Author Topic: Why is my Giant Granadilla flower petals not showing color?  (Read 493 times)

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Why is my Giant Granadilla flower petals not showing color?
« on: February 13, 2023, 10:19:27 PM »
I have a Giant Granadilla that is flowering but the petals don’t have that purple/ pinkish color that you see here: https://www.australianseed.com/shop/item/passionfruit-giant-granadilla
Any ideas why?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Why is my Giant Granadilla flower petals not showing color?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 10:29:06 PM »
You probably got a hybrid or variation, but hard to say. Looks a lot like the flowers on the giant granadilla we grew a while back, don't think it was red either.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 10:37:49 PM »
You probably got a hybrid or variation, but hard to say. Looks a lot like the flowers on the giant granadilla we grew a while back, don't think it was red either.

Thanks. I was kind of worried if may be that; after looking at the followers again, they do look different in other ways. If that’s the case, I’ll find out soon.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 12:07:37 PM »
Seedlings don't come true but will be some sort of hybrid could be better or the other way. Nice plant either way cuttings from known variety is only way to get true species.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 12:27:27 PM »
No need to worry, my edulis from seed makes the typical white flowers but pigmented with purple as well as the anthers. Basically what everyone else is saying, seed grown variation perhaps. The fruit is still just as good

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 02:50:09 PM »
This was actually a cutting but I don’t know if the original seller grew it from seed. The leaves do look like GG but we’ll see.