Author Topic: What are the lowest light requried fruit trees  (Read 10624 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What are the lowest light requried fruit trees
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 07:46:56 AM »
As was mentioned, coffee basically requires shade and miracle fruit can flower and fruit heavily even with no sunlight, although I believe it does grow quicker if it gets some sunlight. To set fruit, just give it a quick shake every once in a while.
The opposite happened to me with miracle fruit. I had mine in a north facing window with no blinds, and supplemental fluorescent lighting at a few inches away for 4 hours at night. It produced flower buds but eventually aborted all of them. This was when I lived in San Diego near La Jolla. If it's not the lack of light then maybe the cool coastal temps was responsible. Although I have a friend by the coast that has no problem fruiting her plant. She owns her house so isn't restricted by where to grow things like I was.

It will set fruit fine here without shsking.  I have witnessed plants in a greenhouse setting fruit where they are undisturbed.   I will do some sampling and shaking some to see if fruit set increases.  With respect to light conditions,  it does much better in shade here.
I am in San Diego. My miracle fruit plant is in the ground year-round and has already seen a winter. It does just fine; no need for moving it indoors. But as I mentioned you must shake it to set fruit.
- Rob

texas_girl

• Started my Fruit Collection in 2015
    • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2015, 04:13:09 PM »
How about Pitangatuba. I have a few seedlings they need full sun or not. I planted them this summer in the ground. But most of them are not looking that good, except one which is in difused light. They don`t need that much sun?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2015, 04:38:49 PM »
How about Pitangatuba. I have a few seedlings they need full sun or not. I planted them this summer in the ground. But most of them are not looking that good, except one which is in difused light. They don`t need that much sun?

they really don't perform well under low light conditions...and the fruit doesn't taste as good either

max sunlight is best
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

texas_girl

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 04:49:51 PM »

This two plants are just planted like three ft away from each other, you clearly can see the difference. The healthy looking plant gets morning sun, afternoon shade, is protected from harsh winds and the other one is planted in full sun. But the sun is maybe to hot. It is getting pretty hot here in the Summer, always over 90-105. They really get blazed with sun.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 04:51:52 PM by texas_girl »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 04:58:54 PM »
small plants like protection for sure, (from cold, and drought especially)

keeping them in deep shade as adult plants might help the the foliage look prettier, but will reduce fruit production and quality of flavor.

they can handle very high heat, they just won't enjoy the dry air, or drought...

don't worry about the seedling that got leaf damage, that is normal this time of year
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

texas_girl

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2015, 05:06:38 PM »
It is not in complete shade. Just protected. Next year I want take out some of the native overgrown bushes and replace them with something else what let more light in
The leaf color maybe come from nutrition deficiency?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2015, 05:45:14 PM »
It is not in complete shade. Just protected. Next year I want take out some of the native overgrown bushes and replace them with something else what let more light in
The leaf color maybe come from nutrition deficiency?

the leaf color is just because of typical stress...(the plant is definitely hungry for nitrogen, but not deficient in any trace element)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2015, 03:12:05 AM »
Also a lot of young plants do best with shade or filtered light, because that's exactly what seedlings typically get in nature. The mature plant can handle sun.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2015, 04:48:35 AM »
Many plants can bear fruit in shade, but what's about their flavour? (compared to those grown in full sun??)?

Which are the trees that produce good tasting (not too acid etc..) fruits in shade?? and not just few fruits for plant..

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2015, 10:36:51 AM »
monstera deliciosa thrives and fruits heavy in full shade

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2015, 01:51:16 AM »
Australian finger lime, Davidson's Plum, Paw paw (asimina triloba), Arctic kiwi (actinidia kolomikta), orange kiwi (actinidia polygama).

If there are any eugenia experts on this thread, I'd like advice on the understorey-fruiting ability rank of these three spp.: involucrata, brasiliensis, candolleana.

Thanks.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2015, 12:29:10 PM »
Has anyone seen a shaded out caimito fruiting?  I found out after planting, that I don't really like the fruit all that much (at least so far), but the tree is doing so well that I may leave it.  It will get indirect sunlight throughout the day (through another tree's canopy) and direct light at certain times of the year. 

Will it have a chance to fruit?
Jeff,  my Caimito is just right next to. a large deciduous wild tree who shade it from july through December,  and give a good amount of fruits every year, they are only
5 feet away....
El verde es vida!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2015, 12:33:52 PM »
Has anyone seen a shaded out caimito fruiting?  I found out after planting, that I don't really like the fruit all that much (at least so far), but the tree is doing so well that I may leave it.  It will get indirect sunlight throughout the day (through another tree's canopy) and direct light at certain times of the year. 

Will it have a chance to fruit?
Jeff,  my Caimito is just right next to. a large deciduous wild tree who shade it from july through December,  and give a good amount of fruits every year, they are only
5 feet away....

Thanks, Raul.  I will leave it where it is and see what happens.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2015, 11:07:18 PM »
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration