Author Topic: Sri Gading Chempadak Relative  (Read 2594 times)

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
Sri Gading Chempadak Relative
« on: June 27, 2017, 04:30:06 PM »
A friend surprised me and brought back a grafted "Sri Gading" tree from Frankie's yesterday. I cannot find much info about this on the web.  Google just names this as a city in Malaysia. Which matches the info we got from Frankies.

Accompanying the tree was also a fruit. The fruit was better than a jack, sweet with a light spice flavor (peppery tang). Other people that tasted it didn't taste any spice flavor. One of my kids (who normally devours the durians and jackfruits) didn't care for this one. The core would strip the fruit more like a chempadak.  Some fruit-experts who tasted it yesterday said it tasted more like a jack than a chempadak.

I should have taken a picture of the fruit. The fruit was about 4lbs. About 18" long, and 6" in diameter..

I am excited to plant it, hopefully today.

On a side note. Second hand I hear Frankies no longer ships  :(  I guess that means more trips to Oahu (and renting a bigger car).

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: Sri Gading Chempadak Relative
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:55:04 PM »
Congrats, what a good friend and great surprise!  I wonder if maybe it is chempeJack (A.heterophyllus x A. Integer)?

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 10:17:05 PM »
the chempejack he does have is labeled "nangka dak"  -from the pic, i don't notice any fuzz/hairs on the stem/leaves which would indicate its chempedak. hybrids don't have the fuzz. i would call or ask them more about it next time you're at their place.

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 03:55:18 PM »
Yes, Sri Gading is a chempejak.  We're eating ChNa, or "Cheena" now.  Like all chempejak I've tried, the leaves and tree characteristics, even the skin and size of the fruit, look like jackfruit and the flesh closely resembles chempedak.  I've also planted Sri Gading (CH39) and Nangka dak (scionwood from Frankie).  I think Frankie has brought in a couple more chempejak cultivars but Sri Gading is reputed to be the best of his imports. 

I know of only three chempedak cvs in the US.  CH26, CH35, and "Red", an orange fleshed cv.  I think it was DurianWriter who recently sent in seed of a red and the "Durian" chempedak.  I haven't had any good seedling chempedak in Hawaii yet.

Plant more chempedak and chempejak, they're awesome.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 08:33:21 PM »
Hi Steph I met you some years ago in n. Kohala. nice to see you posting on here. i saw a video awhile back of your place and it looks amazing, would love to visit sometime.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 04:56:17 AM »
A friend surprised me and brought back a grafted "Sri Gading" tree from Frankie's yesterday. I cannot find much info about this on the web.  Google just names this as a city in Malaysia. Which matches the info we got from Frankies.

Accompanying the tree was also a fruit. The fruit was better than a jack, sweet with a light spice flavor (peppery tang). Other people that tasted it didn't taste any spice flavor. One of my kids (who normally devours the durians and jackfruits) didn't care for this one. The core would strip the fruit more like a chempadak.  Some fruit-experts who tasted it yesterday said it tasted more like a jack than a chempadak.

I should have taken a picture of the fruit. The fruit was about 4lbs. About 18" long, and 6" in diameter..

On a side note. Second hand I hear Frankies no longer ships  :(  I guess that means more trips to Oahu (and renting a bigger car).

went to frankie's yesterday and saw a number of these grafted hybrids for sale and a bunch of the fruit was on sale. i should've bought but wife would kill me if i brought home.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 09:20:21 PM »

couldn't help myself and bought a sri gading myself today @ frankies.  was told that it takes on the jackfruit characteristic or being wind resistant as opposed to chempedak.  they planted their tree on a part of the property that takes constant tradewinds and what not. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk