet smell like where you live but here papaya taste and smell great. Maybe you can try a different variety.
Solo, red lady, krang etc.

CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2023, 12:07:10 AM »
Almost giving up on figs, feijoa and mulberry, to hot and rainy here, haven't got much decent fruit out of em. Never any feijoa.

feijoa are almost exclusively pollinated by hummingbirds! coincidentally, australia has no hummingbirds : (
instagram @trumansacco

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2023, 02:57:55 AM »
Cassowary apparently they soursop has toxins that contribute to Parkinson’s. I’m it sure why the guava all go rock hard maybe fruit fly is stinging every fruit? Happens when they are like normal marble size

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2023, 03:25:15 AM »
tropo,
We have a white guava and hawaiian pink guava. Both are doing very well without too much watering throughout the dry season. Got a nice crop now and have had no issues with fruit fly. No experience with strawberry guava though.

cassowary,
Surprised to hear about mulberry. We have a similar climate here and our mulberry fruits very well multiple times a year, with regularly pruning. Definitely benefits from watering when fruiting in the dry season since the fruits will dry out easily. Regarding abiu, never once had a issue with fruit fly. Have picked over 200 fruits in the last month and no issues with fruit fly. Flying fox love them though!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 03:53:54 AM by fruit nerd »

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2023, 11:17:58 PM »
Great thread!

For me it’s been:

Papaya - didn’t like the fruit

Bananas - didn’t like the fruit enough over store-bought to justify the effort.

On the fence is:

Coconut cream mango - two trees in different locations have been nothing but problems and no fruit production so far.

Lychees - my favorite fruit I grow but the issues with production and now the erinose mite have sealed the deal and I have already planted their replacements.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2023, 08:12:56 PM »
Great thread!

For me it’s been:

Papaya - didn’t like the fruit

Bananas - didn’t like the fruit enough over store-bought to justify the effort.

On the fence is:

Coconut cream mango - two trees in different locations have been nothing but problems and no fruit production so far.

Lychees - my favorite fruit I grow but the issues with production and now the erinose mite have sealed the deal and I have already planted their replacements.

How long have your coco creams been in ground?

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2023, 09:10:56 PM »
Since 2017 and 2020 respectively.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2023, 10:23:47 AM »
I have a bad luck with 2 coconut cream mangos as well...

Ana
Ana

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2023, 10:59:15 AM »
FruitGrower and Flgarden, what problems did you have with the trees, e.g., growth habit, disease, etc.? Thanks!

P.S. if my coffee plants go, I'll add that to the list of trees I gave up on . . .

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2023, 12:07:42 PM »

feijoa are almost exclusively pollinated by hummingbirds! coincidentally, australia has no hummingbirds : (

Source on feijoa pollination being almost exclusively pollinated by hummingbirds? Mine are mainly pollinated by squirrels and larger birds, which are attracted to the sweet petals. In fact, here's a study: https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ecy.3778?af=R

"A. sellowiana flowers have fleshy white petals with a purple interior, with many red stamens and an upright red central pistil located above (Figure 1a). The pollination process is unusual since the energy-rich petals are the resource being consumed by birds that are the main pollinators (Ramirez & Kallarackal, 2017)"

"Flowers do not produce nectar." - https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320695638_Feijoa_Acca_sellowiana_O_Berg_Burret_pollination_A_review

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2023, 05:34:48 PM »
Since 2017 and 2020 respectively.

I planted a CC in 2014 and have gotten fair to good production the last 2 years.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2023, 06:23:23 PM »
FruitGrower and Flgarden, what problems did you have with the trees, e.g., growth habit, disease, etc.? Thanks!

P.S. if my coffee plants go, I'll add that to the list of trees I gave up on . . .
Mine were growing a little in the spring and then no growth for the rest of the year and eventually bark was unhealthy looking, cracks, looking stunted. Eventually died.
I have a mango from a root sucker of a tree grown from seed and gave tasty mangos. That one grows like weed fast. Maybe i just pick wrong CC.

Ana
Ana

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2023, 11:13:04 PM »

The older one has constant limb dieback, symptoms of micronutrient deficiencies despite regular foliar and drench applications, and has hardly grown in 5+ yrs. The younger one grew a little better but the limbs always grew downward. I would trim those in an effort to get more upward growth and they’d do the same, after so many prunings on a small tree, it began to show similar symptoms to the other one, though not as bad. I cut both back recently and went crazy with the minors in hopes of seeing something that will make me keep them but I’m not holding out hope. We’ll see.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 11:14:57 PM by FruitGrower »

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2023, 03:11:56 PM »
Rollinia (hard to grow, die back and no fruit)
Fig (die back, few fruit but not worth the effort)
Pomegranate (small fruit, shy bearer)
some Mangos (Keith and probably Lemon Zest, fungus problems)
all kinds of citrus (greening disease)
Oro Negro Avocado (refuses to grow in my yard, others do fine)
Blueberries (despite my best efforts, no to low production. pH is the problem)
Pecan (not suited for south/central Florida)
Atemoya (not thriving, fruit good but shy production)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2023, 03:28:26 PM »
...macadamia tree. Squirrels went nuts for the nuts, and didn't seem to like the only spot for it.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2023, 03:39:28 PM »

Source on feijoa pollination being almost exclusively pollinated by hummingbirds? Mine are mainly pollinated by squirrels and larger birds, which are attracted to the sweet petals. In fact, here's a study: https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ecy.3778?af=R

"A. sellowiana flowers have fleshy white petals with a purple interior, with many red stamens and an upright red central pistil located above (Figure 1a). The pollination process is unusual since the energy-rich petals are the resource being consumed by birds that are the main pollinators (Ramirez & Kallarackal, 2017)"

"Flowers do not produce nectar." - https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320695638_Feijoa_Acca_sellowiana_O_Berg_Burret_pollination_A_review

It came from some guy in Arizona on YouTube that runs a tropical fruit farm but I can’t remember what his name was. I admit your evidence certainly goes against what I’m saying but UC Davis arboretum educational database has “hummingbird” listed as the only wildlife value for feijoa so idk, I could be wrong though
instagram @trumansacco

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2023, 08:25:31 PM »
Wow that is interesting info. thanks

We have "sun birds" and they do have a thin small long beaks and eat nectar. I actually never even had any flowers, so idk yet if they would try and visit the flowers.

fruit nerd,
Yeah I know people in Mossman and further south get mulberries but I think it's to much rain where we are because they always die back in the wet and the fruits don't ripen well, only get bit's and pieces here and there. And not very sweet. Planted some of the white long one but it performs even worse then the short fat red.

tropo,
Is it established through clinical study that the flesh of the fruit increases Parkinson disease risk?
Maybe it's the leaf extract. I know there would be incentive from pharmaceutical companies to engineer studies to make it look dangerous in order to reduce the amount of people opting for Gaviola treatment vs expensive chemical therapy.

"Caparros-Lefebvre and Elbaz in 1999 reported that consumption of teas and fruits of some tropical plants, including graviola, was associated with atypical parkinsonism, leading to speculation that graviola might contain neurotoxins reviewed by Gavamukulya et al."
"However, a consensus was reached in 2010 that consumption of species of Annonaceae was not directly related to occurrence of atypical parkinsonism (reviewed in [4, 120])."

" Given that graviola is already widely used in traditional medicine, these agents, if properly tested and produced, could potentially represent huge benefit by providing accessible and affordable agents against many of the conditions that plague humankind."

providing accessible and affordable agents, sounds like the antagonist to Astra and Moderna's current products.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6091294/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29599630/
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2023, 07:32:14 PM »
My loquat tree is slated to go to make room for my jujube. I bought the loquat tree because I heard it was one of “preppers” fruit trees. when the tree fruited last year, the fruits tasted so sour it was disappointing.
Tom

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2023, 07:50:28 PM »
Probably on my fifth time trying to grow rollinia might be the last. Also my dwarf hawaiian starfruit. Its the most sensitive to water. Outside i have to make sure it barely gets water or the new growth dies but as soon as i bring it in for the season one day of being a little too dry it drops all it leaves and has die back

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2023, 10:23:01 PM »
After a couple of years struggling with a Dancy tangerine and a Minneola infected with HLB I dug them up last week and will be planting a Sugar Belle and a Tango (shipped directly from a certified Florida grower) in their place, with nets installed over them for a few years at least.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2023, 11:50:48 PM »
My loquat tree is slated to go to make room for my jujube. I bought the loquat tree because I heard it was one of “preppers” fruit trees. when the tree fruited last year, the fruits tasted so sour it was disappointing.

Highly recommend topworking it, or trying them when they are only dark orange. Loquat is an absolute keeper and there are some excellent varieties. Cannot fathom replacing it with jujube personally...

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2023, 12:27:00 AM »

Highly recommend topworking it, or trying them when they are only dark orange. Loquat is an absolute keeper and there are some excellent varieties. Cannot fathom replacing it with jujube personally...

Loquat is a keeper because it is the only tree that ripe in early spring.  A good cultivar tastes great.

I would not recommend planting jujube because of suckers and invasive roots.  It is worse than bamboo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk