Author Topic: Cherimoya in FL anecdote  (Read 739 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Cherimoya in FL anecdote
« on: September 24, 2022, 07:52:26 AM »
Earlier this year I pollinated my el bumpo with Lisa atemoya pollen and got two flowers to set. Last week the fruit fell off prematurely. Pictured is two small el bumpos left and center next to a small geffner. Both el bumpos softened up and the larger one was edible and nice tasting, no grit with a almost bubble gum flavor. The seeds look viable and I’m excited to plant these out and see what comes of these hybrid cherimoya x atemoya seeds.

-joe

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Cherimoya in FL anecdote
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 08:08:02 AM »
Nice work Joe.
I've noticed the same thing on my RH3, it looks like your true cherimoya made it further though.
Looking forward to that cross

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 02:11:28 PM »
Way to go Joe!

Think we are going to see nice developments with creative crossing. Keep up the great work!

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 02:51:02 PM »
Good luck, hopefully you get a winner.

Interesting how when pollinated by Lisa, the El Bumpos look absolutely nothing like the ones in San Diego.

That said, the flavor and texture descriptions are much how I would describe it, it varies year to year, but that's a normal flavor profile for the B.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 11:09:28 PM »
Good luck, hopefully you get a winner.

Interesting how when pollinated by Lisa, the El Bumpos look absolutely nothing like the ones in San Diego.

That said, the flavor and texture descriptions are much how I would describe it, it varies year to year, but that's a normal flavor profile for the B.

Hey Oolie,

I suspect two things are possible 1) tree may be mislabeled as I believe I bought it from either an Etsy or Amazon seller. I have failed too many times try to graft cherimoya scions and so I jumped at the chance to buy grafted ones to incorporate into breeding. I also bought a supposed grafted “honey heart” but that tree died on me. or 2) the fruits didn’t fill out to their final form because it’s cherimoya in FL and struggling. 🤔

-Joe

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 11:54:39 PM »
Joe, that is awesome! I think we could fruit Cherimoya here with the right cultural care. I think they need to be forced to flower now (end of September) so that fruits will develop over the cool winter period. It would need to be done in a part of the state where freezing temps over the winter were not likely because otherwise the tree might defoliate.  I may be just a bit too cold here where I am at. It couldn't hurt to hive it a try.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 01:38:59 AM »
I think there's a lot of factors with fruit shape, but the shape of yours is almost identical to Sabor, which tastes very similar to El Bumpo most years.