Author Topic: for Persimmon (kaki) to keep fruit until mature  (Read 1250 times)

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
for Persimmon (kaki) to keep fruit until mature
« on: May 30, 2021, 11:06:51 AM »
Hi! my persimmon makes lots of flowers, but every year (this year not yet) it drops lots of fruit while they are still unripe during summer. It still produces a good number of ripe fruit during winter. I m not sure what cultivar it is, it is the type that can be eaten only when fully mature, better maturing on the tree. Somebody told me the tree does so because it cannot keep all those fruit. I still don't understand much. If the tree cannot keep the fruit, then why does it make so many fruits to grow almost the size of a ripe fruit and then lets them fall prematurely? And, could the fruit still be preserved (until maturity) by means of adding some fertilizing material, or by means of more pruning? Or by means of what?
Your expertise will be greatly useful on this matter. Thank you!

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: for Persimmon (kaki) to keep fruit until mature
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 01:33:12 AM »
Hi, I dont have any direct experience with this,bu I have two potted persimmons which will flower for the first time in a few weeks and I am expecting to also have all of the flowers and fruit sets to fall off. I have heard this is normal with younger plants ....
However It does seem that this is not the problem with your tree, could it be a drought stress then ??

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 05:38:32 PM »
My tree drops many when it holds too many fruits.
It’s normal.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 07:55:16 AM »
Here's a mature Fuyu tree (30+ yrs old) that I just removed some branches because the weight of the fruits were bending all the lower branches and almost touching the ground. These two trees also had about 200 fruits each that dropped a few months ago because it had to many fruits. The trees thin the fruits by dropping them, just like the avocado tree in the background.

The first 2 photos shows how much the branch and main trunk on one tree are bent permanently since there were too much fruits hanging. This photo shows the tree after I trimmed off many of the branches and removed some fruits. The last 2 photos shows the amount of fruits I had to remove on 8-8-21 from the tree with the bent main branch(foreground) so I hope it recovers and straighten up by next year. I removed over 300-400 fruits from this one tree and it still has 200 plus fruits left on it.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 08:27:03 AM »
My neighbor who's tree I trimmed said she uses the green persimmons that I removed for making some type of dye for her art projects. That's why I had to remove all the fruits shown in the photo from the branches that I cut which I would have just dumped in the trash bin without separating the fruits from the cut branches.

Here's how the tree looked last year with ripe fruits.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 10:41:48 AM »
Hello this year I will get the first 7 fruits with my tree after 2 years ago I got ants and aphids to my flowers and fruits. All fruits got spoiled and branches died back. Then I made ant protection on the trunk and now the flowers/ fruits are O.K.
Don' t you have ant problems ?
Best regard Frank
<br /><br />

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 12:09:17 PM »
The fuyu tree I show in the photos have no ants, don't know why but it is in excellent health. I also have 3 adult size trees in ground and they never get ants either. But I do get some ants on my lime tree, and white sapote trees when they get white flies. Once you get rid of the white flies the ants will go away. I just hose the tree/leaves with water a few times a week if I see them and it helps.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 02:22:47 PM »
Thanks for your informations, yes I also have them on my citrus trees, so i stop them at the trunks with biological resin, which works well.
best regards Frank