Author Topic: Heat mat recommendation?  (Read 7050 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Heat mat recommendation?
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »
I just received 2 10" TR Hovey dwar papayas. They're in my portable greenhouse inside the garage under a MH growlight. These payapas are supposed to grow pretty quickly, and from what I've read they like the roots to be around 65 F and above. I'm contemplating wrapping their pots with a heat mat. So what kind of mat/pad have you used, pros/cons?
Thanks,

dnt72800

Re: Heat mat recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 09:13:40 PM »
NewGen
Try flexwatt heat tape.....It is very cost effiecient and seems to work great for me so far........
cheers
DT

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:30:47 PM »
Interesting product, intended for reptile pets. Do you use it for pets or plants? Do you have the thermostat too?
Thanks,

Flex Watt Heat Tape - How To Use For Heating Reptiles

dnt72800

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:02:24 PM »
NewGen
It is mainly for my insects.... :). I breed feeder insects for my pets. Been using it for a couple of years now with no problem.Stay away from the 3"(melt easy/heat concentrate in one area).The 11" works great for me. No need for thermostat........
I use it as a bottom heat for my seeds/seedlings for over a month now.
cheers
DT
http://beanfarm.com/index.php?cPath=1204_1205

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:21:56 PM »
How hot does it get? I will use this in my garage, it's pretty cold at night, so maybe it's not a big deal. I just don't want it to get real hot, I think the video mentioned up to 120 F.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:31:13 PM »
I do not use a heat mat.  Instead, I use my garage water heater as a source of heat.  I place my seeds inside ziplock bags with wet paper towels.   It works great!

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:44:57 PM »
I've had my 2 year old TR Hovey on a plain seed germination-type heat mat through the winter here in MO in a GH kept at 55F with no troubles.

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 11:33:57 PM »
I've had my 2 year old TR Hovey on a plain seed germination-type heat mat through the winter here in MO in a GH kept at 55F with no troubles.

How tall is that at 2 years?

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 03:34:43 AM »
I've used Hydrofarm mats the past couple of years with success plus they have different sizes. 

-Ethan

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 07:47:16 AM »

How tall is that at 2 years?

Around thee feet and just starting to bloom when the weather got cold last fall.  Winters it just sits there.  Jay complained of papaya trouble in his Ohio GH but [knock wood] as long as mine get bottom heat during the winter they have done fine.

dnt72800

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 07:46:15 PM »
How hot does it get? I will use this in my garage, it's pretty cold at night, so maybe it's not a big deal. I just don't want it to get real hot, I think the video mentioned up to 120 F.
Newgen
The 3" can and will get HOT... but not the 11". I would NEVER use the 3" without a thermostat....even with a thermostat it does not last long..burn/melt/hot spot etc....
It is no use if you can't trap the heat(at the bottom) or have an enclosure. The heat tape is not hot enough to warm the bottom of a container if you keep it out in your garage during the winter...unless you put it directly on the tape(not recommended)/or trap the heat at the bottom. I keep my containers at about 1/8" above the tape......

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 10:49:25 PM »
Newgen
The 3" can and will get HOT... but not the 11". I would NEVER use the 3" without a thermostat....even with a thermostat it does not last long..burn/melt/hot spot etc....
It is no use if you can't trap the heat(at the bottom) or have an enclosure. The heat tape is not hot enough to warm the bottom of a container if you keep it out in your garage during the winter...unless you put it directly on the tape(not recommended)/or trap the heat at the bottom. I keep my containers at about 1/8" above the tape......

I plan on keeping the TR Hoveys inside a greenhouse, which sits inside the garage. How do you keep your containers 1/8" above the tape? Wood shims?

dnt72800

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 01:34:42 PM »
Newgen,
There are many ways of using the heat tape. Some breeders will set their containers directly on the tape or attach it on the side. I leave a tiny gap for air flow in case of heat build up......The tape is attached under my wire rack shelving...inorder to have that gap
I might have 1-2 ft of the 11" already wired. You can have it to try out...It is sitting in my garage somewhere...just have look for it...let me know..
DT

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 02:09:20 PM »
Dnt,

Interesting about the heat tape, I want to set some up, is it pretty easy to work with.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

sultry_jasmine_nights

• NE Florida Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 10:35:31 AM »
I have burnt out 2 hydrofarm heat mats so far. I got a zoo med reptile mat that has lasted several years but it does get a little hot. I think I will try the heat tape next time instead of purchasing another heat mat. I didn't understand how to use it before but the video helped! Thanks for posting that :)
Growing edible and ornamental tropicals and subtropicals and many night bloomers on 4 acres in zone 9a. Learning to live a more self sustainable lifestyle with chickens and other livestock.