Author Topic: Coconut cutting regional differences  (Read 5612 times)

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
Coconut cutting regional differences
« on: October 20, 2013, 08:43:25 PM »
Cutting open a coconut Hawaii vs Trinidad

Coconut cutting Hawaii vs Trinidad
George

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut cutting regional differences
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:46:10 PM »
a little faster in trinidad lol

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 09:27:29 PM »
*shhhhwing* lol

Deadly. I don't think coconut vendors ever get robbed.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 09:38:01 PM »
Ah....that ain't no "master" coconut cutter! Why slice all the way around the coconut just to make one hole in it? I just make one slice cut on side of coconut, and then open up a hole.
Yes people that have been around cocos all their lives definitely are much better at it. But you should know that a very green coconut, like that one in Trinidad, is a LOT softer and easier to cut than a more aged coconut. Actually a very green cocount you don't even need a machete, you can make a drinking hole with a small pocket knife from the stem top.
I think also people in other countries are much better at continuously sharpening their machetes! You need a very sharp one to cut it out of your hand like that!
Oscar

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 09:47:49 PM »
In SE Asia, this is the current craze. It's not about speed, it's about getting ALL of the fresh coconut.

Peeled Coconut Demo at Jusco Aeon Tebrau City (Malaysia)
Thera

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 09:50:57 PM »
That is awesome
George

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 12:38:07 AM »
Amazing, I love it.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 10:39:59 AM »
Also you less likely to miss and take off your hand
- David Antonio Garcia

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 07:07:16 PM »
The way coconuts are opened in Fiji is more primitive than in Southeast Asia.  Here's a short video I made a few years ago with some friends:

Coconuts!

John
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 07:24:42 PM »
Ahndree and Natalie are very cute, and i enjoyed watching the video. But really John any little kid in Fiji can do all of those things 10x faster and better. Some of the fastest climbers i've seen have been in Fiji. That gal cheated by climbing up an already notched tree. BTW this practice is very injurious to the tree. I don't recommend that anyone notch their coconut trees.
Also there is no need to husk a coconut if you are just going to drink it, or even remove the interior pulp. Both can be done a lot easier and faster without removing the husk. If you're going to grate the coconut for cream then husking does help. (Almost nobody grates the coconuts here...too much work, and too lazy, and too cheap to by a can of coconut cream from Thailand.) But really the main reason for husking is to export the coconuts as it lowers their size and weight.
Oscar

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 07:37:19 PM »
Ahndree and Natalie are very cute, and i enjoyed watching the video. But really John any little kid in Fiji can do all of those things 10x faster and better. Some of the fastest climbers i've seen have been in Fiji. That gal cheated by climbing up an already notched tree. BTW this practice is very injurious to the tree. I don't recommend that anyone notch their coconut trees.

Oscar, yes, there are many skilled with opening coconuts here in Fiji.  The tree in the video is on a small deserted island.  We didn't notch it, and I agree it is injurious.  That tree was notched less than halfway up, so Natalie deserves a little credit.

Also there is no need to husk a coconut if you are just going to drink it, or even remove the interior pulp. Both can be done a lot easier and faster without removing the husk. If you're going to grate the coconut for cream then husking does help. (Almost nobody grates the coconuts here...too much work, and too lazy, and too cheap to by a can of coconut cream from Thailand.) But really the main reason for husking is to export the coconuts as it lowers their size and weight.

The nut is husked because it allows easier access to the flesh after drinking the unripe "bu" coconut. 

We always scrape and squeeze with water to acquire coconut cream or milk - though canned creat can be found in the major towns.  Canned fish in towns, too.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 08:26:38 PM »

Oscar, yes, there are many skilled with opening coconuts here in Fiji.  The tree in the video is on a small deserted island.  We didn't notch it, and I agree it is injurious.  That tree was notched less than halfway up, so Natalie deserves a little credit.

The nut is husked because it allows easier access to the flesh after drinking the unripe "bu" coconut.

We always scrape and squeeze with water to acquire coconut cream or milk - though canned creat can be found in the major towns.  Canned fish in towns, too.

John, i can 1/2 a coconut very easily even with the husk on. It takes longer to take the husk off then to cut through the husk. I've done it hundreds, maybe thousands of times.
BTW, someone here invented a contraption that very easily husks the coconut. Much better than a pointed stick.
Oscar

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 08:36:04 PM »
John, i can 1/2 a coconut very easily even with the husk on. It takes longer to take the husk off then to cut through the husk. I've done it hundreds, maybe thousands of times.
BTW, someone here invented a contraption that very easily husks the coconut. Much better than a pointed stick.

That's great.  I am sharing how it is done in Fiji. As I wrote initially, it's a bit more primitive.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 08:41:57 PM »
I don't like any of these videos, too violent
Here's one I like, check out the form ;D  factually incorrect but what the heck...

How to eat Star Apple fruit (Vu Sua) :: Vietnam Fruits
Tim

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
Some restaurants here in Thailand use the fresh coconutmilk/cream in their recipes and that tastes much better then the one in the packs.

On the markets they have a hydraulic press or huge centrifuge to get the milk.

• Coconut milk: Coconut milk has the liquid consistency of cow's milk and is made from simmering one part shredded coconut in one part water. Coconut milk is the basis of most Thai curries.

• Coconut cream: Coconut cream is much thicker and richer. It is made from simmering four parts shredded coconut in one part water. The cream that rises to the top of a can of coconut milk is also considered coconut cream.

• Cream of coconut: Cream of coconut is a sweetened version of coconut cream, and is often used for desserts and mixed drinks. Because of the added sugar, it is usually not interchangeable with coconut cream.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:48:59 PM by bangkok »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 10:09:45 PM »
Coconut cream is just the shredded hard coconuts meat that has been scaped off and squezeed in a cloth. There is no need to simmer, or to add water, or to add sugar, or to add or do anything else.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 10:15:48 PM »

That's great.  I am sharing how it is done in Fiji. As I wrote initially, it's a bit more primitive.

I think the folks in Fiji make better use of their coconuts, even with the simpler tech than practically anywhere else in the planet. BTW i like those Fijian cane knives, i'm gonna have to get me one.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 11:09:01 PM »
Coconut cream is just the shredded hard coconuts meat that has been scaped off and squezeed in a cloth. There is no need to simmer, or to add water, or to add sugar, or to add or do anything else.

Oscar i copied that text from some website but i don't agree with it.

For me coconutmilk is the juice that you get after cold pressing (or centrifuge) the coconut-meat.

Then the Thai use the meat again, add warm water (not hot)  and squeeze-filter it again. The liquid from that is put in the fridge and then the cream will float on top just like with cow-milk.

There sure is a difference between coconut milk and coconut cream.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 11:36:28 PM »
In Fiji we add water to the shredded coconut when harvesting milk or cream.  The shredded meat is hand-kneaded/pressed and the water allows the oil to leave the shredded flesh since it is a low-pressure operation.   With a higher pressure press the water shouldn't be necessary.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 12:24:28 AM »
In Fiji we add water to the shredded coconut when harvesting milk or cream.  The shredded meat is hand-kneaded/pressed and the water allows the oil to leave the shredded flesh since it is a low-pressure operation.   With a higher pressure press the water shouldn't be necessary.

The adding of warm water and squeeze again is not done on the markets who have a hydraulic press. That is how locals do it at home. Correct me if i 'm wrong but i thought they add warm water to make the fats more liquid so they will come out of the fibres more easy.

Last week i made icecream with fresh cocomilk from the market but i almost don't taste the coconutflavour. Next time i will make it with fresh cococream to see if that tastes better.

There is another product that might be availlable in the USA and that is called Santen. It is a block of hardened coconut and also tastes great.  http://www.indo-culinary.com/ingredient/410-santen.html

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 12:51:27 AM »
CUT a coconut?  But then it won't sprout!  I PLANTED mine, and now I have a coconut tree. Of course, I would like to eat it's children... and I will probably make a mess out of trying to open the seeds, no matter which method I use...

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 02:43:11 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_cream

The coconut milk is refrigerated and allowed to set. Coconut cream is the thick non-liquid part that separates and rises to the top of the coconut milk.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk