Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 59698 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #500 on: March 24, 2023, 01:06:09 PM »
I finally also found some female M Cerifera flowers so now I know what they look like.
Here’s a couple male blooms first

And a couple female flowers

And my grafted An Hai female flower finally opened up

Simon

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 25, 2023, 03:17:20 PM »
simon-

I sent you a pm but figured I would also post here to try tog et the wisdom of the crowd-

My Biqi from the last order has just started to push, but at a bit of a weird location

Would you (anyone) trim the wood that is above the new growth? leave it be?

cheers

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 25, 2023, 04:22:46 PM »
Hi elouicious, glad to see your tree is growing.  I wouldn't trim anything yet.  I would wait until the tree really gets established with good root system before trying to shape it.  Any leaves that grow just help the plant photosynthesize.

Janet
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 04:25:19 PM by JCorte »

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 25, 2023, 07:18:07 PM »
Thanks Janet!

for some reason the hardest advice for me is always "do nothing"

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 26, 2023, 01:23:57 AM »
I agree, just leave it for now. Later, once you know for sure there are dead spots, you can cut those out.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 08, 2023, 02:08:53 PM »
Looks like the male M Cerifera didn’t pollinate the female Yangmei flowers or at least not this time. This is the first time this grafted female tree has flowered so it may have aborted anyways but at least for now, looks like it’s a no go.

You can see the dried up female flowers.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 08, 2023, 02:32:19 PM »
My Cerifera rootstocks are also flowering now and I was tagging them as male/female and noticed that many of my plants that flowered as males are now starting to throw female flowers.

Simon

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 09, 2023, 10:51:02 PM »

Split up a community pot of seedlings and they were looking great. Hope they all survive! Really nice fluffy roots. Probably have another 20 or so to split up.

No cold stratifying, just put them in a pot of soil around August last year and they sprouted around December in my greenhouse. Didn’t go lower than 36f in there.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 10, 2023, 03:28:31 PM »
Good going, they look super healthy. Is that Coco Coir you’re using as the soil?

Simon

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 10, 2023, 03:46:26 PM »
Good going, they look super healthy. Is that Coco Coir you’re using as the soil?

Simon

Kellogg Patio Plus with about 30% peat added. The peat kind of floats to the top cause it's lightest.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 11, 2023, 06:52:33 PM »
K-Rimes, where did you get your seeds from? Thanks!

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 11, 2023, 10:08:46 PM »
I've been trying to find the best way to germinate yangmei seeds.
Ronnie Demler on FB wrote up a nice guide on sprouting old yangmei seeds.
He goes in detail on how to crack the seeds open and get fast germination results.
I'm unable to post the link - but it's on the FB yangmei group.
44% for old seeds is not bad at all.

The seeds I've gotten in from recent imports though are all cold stratified and should after experimentation maybe just be put in soil? They are fresh and so the results of people who have gotten them have turned out really good without treatment. I believe this is due to the freshness and cold strat already being applied. My results are still inconclusive, but I did crack some like he did and am trialing to see if it's better. To be honest, I'm not sure as the cost - benefit analysis may favor leaving the endocarp on due to risk of cracking or damaging the seed (for the fresher seeds coming into the US). It seems by cracking the seed with these fresh new ones in the US, you're only saving a matter of weeks, not months, so in the end, it's better to wait as seeds may become damaged.
We will see.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 11, 2023, 11:42:48 PM »
He goes in detail on how to crack the seeds open and get fast germination results.

The seeds I've gotten in from recent imports though are all cold stratified and should after experimentation maybe just be put in soil? They are fresh and so the results of people who have gotten them have turned out really good without treatment. I believe this is due to the freshness and cold strat already being applied. My results are still inconclusive, but I did crack some like he did and am trialing to see if it's better. To be honest, I'm not sure as the cost - benefit analysis may favor leaving the endocarp on due to risk of cracking or damaging the seed (for the fresher seeds coming into the US). It seems by cracking the seed with these fresh new ones in the US, you're only saving a matter of weeks, not months, so in the end, it's better to wait as seeds may become damaged.
We will see.

I realize that months are valuable and feel like ages when you're younger, but to me these are low effort seeds (way less than eugenia) and are not susceptible to rot and such and so, don't over think it. Just throw in some decent potting soil (I think I sowed in Fox Farm Oceant Forest iirc) and then just keep the soil wet.

K-Rimes, where did you get your seeds from?

Calmei fruit. It was extremely expensive, some of the most I've ever paid for a pound of fruit so I wanted to get more value trying to plant the seeds out... I think $50 I paid for 1lb? Anyways, just threw them in a pot and didn't care. I didn't even clean them, literally just spit them out half covered in flesh. I lost a bunch of them to rats / mice or something chewing them down which is common here but evidently there were many more behind it. I would guess I have 30-40 seedlings looking as nice as the one I posted just haven't split the community pots yet.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 12, 2023, 12:07:02 AM »

We will see.

I realize that months are valuable and feel like ages when you're younger, but to me these are low effort seeds (way less than eugenia) and are not susceptible to rot and such and so, don't over think it. Just throw in some decent potting soil (I think I sowed in Fox Farm Oceant Forest iirc) and then just keep the soil wet.

I understand that too, but as someone selling them to others, I want to give them the best choice and quickest results. Up to them if they want to try to speed up germination rates, but yes I agree with you. No need to risk damaging seeds when they'll all germinate just a few weeks later.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 12, 2023, 08:54:16 PM »

Simon

Kellogg Patio Plus with about 30% peat added. The peat kind of floats to the top cause it's lightest.

This dispels the belief that high organic matter is bad for seedlings. Thanks for the info. When I transplanted my Yangmei seedlings, they didn’t like being moved.

Simon

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 13, 2023, 12:56:11 AM »

Simon

This dispels the belief that high organic matter is bad for seedlings. Thanks for the info. When I transplanted my Yangmei seedlings, they didn’t like being moved.

Simon

Don’t really know, I am just lazy and cheap. They haven’t skipped a beat. My experience is that if you keep their medium consistent they don’t shock as much going into a bigger pot or being split. Put them in front of a fan as well to encourage more rooting and stiffen them up. They’ve been in greenhouse so no wind.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 13, 2023, 10:02:04 AM »
Uppotted a bunch from a group tupperware and they are all thriving in FoxFarm OceanForest.  No losses a couple weeks in!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 14, 2023, 11:38:51 AM »
Awesome Nate, I’m also using Foxfarm Oceanforest with great success. All my Yangmei are starting to bust out with new growth. Hopefully everyone’s trees are doing well now that the weather is starting to warm up.

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 14, 2023, 01:00:33 PM »
Happy Froggin' down here =)

windysnow

• Thousand Oaks, CA, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 16, 2023, 01:39:28 AM »
That's great news!

Do you know when? next year or in 5 years?

For those that can wait, I know there will be grafted trees for sale in the future. These trees will be grafted onto M Californica, Cerifera or seedling Rubra.

Simon

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 22, 2023, 06:18:33 PM »

Pretty happy with this yield. They are very tough plants.

ronke47

• Santa Monica, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 23, 2023, 07:35:18 PM »
Hi elouicious, glad to see your tree is growing.  I wouldn't trim anything yet.  I would wait until the tree really gets established with good root system before trying to shape it.  Any leaves that grow just help the plant photosynthesize.

Janet

I am seeing something similar except that my surviving  Dong Kui, the one tree(let?) from the most recent buy that is doing much of anything is also pushing leaves from below the graft.  Although historically I am inclined to protect grafts from being taken over by rootstock, in this case, I am not about to touch anything because my other Dong Kui leafed out and then suddenly croaked.  If the rootstock is all that survives of this Dong Kui -- whose leaf growing tips are sort of browning -- at least I will have something to graft to.  As it happens, I have several Myrica cerifera and myrica californica as well as Biqis in the ground, and I have been steadily pruning small bits from the top of all my December buy to graft.  Either I am the world's worst grafter -- a distinct possibility -- or these are very slow to take because so far I am seeing nothing.    Of course I also tried grafting Marta's  Adam and Eve to my m. cerifera and those also have not taken yet.

Where I am in something of a quandry is with my male Biqi from last March's buy. 

As you can see, it is pretty happy but is suddenly also sprouting from beneath the "graft".  I put the word in quotes because I don't actually see a graft and am aware that we are learning at least some of the so-called male trees are in fact failed grafts and could be of either sex.  But do I just welcome this new growth with open arms, let it grow out so I can graft to it, or prune it away?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 24, 2023, 05:05:15 PM »
That's great news!

Do you know when? next year or in 5 years?

For those that can wait, I know there will be grafted trees for sale in the future. These trees will be grafted onto M Californica, Cerifera or seedling Rubra.

Simon

Not sure yet. I’ve been so busy at work that I haven’t had much time to graft on a commercial scale.

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 24, 2023, 05:59:59 PM »
Success! Late Growing grafted onto m. cerifera. Added Crystal scion.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 24, 2023, 06:08:59 PM »
Looks great Roblack!

Got around to up potting a few today

Always happy to see clean roots