Author Topic: Update: Sangue e Latte - Grafted Plants List (Current Status)  (Read 2132 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
For anyone who was on my Advance List of buying the small grafted plants of the Sangue e Latte, here's my status update.

This is not open to the general public, only the members that are on this list. I am not adding new names (taking orders).

I have tried grafting this scionwood to some rooted mulberry cuttings two times, did not have much success at all. I had two nice size grafted branches which gave fruits each of the last 2 years. But one branch died and I only have one other grafted branch. Since this variety does not grow many side branches to cut for grafting it has been difficult for me to take many cuttings to try and graft on the small, rooted cuttings. Also, I ran out of most of my rooted cuttings I used to graft other varieties.

So, this is the last time I will attempt to graft you a small plant for the sale I promised previously. I have enough cuttings now this year for only the first 10 people on my attached list below. If the grafts fail again, I will not fulfil your advanced order.

If anyone wants to buy the cuttings now instead and attempt to graft it yourself you can, I will only sell you one cutting (no extra), length will be 6", about 1/4" diameter hardened scionwood.

Cost is $15, plus shipping cost of $10.20 = Total Cost => $25.20
Only those people on my list (ID# 1- #10) will have the option by Monday to contact me (PM) and let let me know if you want to purchase it, instead of waiting for me to graft, then sell it to you later after the graft heals.

If you are not on this list, please do not send me any messages asking to buy cuttings or grafted plants, won't happen. Not open for new orders on this waiting list.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 05:11:02 AM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Update: Sangue e Latte - Grafted Plants List (Current Status)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 06:27:49 PM »
Photos of the fruits:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 06:30:10 PM by sc4001992 »

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 07:42:38 PM »
Dang, those are gorgeous berries! Looking forward to the day those are on the market again!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 07:49:27 PM »
Maybe next summer if my last branch grows a lot.

directrepeat

• Austin, Texas USA zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 02:21:35 PM »
I hope the grafts work this year--still very much interested!

Chris

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 04:32:24 PM »
Updated for those that replied. For the others, if I don't hear back, I will assume you want to wait until the graft is good.

(see latest table below)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 11:43:18 PM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2023, 11:42:25 PM »
Last update, the rest of the people on the list (#1-10) will now need to wait until I finish grafting and if the grafts take, I will go in the sequence for who will be able to purchase the grafted plant.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2023, 11:45:21 PM »
I should also mention some good news about this variety. I traded with another of our forum member the Sange e Latte which was a 2yr old graft on a Shangri La rooted cutting. That tree now is over 5 feet tall and looking excellent at his house in a pot. If he allows me to post the photo I will do that latter.

FruitFly

• USA, CA, Sunset Zone17, USDA Zone10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2023, 10:43:02 AM »
Crossing my fingers!🤞

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2023, 11:14:33 AM »
I was able to get 15 cuttings from my tree this year so hopefully many of the grafts are successful. When my tree fruits in the summer I will try to post some photos of the fruits on my only remaining grafted branch.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 12:53:41 AM »
Ok, let me make this clear to everyone on the first 10 position on the list.

I will give you until tomorrow at 5:00pm to let me know if you want to take the option to buy one scionwood instead of waiting for the grafted tree which will cost more since it requires a rootstock and my time to graft and baby it until its ready.

So if you opted to not buy the one scionwood I'm offering now, once I use it up for grafting, if the grafts do not take, I will not be doing any more grafts in the future. Only grafts that are successful will be sold to the first 10 people on this list. Priority order from 1-10. When I contact you later if the grafts are good, you have the option at that time to pay for the grafted plant or refuse to buy it. If I don't get 10 good grafted plants, then the rest of you on the top 10 will not get the opportunity to buy anything (no scionwood or plant).

I will go down the list until all the grafted plants are sold. If I have more than 10 good plants grafted, then I will continue on this list until I have no more plants.

============================
You will have until Wednesday at 5:00pm to let me know if you decided to buy the scionwood and graft it yourself.
============================

« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 12:55:37 AM by sc4001992 »

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2023, 10:25:01 AM »
4/4 cleft graft with your red Himalayan.
0/2 bark graft with your black Pakistan.
1/1 inlay side graft with your black Pakistan.

Difficult to graft Sangue del Latte?
Which method you tried?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2023, 01:15:26 PM »
It's difficult in that I don't have many good rooted cuttings to use for the rootstock. If you graft it on a strong growing tree like the Black Pakistan then it will take fine. For these I'm using 1 yr old rooted cuttings and some are strong others are not so strong. The Sangue e Latte doesn't grow fast like most varieties. I would say it grows about same rate as the Dwarf Geraldi mulberry with skinny straight branches and not much side branches as it grows so I need to be very careful (don't fail) with the few cuttings I can take from my grafted branch.

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2023, 01:49:06 PM »
if any cuttings become available I would like to try grafting it

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2023, 01:51:06 PM »
It will not be this year. If I have any to cut, I will graft it to rooted cuttings before selling any cuttings to public. Maybe people are still waiting a grafted tree, and there is not enough branches as I mentioned above on my tree.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2023, 03:03:12 PM »
Hi Kaz,

I thought I would post a few photos of my Sangue e Latte mulberry I got from you last year for forum members. I recently moved the tree from a #7 container and planted it in the ground. It is now starting to put on new growth and fruit. (See 2nd Photo)

The tree grew well last year in pot and looking forward to more growth this year. Thanks again Kaz.

Johnny

Sangue e Latte (4-4-2022)

Sangue e Latte (5-3-2023)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 03:06:07 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2023, 04:51:11 PM »
Thanks Johnny, great looking tree. I don't know how you got it to grow so much in such a short time.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2023, 07:48:59 PM »
Successfully growing is fairly simple. Good Soil (sandy loam) and good constant watering. This is easy but it's even easier Not to do it.

Johnny

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2023, 08:11:55 PM »
Kaz,

For citrus, we could do bark graft.
Then air-layer below the graft at the same time.
A couple months later we have a grafted AL tree.

You should try a couple on a big mulberry tree.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2023, 08:49:27 PM »
Seanny, no I don't like air layer. I have many citrus multi-grafted trees, never tried to air layer any of them. Same with mulberry, never tried to air layer it, just to much other things I'm doing. But I do air layer the longan and lychee since it is easier than trying to grow from seeds then graft since they take so long to grow from seeds.

For the mulberry, sometimes I accidentally cut off some of my good grafts because I cut it off to sell/trade the branch/scionwood with someone.

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2023, 01:19:06 AM »
What Iím saying is that you graft all left over scions to a big tree and air-layer the grafts.
You donít need potted rootstocks.
Pick a tree that AL easily.

Iím only pointing out an option you could take, for the benefit of the people on waiting list.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2023, 04:41:06 AM »
Yes, I understood what you meant. I do have it grafted already on some of my other trees. But for these, I don't have extras, just enough cuttings to make the first 10 orders. The tree is not that large and not a lot of branches to cut. The ones I recently grafted on my in ground larger tree is for me to keep, not to air layer and sell.

lundHenderson

• nevada
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2023, 12:32:58 PM »
I will drive to Fullerton And pick up if you have any left.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2023, 01:13:05 PM »
It is a very unique color mulberry fruit. That's what got me so intrigued when I first saw the photo and I just needed to get a cutting to graft. Next year there should be many people on this forum growing this variety so it should spread much faster here in the US. I know I like the taste of this fruit, so hard for me to describe these taste evaluations. Last year when all the mulberries were ripe at the same time (Black Pakistan, White Pakistan, Thaie Dwarf, and Sangue e Latte) I gave a sample to my close neighbor who said the White Pakistan is definitely the sweetest but the best tasting to her was the Sangue e Latte. 

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2023, 08:59:49 PM »
Whatís the story on this variety?