Author Topic: Golden Queen Mango?  (Read 48266 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Golden Queen Mango?
« on: April 03, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
Is the Golden Queen a synonym for the Ivory mango? It looks similar

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/130838/Exotic+Grafted+Golden+Queen+Mango
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Queen Mango?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 12:22:24 AM »
Is the Golden Queen a synonym for the Ivory mango? It looks similar

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/130838/Exotic+Grafted+Golden+Queen+Mango
Isn't the mango in that picture a little big  for an Ivory ?
- Rob

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 12:35:19 AM »
Forgive my ignorance but isn't Ivory a Thai mango?  Golden Queen (jin huang) mango is Taiwanese.
Tim

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 12:51:49 AM »
Forgive my ignorance but isn't Ivory a Thai mango?  Golden Queen (jin huang) mango is Taiwanese.
Now isn't it fitting the global moderator points out that Thailand and Taiwan are not the same.  ;D ;) :P
- Rob

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 06:52:53 AM »
Here is pic of an ivory from last years Fairchild mango festival, as you can see the ivory is a smaller size mango. My tasting notes were no sour taste, fiberless, creamy with hint of vanila. Haven't tasted any mango like it! Is it your plan to still graft more trees up Jeff? Keep me posted if you decide...

From looking at that sellers picture that mango does not look like this ivory mango but that sellers pics are small.

_JoeP450

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 12:09:51 PM »
Jeff - now that I'm re-reading this post, my apology if I came off sounding like a jerk  ;D

I've been curious about this mango for some time now.  Also a bit curious as to why, perhaps marketing value, they changed the name from Jin Huang to Golden Queen mango.  If so, I would hate to see someone's hard work becoming someone else's cash cow. Of course I'm assuming all this, for all I know, they could have purchased renaming right from the original breeder himself, or it's also called Golden Queen in Taiwan?  If anyone has further knowledge on this, I would love to hear what you have to say.
Tim

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 03:49:01 PM »
:-) No, I didn't take it that way. Thanks for saying though. After searching the net a little, I pretty much figured out that the golden queen is most likely not ivory. It sounds like a really interesting mango though. I guess it's a seedling of the nam doc mai. The trick is finding budwood for this baby.

Jeff

Jeff - now that I'm re-reading this post, my apology if I came off sounding like a jerk  ;D

I've been curious about this mango for some time now.  Also a bit curious as to why, perhaps marketing value, they changed the name from Jin Huang to Golden Queen mango.  If so, I would hate to see someone's hard work becoming someone else's cash cow. Of course I'm assuming all this, for all I know, they could have purchased renaming right from the original breeder himself, or it's also called Golden Queen in Taiwan?  If anyone has further knowledge on this, I would love to hear what you have to say.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 04:03:02 PM »
...I guess it's a seedling of the nam doc mai. The trick is finding budwood for this baby.

Jeff
That's what I'd gathered too, hence my immediate connection to Xoài Tượng, came to find out this Jin Huang mango was imported in 1997 from Taiwan so there went that assumption. 

I'm sure someone in HI has this mango, Oscar just has to do some digging for us  ;D
Tim

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 04:04:28 PM »
i know a guy with a tree, but he doesn't give out budwood...sorry for posting this...I guess it's no help. :(
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 04:08:24 PM »
i know a guy with a tree, but he doesn't give out budwood...sorry for posting this...I guess it's no help. :(
Google earth should work, what's his address?  ;D ;D ;D
Tim

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 04:48:54 PM »
If oscar has budwood, then jeff wants to buy some :-).

...I guess it's a seedling of the nam doc mai. The trick is finding budwood for this baby.

Jeff
That's what I'd gathered too, hence my immediate connection to Xoài Tượng, came to find out this Jin Huang mango was imported in 1997 from Taiwan so there went that assumption. 

I'm sure someone in HI has this mango, Oscar just has to do some digging for us  ;D

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 06:13:48 PM »
Have you been able to find a source for the Golden Queen ( Jin Huang ) or any other information?  sounds like an interesting variety.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:41:53 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 11:17:34 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm positive that the Golden Queen of Taiwan is not the Ivory of Thailand. I have eaten the Golden Queen in Thailand many times and it is never as slim/narrow as an Ivory. Funny thing when fruits are imported to other countries their original/names names are usually lost. Not always, though >> Nam Doc Mai, etc.

The Ivory is probably not called "Ivory" in Thailand (at least as far as I have seen). Mangoes in Thailand have Thai names, so I'm pretty sure I've eaten an Ivory over the course of a year there (mango binge for the entire time!) but I just didn't know it.

The Golden Queen on the other hand, is labeled as "Taiwan mango" in upscale Paragon-International Market, in Bangkok. The fruit tag on the mangoes have "Golden Queen" written on them in impossibly small letters. The fruit tree nurseries in Chatuchak have the Taiwan mango labeled as "Kim Hong, Jing Hwong, Jin Hwang" probably because the Thai language is phonetical, with complex tones, and with an even more complex alphabet-- which does not transfer over to English easily. Adding to the confusion, the Taiwanese keep improving their strains of Golden Queen mangoes via annual mango competitions, and have read of several improved strains grown locally in Taiwan. This is all, of course, IMHO and experience.

I do have two seedlings of the Golden Queen BUT sorry to report that they are most certainly monoembryonic in every instance I have seen (around 12 seedlings total grown in Thailand) and under my local conditions, the seedlings struggle a bit. Low/moderate anthracnose resistance but very vigorous. Mine were both stunted severely by grubs recently. Heaven weeps.... Now I am trying to initiate multi-rootstock to increase vigor... I just started with them, so we will see what I have in a few years... or maybe 20?

Greenthumb on eBay sells Golden Queen (or something very very similar) from time to time... Taiwan mango...Kim Hong.. Jin Hwang...Jin Hwong... who knows what is being sold by who anymore? I kid..LOL
✌🏽

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 01:09:38 AM »
If oscar has budwood, then jeff wants to buy some :-).

Jeff

Sorry don't have it, never heard of it.
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 01:56:25 AM »
Bernie Dixon is the only source I'm aware of, have only seen him logged on twice. Check with him via email on getting scions, perhaps it's possible.
Tim

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 03:18:47 PM »
Here is pic of an ivory from last years Fairchild mango festival, as you can see the ivory is a smaller size mango. My tasting notes were no sour taste, fiberless, creamy with hint of vanila. Haven't tasted any mango like it! Is it your plan to still graft more trees up Jeff? Keep me posted if you decide...

From looking at that sellers picture that mango does not look like this ivory mango but that sellers pics are small.

_JoeP450

Ivory is an amazing mango...super creamy you could eat it with a spoon. I  tasted a hint of guava what an unusual tasting mango!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 03:27:29 PM »
I ended up buying a golden queen tree from the guy on ebay. The tree was in really bad shape and eventually died. However, I was quick enough to harvest budwood from the dying tree and now have a couple tiny grafted trees :-).

Hi everyone,
I'm positive that the Golden Queen of Taiwan is not the Ivory of Thailand. I have eaten the Golden Queen in Thailand many times and it is never as slim/narrow as an Ivory. Funny thing when fruits are imported to other countries their original/names names are usually lost. Not always, though >> Nam Doc Mai, etc.

The Ivory is probably not called "Ivory" in Thailand (at least as far as I have seen). Mangoes in Thailand have Thai names, so I'm pretty sure I've eaten an Ivory over the course of a year there (mango binge for the entire time!) but I just didn't know it.

The Golden Queen on the other hand, is labeled as "Taiwan mango" in upscale Paragon-International Market, in Bangkok. The fruit tag on the mangoes have "Golden Queen" written on them in impossibly small letters. The fruit tree nurseries in Chatuchak have the Taiwan mango labeled as "Kim Hong, Jing Hwong, Jin Hwang" probably because the Thai language is phonetical, with complex tones, and with an even more complex alphabet-- which does not transfer over to English easily. Adding to the confusion, the Taiwanese keep improving their strains of Golden Queen mangoes via annual mango competitions, and have read of several improved strains grown locally in Taiwan. This is all, of course, IMHO and experience.

I do have two seedlings of the Golden Queen BUT sorry to report that they are most certainly monoembryonic in every instance I have seen (around 12 seedlings total grown in Thailand) and under my local conditions, the seedlings struggle a bit. Low/moderate anthracnose resistance but very vigorous. Mine were both stunted severely by grubs recently. Heaven weeps.... Now I am trying to initiate multi-rootstock to increase vigor... I just started with them, so we will see what I have in a few years... or maybe 20?

Greenthumb on eBay sells Golden Queen (or something very very similar) from time to time... Taiwan mango...Kim Hong.. Jin Hwang...Jin Hwong... who knows what is being sold by who anymore? I kid..LOL

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 03:32:27 PM »
Nicely done, Jeff.
Here's to you not getting the Patrick treatment from this guy ;D cheers!
Tim

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 05:08:34 PM »
Cool Jeff, now i know where i will be able to get one of these from when the time comes. 

Thank the gods for the wonderful collectors. ;D
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 07:10:07 PM »
:-) whether or not it's really golden queen (and not a maha chanot) is still an open question.

Nicely done, Jeff.
Here's to you not getting the Patrick treatment from this guy ;D cheers!

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 08:06:02 AM »
I ended up buying a golden queen tree from the guy on ebay. The tree was in really bad shape and eventually died. However, I was quick enough to harvest budwood from the dying tree and now have a couple tiny grafted trees :-).

Hi everyone,

Clever, clever CookieMonster!!  What a smart guy! That's how you recover your costs for sure! Buy one tree and get several more in the process. LOL! I didn't have the guts to buy from him after my shipment was tied up at the local customs office... Several trees died waiting to be released, with a single seedless guava surviving. Such an expensive mistake and initial learning experience for me... Wish I had done what you did instead.
So... apparently the "Golden Queen" has arrived in the U.S..... eBay guy seems to be somewhat truthful about his plants if that Maha someone ordered from him turns out to be just that... I'm still waiting for my seedless guava to fruit, then I will see for myself if he is really truthful.
✌🏽

Picko Jack

• Malang, East Java - Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 03:28:47 AM »
is the mistery of golden queen mango unsolved yet? because there new member named Bern from piliphine who said has the plant and even offer some budwood. maybe he know this golden queen true ID?
i have my own story about it :
tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=221.msg36944#msg36944
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:31:05 AM by Picko Jack »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 04:20:08 AM »
It sure looks like one of the elephant tusk thai types alright and several of these types have been renamed in other SE Asian countries.My thai contact said it is a common and good thai mango.The name ivory may indicate an elephant tusk origin.

I also cleared another question I had about sam ru du and choc anon if they are the same thing.They are not, choc anon is not considered high quality being like a poor okrung.It does often fruit out of season.Sam ru du by contrast is a highly valued village mango and is a lovely tasting type that crops three times during the year.There are similarities in appearance.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 11:44:02 AM »
is the mistery of golden queen mango unsolved yet? because there new member named Bern from piliphine who said has the plant and even offer some budwood. maybe he know this golden queen true ID?
i have my own story about it :
tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=221.msg36944#msg36944

Has anyone here ever order scions or plants from B. Dizon ?  If so, how is it done and how did it go?
William

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 06:23:31 PM »
Making another trip State side, in a few weeks, and just checking to see if there are any sources for this mango in Fla.  I know my chances are slim but what the heck, gotta keep on trying.
William