Author Topic: Wani (Mangifera caesia) cold hardiness ?  (Read 769 times)

Benoit30

• France (NÓmes) zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Acclimatons
Wani (Mangifera caesia) cold hardiness ?
« on: October 15, 2023, 03:12:14 AM »
Hello,
Everything is in the title!
What is the cold tolerance of the white mango or Wani ?
It's such a good fruit ! It's cultivated in Bali.

I think it is very frost sensitive, but last month I discovered a Kweni (Mangifera odorata) in Ligurie (north of Italy) without protection. So maybe Wani is also 9b/10a ????
Acclimating white sapote, avocado, mango, cherimoya in marginal zone 9 climate. https://acclimatons.com/

Benoit30

• France (NÓmes) zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Acclimatons
Re: Wani (Mangifera caesia) cold hardiness ?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 04:32:08 AM »
I'm afraid nobody grows this fruit? It's a shame, because it's probably one of the best! Maybe not as good as the durian, but not far off!!!!
I'm posting a few photos of fruit (the flavor is reminiscent of soursop, only sweeter and milder).

Acclimating white sapote, avocado, mango, cherimoya in marginal zone 9 climate. https://acclimatons.com/

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 08:39:57 AM »
Sure, we grow it. But by Ďnobodyí you mean those living in unsuitable areas?
Peter

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 09:12:35 AM »
Peter
Peter,
how do you rate the fruit?
Better than mango?

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 09:50:23 AM »
I have Wani Mango growing in northern Uganda at 3200ft/1100m above sea level. I got the seeds in 2018 from Seed Pirates. It is growing slowly and has now just started branching. I think it is not really hot or humid enough here but it does keep growing, it is now 6ft tall. Of course we don't have any frost or very low temperatures. Hoping one day to get fruit.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 09:53:19 AM by Mvule101 »

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 07:57:54 PM »
Wani is a good fruit. I donít have it in production yet but I have eaten the fruit in Sabah, Borneo.
I donít want to compare it to the fine mangoes that are most commonly discussed on this forum. Wani is very different and is generally appreciated. I was actually unaware of this mango when I came upon it at a botanical collection. We were shocked by the very white flesh and impressed with the nice tasting fruit.
Peter

Benoit30

• France (NÓmes) zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Acclimatons
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2023, 06:04:51 AM »
Wani is a good fruit. I donít have it in production yet but I have eaten the fruit in Sabah, Borneo.
I donít want to compare it to the fine mangoes that are most commonly discussed on this forum. Wani is very different and is generally appreciated. I was actually unaware of this mango when I came upon it at a botanical collection. We were shocked by the very white flesh and impressed with the nice tasting fruit.
Peter

In the 90s, I worked at Orkos, which offered exotic fruits that were rare in Europe. We had selected Wani from Bali because they were really superior to other varieties (less fibrous, juicier and sweeter). And even in these conditions, there's a lot of variability from one tree to another and according to the degree of ripeness at harvest.

Peter

Peter, am I to understand from your answer that there's no chance of the Wani adapting to the Mediterranean region like the others in the mangifera genus?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 06:06:50 AM by Benoit30 »

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2023, 09:07:31 AM »
Wani does vary and some people seek out a sour one for certain things they make.
Wani deserves a process of selection as has occurred with m. indica.

Perhaps Wani can adapt to a Mediterranean climate. But keep in mind that indica is more sun tropical than the mangoes from Borneo. Having said that, there are Borneo mangoes in production in South Florida and other places so it remains to be seen. Is m. odorata in production somewhere in the Med or California?
The climate at my farm is very similar to Borneo/Malay peninsula. I canít grow select mangoes here. Itís too humid so we donít get production.
Peter

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2023, 11:57:48 AM »
I don't believe Odorata is alive in CA. Would be worth grafting on a large tree in SD/OC and see what happens.

The hypothetical around Wani that exists the most is how the hell do you get seeds from Indo to your farm?
I haven't found that answer yet. I am hopeful it comes into production in HI soon and we can get some seed's flowing around much easier and fresher.
That should turn the corner on this fruit as access to scion , seed , and knowledge of its existence are the hold ups I see.
I liked it better than Kuini or Kasturi..

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2023, 12:18:37 PM »
Not all mangifera caesia are the same. I tried m. caesia in sabah as well but I was not impressed with the flavor. It wasnít sour but it had an off-putting flavor to it. I hear the Wani they grow in Bali is superior in flavor compared with what is found on Borneo. It would be interesting to know whether the fruit and seed Peter acquired originally came from the Wani selected in Bali or did it come from a superior selection of m. Caesia that grows on Borneo? I thought the sweet Wani most people refer is generally only found in Bali.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 06:04:51 PM by ben mango »

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2023, 10:15:36 PM »
I didnít bring the Wani that I have and will double check itís origin but I got it from somebody very reliable.
We ate the Wani at the botanical park in Tenom and it was pretty good. I also noticed in nearby markets piles of local mangoes were sometimes labeled manis, (sweet) so customers would know as there is good demand for sour mangoes as well.

Good to have current information for these places. Lindsay advised me not to go to Sarawak early this year as her sources reported a poor season. The problem is that Iím trying to book a nice flight with miles and itís best to do well ahead. Somewhere should be good once I get over there!
Peter

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2023, 06:04:28 PM »
After more research and exploring a bit more here in Borneo I came to realize there are at least 2 different types of mangifera caesia, if not more. Supposedly, if they have brown skin they are considered the more sour type, green skin should indicate itís a sweeter type. The one I tried yesterday was quite nice, tasting somewhere between a pear and a soursop.  Iím still unsure if the ones in Bali are considered superior or not. would be good to hear from someone who has tried fruits from both regions.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2023, 12:30:55 PM »
How does it seem in Borneo right now?  Are there a lot of rare fruits available, how about different durians?  What sort of stuff are you running into and how has this trip compared to others in Borneo?  It sounds to me like you must be in Sabah.  What about Sarawak? 
Iíd appreciate more insight into your current experience in Borneo.
Thanks
Peter

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2023, 07:11:40 PM »
Hey Peter, the season is definitely in full swing here in Sabah. I ventured out to Sipitang yesterday and found lots of stalls with plenty of durian and dabai around. Itís interesting to me that dabai is practically non-existent in KK and even in other surrounding regions such as Nabalu and Kundasang there is none at the markets. Then when I went to Sipitang I bought more than I think I will be able to eat because I was so excited to find them. There are some other mangifera species around such as caesia and pajang. Lots of terap, mangosteen, cempedak, possibly more than I have seen the last times I visited. found kutejensis and oxyleanus in Nabalu. As well as red graveolens. Lots of graveolens in Sipitang, one I tried yesterday was the best Iíve tried so far , very good flesh to seed ratio and sticky. For durians in KK, many types are available such as musang king, d101, Sarawak king (havenít tried yet), d8, susu etc. I might venture out to Sarawak in a week or 2, still deciding whatís next.

I posted some videos on YouTube feel free to check them out - https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCtvuvgYR649iB80Axuyue-w

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2023, 07:52:49 PM »
Great seeing those videos, answers my questions. Itís certainly happening. I am planning on a trip for next year including Sabah so this seems like a pretty good time. Thereís some stuff youíre seeing that we didnít see in July.
Thanks again
Peter

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2023, 07:53:06 PM »
Between pear and soursop!

Wow, sounds like a bucket list type fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk