Author Topic: Anyone Getting Breadfruit in Miami-Dade Area?  (Read 708 times)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Anyone Getting Breadfruit in Miami-Dade Area?
« on: January 04, 2023, 12:43:25 PM »
Hello everyone.

Is anyone growing Ma'afala (or any other breadfruit) in Miami-Dade or Homestead area? Any info on flowering and fruiting, harvest? Thinking of adding a tree and wanted to hear about other's experiences.

Also, how good is the fruit? I'm looking for something to cook with, and wondering how realistic it is to use breadfruit as a regular food source. Love potatoes, yucca, malanga, boniato, and all kinds of stuff like that, but not easy to grow them in my yard. Medium size tree would work.

Have eaten some in past while in the Caribbean, but has been a while. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 12:55:13 PM by roblack »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Anyone Getting Breadfruit in Miami-Dade Area?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 01:27:18 PM »
I planted one at my dad's house in north Broward. He's been getting fruits for the last few years.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 01:40:37 PM »
Seen a nice on in Ft. Lauderdale. It was really big and carrying some fruits. I like making fries.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 05:18:26 PM »
Hello everyone.

Is anyone growing Ma'afala (or any other breadfruit) in Miami-Dade or Homestead area? Any info on flowering and fruiting, harvest? Thinking of adding a tree and wanted to hear about other's experiences.

Also, how good is the fruit? I'm looking for something to cook with, and wondering how realistic it is to use breadfruit as a regular food source. Love potatoes, yucca, malanga, boniato, and all kinds of stuff like that, but not easy to grow them in my yard. Medium size tree would work.

Have eaten some in past while in the Caribbean, but has been a while.

I have Ma’afala in Miami that flowers/ fruits well and I even picked fruit in December before the cold. It hardly flinched at the ~43 low a couple of weeks ago; it only had some minor leaf tip burn and did much better than my soursop, which completely defoliated. The fruit is very versatile and is one of only two savory tree fruits I grow, the other being avocado, so for us it definitely gets used. I am still learning to use it but I basically use it as a potato. And due to its spongy texture, the foods are more light and airy; they make the best tostones I’ve ever had. The only thing is it’s not a medium tree by any stretch. It’s my most vigorous grower by far. If you want to try the fruit in season, send me a pm around June or so.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 07:35:13 PM »
Thanks for all the replies!

Much gratitude for your post and offer FruitGrower. This helps me a lot. I will be contacting you in June for sure.

Gotta spot for a med to large tree, so even if it's hard to keep in check, won't be a problem.   

Got a tree coming tomorrow =)

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 09:23:15 PM »
Thanks for all the replies!

Much gratitude for your post and offer FruitGrower. This helps me a lot. I will be contacting you in June for sure.

Gotta spot for a med to large tree, so even if it's hard to keep in check, won't be a problem.   

Got a tree coming tomorrow =)

You’re very welcome, glad I could help you and help spread the word on this amazing fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk