Author Topic: Feijoa (pineapple guava) for sale- CLOSED  (Read 1612 times)

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
Feijoa (pineapple guava) for sale- CLOSED
« on: November 08, 2023, 12:16:44 PM »

Closed until next season.

Last box available for season

Feijoa for sale. Very delicious. 
$10 per lb. 4 LB minimum. Box can fill up tp 6 LB. Shipping flate rate medium box $14.75

« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 02:30:29 AM by Pau »

Surfmatt

• FL
    • View Profile
Re: Feijoa (pineapple guava) for sale, 1 box
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 01:21:40 PM »
Hello! If you still have I'd like a 5lb box of feijoa!

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 01:31:10 PM »
Just pmed you.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 01:55:38 PM »
I have a question for you on these fruits. I just tasted some a few weeks ago, not bad tasting.

Can you tell me if these fruits have any nutritional value that is different than other fruits like tropical guava.

Thanks.

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 02:02:04 PM »
I have a question for you on these fruits. I just tasted some a few weeks ago, not bad tasting.

Can you tell me if these fruits have any nutritional value that is different than other fruits like tropical guava.

Thanks.

Great question, I looked it up and it seems very beneficial. My understanding from previous research is that feijoa are not in same family as guavas. So technically, they are their own fruit, I could be wrong. In regards to taste, i have tried farmers market locally and also from Hawaii and mine taste 100% better. Tree came with home when I bought, So i am not sure what variety.

https://www.oldroadestate.co.nz/blogs/news/120830595-health-benefits-of-feijoas#:~:text=Feijoas%20are%20also%20a%20wonderful,role%20in%20regulating%20blood%20pressure.

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 02:05:34 PM »
I looked up the relation to Guavas and feijoa again and some website says it is related...so i am not sure anymore. All i know is the fruit is delicious  ;D

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 02:31:18 PM »
Ok, thank you for the details. The variety I ate was called Naemetz from member Nate.

Since the tree doesn't need to be large to have fruits it doesn't take much space so I may need to get one and graft a few varieties.

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 02:34:10 PM »
Ok, thank you for the details. The variety I ate was called Naemetz from member Nate.

Since the tree doesn't need to be large to have fruits it doesn't take much space so I may need to get one and graft a few varieties.

My whole side yard is pineapple guava. Two types, round and oval. Tree is 15 feet

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 02:35:01 PM »
Box SOLD. Tree still has fruits ripening, will update when enough fruit drops to be 4 lb.

Tropical Sunshine

• USA
    • View Profile
New Zealand breeders have found a few great cultivars, many with larger fruits and/or higher brix than your typical pineapple guavas. One Green World has a couple of them available right now.
Teach a man to fish, and he will be able to catch fish for life.

Teach a man to nurture plants, and he will be able to eat durian, soursop, mangosteen, papaya, rambutan, and guava fruits for life!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
What is the name of the NZ variety?

Tropical Sunshine

• USA
    • View Profile
One Green World current NZ cultivars include Anatoki, Kaiteri, Kakariki, Takaka and Waingaro. The names are rather hard to pronounce, but I heard those fruit qualities are top notch!

One Green World also sells long time favorites such as Nazametz, Unique, and Coolidge.

Teach a man to nurture plants, and he will be able to eat durian, soursop, mangosteen, papaya, rambutan, and guava fruits for life!

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 06:20:40 PM »
I looked up the relation to Guavas and feijoa again and some website says it is related...so i am not sure anymore. All i know is the fruit is delicious  ;D

They are definitely both Myrtaceae, but genetic analyses struggle with the relationships within the myrtle family, and I've seen some pretty strong critiques recently that said many of the genetic studies published over the last 20 years used questionable statistics to build phylogenetic trees that may not be accurate.

But here are two different examples from research papers in the last decade or so, to be taken with a grain of salt since they do not agree with each other at all (I've circled Psidium in green and Acca in pink on both):

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2023, 06:51:03 PM »

They are definitely both Myrtaceae, but genetic analyses struggle with the relationships within the myrtle family, and I've seen some pretty strong critiques recently that said many of the genetic studies published over the last 20 years used questionable statistics to build phylogenetic trees that may not be accurate.

But here are two different examples from research papers in the last decade or so, to be taken with a grain of salt since they do not agree with each other at all (I've circled Psidium in green and Acca in pink on both):

Can feijoa be grafted to guava?

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
No, I don't think feijoa is graft compatible with any true guavas (Psidium sp.).

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2023, 12:51:26 AM »

You should definately get one, not only for the fruits, but for the edible flower pedals. It taste like a scented rose dipped in honey. It whittles too fast, or i would share it with forum.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Ok, you guys convinced me to buy a few trees. I ended up ordering the NZ varieties (4) that
Tropical Sunshine mentioned. I will plant them in ground, then graft all of them onto one tree that grows the best. Get rid of the others in another year since I don't have much space at all in my front and back yard. I am cutting down most of my mulberry trees and some large loquat trees so I can build some sheds for storing my other hobby (motorcycles).

FruitForLife

• Southern CA
    • View Profile
Ok, you guys convinced me to buy a few trees. I ended up ordering the NZ varieties (4) that
Tropical Sunshine mentioned. I will plant them in ground, then graft all of them onto one tree that grows the best. Get rid of the others in another year since I don't have much space at all in my front and back yard. I am cutting down most of my mulberry trees and some large loquat trees so I can build some sheds for storing my other hobby (motorcycles).

I was just googling and researching about these 4 varieties, but I will likely buy one only, still undecided which one to buy, prob Kaiteri.  Canít wait to hear your findings couple years from now

Tropical Sunshine

• USA
    • View Profile
Ok, you guys convinced me to buy a few trees. I ended up ordering the NZ varieties (4) that Tropical Sunshine mentioned.

The Thai giant guava and Mexican cream guava have helped push for the interest of the general guava. I feel that the pineapple guava hasnít been mentioned in mainstream society as much as the former. I wish you the best of luck in planting those NZ varieties from One Green World. Perhaps your posting on the merits of each variety once it fruits could help ignite a stronger interest in the less mentioned, but equally deserving fruit as the pineapple guava...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 08:18:36 AM by Tropical Sunshine »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Yes, glad you mentioned the ones on sale from NZ. It was a forum friend Nate (FV Fruit Freak) that introduced me to the fruit a week ago. I have heard of the pineapple guava but never thought it would be good to eat (taste wise) but he told me to try it and gave me a bag of fruits. He has so many fruits on his tree and the tree itself is very nice looking, you wouldn't think it was a fruit tree.

When I get fruits on the four varieties, I will post the flavor of each one.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 09:34:44 AM by sc4001992 »

Sir Graftalot

• Where the wood at?
    • U.S.A.
    • View Profile
Thanks, Pau! Received my box of feijoas - they're a little bit smaller then the ones I have had before, but yours are a lot more palatable; I can eat these skin and all.

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
Thanks, Pau! Received my box of feijoas - they're a little bit smaller then the ones I have had before, but yours are a lot more palatable; I can eat these skin and all.

Your welcome! I tried eating the skin and all before, but i mainly like eating the inside only, the clear part and the rind.

Sir Graftalot

• Where the wood at?
    • U.S.A.
    • View Profile

Your welcome! I tried eating the skin and all before, but i mainly like eating the inside only, the clear part and the rind.
Of course the inner flesh is a lot better than the skin, but even the skin on these is doable :) Do you happen to know the cultivar, btw?

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
Not sure of cultivar, it came with home. The smaller ones that are completely round like pingpong balls are a different type than the ovals. Both types were shipped. Which one did you like more?

Sir Graftalot

• Where the wood at?
    • U.S.A.
    • View Profile
Not sure of cultivar, it came with home. The smaller ones that are completely round like pingpong balls are a different type than the ovals. Both types were shipped. Which one did you like more?
I like the oval ones better by a tad, just because these are a little bit bigger, but taste wise, they're both very sweet. I'm glad I gave the fruit a second chance. The first time I tried feijoa, I wondered why anyone would want to grow this plant?