Author Topic: Delicious Papaya varieties  (Read 2113 times)

iffy

• US, Texas, zone 9a
    • View Profile
Delicious Papaya varieties
« on: February 03, 2023, 10:52:27 AM »
I’m trying to get a gift for a friend of mines mother, she’s very into fruit trees and gardening and I know she’s attempted to grow a papaya that didn’t survive. Does anyone know any especially delicious varieties/ would be interested in shipping scions to Florida? Thank you!

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Delicious Papaya varieties
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 02:56:26 PM »
Hey iffy,

Papaya plants are cheap and grow like weeds, no need to start from a cutting unless you need a specific cultivar/plant to clone.
Lots are available online as well. Would probably just need 2-3 to ensure fruit is produced. What zone does your friends mother live in? North FL is too cold for papaya.

You could also consider bananas, there's a ton of varieties and they're fun-looking tropical plants. Some are more cold hardy too.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 04:27:37 PM »
Get some seeds of the bisexual red variety, I'v had more then 50 papaya plants over the years and none have been bad so far, all delicious fruit.
But they require lot's of sun to make the fruit sweet.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 05:23:56 PM »
Red Lady is a very good for papaya, just decent overall as fruits go.

Papaya is best eaten green as a marinated veggie, imo.

Open minded to a ripened papaya that will change my perspective, waiting on one now.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 05:42:56 PM »
Iffy, There are 2 kinds of papaya tastes, one with the puke aftertaste and one without. You might need to find out which one your friend's mother likes. Most of them have the puke aftertaste. The Hawaiian sunset/sunrise don't and those are the ones I could eat. :)
Thera

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 07:07:14 PM »

Open minded to a ripened papaya that will change my perspective, waiting on one now.

Rob, ill go to whole foods right now and get you a Royal Star papaya. Those are delicious, normally the fruit tastes like vomit to me.
I've encouraged people to try growing those cause its just a great hybrid all around, works well eaten green too.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 03:17:08 PM »

Rob, ill go to whole foods right now and get you a Royal Star papaya. Those are delicious, normally the fruit tastes like vomit to me.
I've encouraged people to try growing those cause its just a great hybrid all around, works well eaten green too.

I also can only tolerate that variety but do you know anyone who fruited a seedling already? I wonder how the offsprings will taste like.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 03:26:27 PM »

Will look for Royal Star tomorrow at the farmers market, and at WF if no luck there. Papaya is a must have plant, as it almost always has edible fruit (either green or ripe). Red Lady was good to me ripe, but a very small window of time before it was too funky. Improved varieties are exciting prospects.

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 04:20:32 PM »

I also can only tolerate that variety but do you know anyone who fruited a seedling already? I wonder how the offsprings will taste like.
[/quote]

I dont think I have the contact info of anyone who I shared plants with locally lol. But they should be fruiting within the next 3-4 months so maybe ill hear back from someone. I expect good things.

Rob good luck! Hope the variety works for ya.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 11:07:56 PM »
Best variety is Holland papaya, firm flesh and very sweet.   It is from Thailand, most popular and most expensive variety in there.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 02:31:11 AM »
What's a reliable source for the Hawaiian sunset papaya? I like them, but didn't bother growing because store bought was fine and easier. However this year the papaya in stores were terrible, so I want to grow some.

dm

• Miami-Dade County, FL - Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2023, 12:05:50 PM »
What's a reliable source for the Hawaiian sunset papaya? I like them, but didn't bother growing because store bought was fine and easier. However this year the papaya in stores were terrible, so I want to grow some.

University of Hawaii will send you Home Garden Packets (HGP) for several varieties at very affordable prices.

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/seed/

Muni

• All there is.
    • Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2023, 01:33:02 AM »

University of Hawaii will send you Home Garden Packets (HGP) for several varieties at very affordable prices.

Thank you!
Allow yourself to know, if you wish, that this is a multi dimensional communication.
See what happens.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2023, 07:56:54 PM »

Fantastic! Thank you!

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2023, 07:15:25 AM »
Ive eaten numerous times the small ones that i sometimes find in a supermarket here, the variety of them was labeled as solo sunrise.  Those are fine af, really like them. Right now i am germinating some old seeds from one i ate like a year ago ...