Author Topic: Maria Black avocado  (Read 2183 times)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Maria Black avocado
« on: September 16, 2021, 09:42:26 PM »
Has anyone tried this variety? I saw a YouTube video describing it as an early season avocado so I got excited since I haven’t found an amazing early season avocado yet for my yard.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Black avocado
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 11:29:33 PM »
I think Julian Lara at Lara Farms has a very early season variety you might be interested in. (Is it called Ronnie?)  Dupuis is early summer and is supposed to be outstanding.
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 10:37:04 PM »
Hi John, the Ronnie avocado is extreme late season, but I’m excited to try it for sure! Not sure how that is possible since most avocados are blooming at that time. I’ve seen some reviews about Maria Black that it’s amazing but need more info for sure

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 08:41:09 AM »
Hi John, the Ronnie avocado is extreme late season, but I’m excited to try it for sure! Not sure how that is possible since most avocados are blooming at that time. I’ve seen some reviews about Maria Black that it’s amazing but need more info for sure
Extremely late as opposed to extremely early.  Ok, I got it--from the previous year--but that would almost serve the same purpose  So I guess Dupuis is early, but not the earliest.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4bPwasZKk0 
Actually this video says Maria Black ripens now so it isn't early season, but you see he planted Dupuis!  Simmonds is good, but was more like mid-summer (August) for me.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 09:38:47 AM by johnb51 »
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 12:13:36 AM »
This is my only description so far

MARIA BLACK (June-July, dwarf)
Dwarf growth habit producing 1lb fruit with black skin and considered to be better than Hass with a creamy, nutty, buttery flavor. Cold tolerant to zone 9A.

Also the season may be different in Miami vs WPB. I saw his video too which is what got me thinking about avocados again lol

One thing that worries me is that black avocados (except oro negro) have a weird rotten/smoked aftertaste when grown in Miami (maybe due to the limestone bedrock?) so not sure if Maria black would be different?

Veggieman01

• Vero beach 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 10:57:45 AM »
do we know if its a type a or b avo

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 11:23:20 AM »
I tried this avocado around November or December and it was pretty nice. Not better or even comparable to Hass though. That strikes me as hyperbole. Like when the so-called Carla avocados get compared to Hass.

It was more comparable to a better quality Monroe or Choquette. Maybe somewhere between that and Oro Negro.

sumognat

• US, FL, SW Ranches, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 12:54:15 PM »
Haven’t tried one yet, but I bought a 7g a couple of weeks ago.  From the Youtube videos, sounds like it is good tasting, a good producer, and can stay fairly compact.  Mine seems pretty vigorous in its 7g pot, will be planting it soon. The 3g Oro Negro I just planted doesn’t seem quite as vigorous, but it’s just starting to grow back it’s leaves after it flowered.  Planning to add Dupuis and Kampong and be done with avocados.  :D

I’m finding avocados to not be terribly vigorous in my yard, growing on shallow mucky topsoil and limestone rock.  Hard to find a spot in my yard that doesn’t flood during the summer rains.  My Catalina planted from a 3g a few years ago hasn’t grown much, but now has 2-3 baby avocados hanging on.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2023, 01:14:49 PM »
Julian Lara has his own house variety he calls "Improved Pollock"--a Pollock seedling, I guess, that doesn't look like Pollock.  TAF is growing it too now.  It might be better-tasting than Maria Black (and more dwarfish), according to Paul Nison of "Fruitfuil Trees."  I believe it ripens around the same time.  It's also supposed to be more productive than Pollock, hence "Improved."
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 01:44:27 PM by johnb51 »
John

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 06:26:18 AM »
Paul Nison changes his mind about plants as much as the wind changes direction.

Hard to watch.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 09:32:40 AM »
So, I did buy the tree and I did plant it in my yard.  It was a small tree but it produced 2 fruit this past year and the fruit were good.  They were similar to Oro Negro but matured earlier.  Not sure if I would say it's better or worse than Oro Negro, I also have an Oro Negro tree.  It didn't set any fruit recently, probably b/c I let it carry fruit as a tiny tree (didn't want to wait years to try the fruit), but it looks very healthy and is growing well. 

Overall I think it was better than Monroe.  Choquette is good too, so it's hard to say, maybe a little better than Choquette.

sumognat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 10:15:22 AM »

Hard to watch.

;D

Yea, sometimes difficult to discern facts from the hype. But, at least it's entertaining, lol.  I waited on Maria B until I saw more people commenting on the fruit.  Alex's thoughts in Paul's videos helped me decide, for sure.

I'm hesitant to jump on the "Improved Pollock" bandwagon for the same reason, though the mature tree did not look that dwarf to me and had a rather large spreading habit in the video taken at Lara's farm.  I don't have much more space for large trees that don't like wet soil.  I figured, worse case scenario, I can always put in a graft request with Alex.

sumognat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2023, 10:19:45 AM »
So, I did buy the tree and I did plant it in my yard.  It was a small tree but it produced 2 fruit this past year and the fruit were good.  They were similar to Oro Negro but matured earlier.  Not sure if I would say it's better or worse than Oro Negro, I also have an Oro Negro tree.  It didn't set any fruit recently, probably b/c I let it carry fruit as a tiny tree (didn't want to wait years to try the fruit), but it looks very healthy and is growing well. 

Overall I think it was better than Monroe.  Choquette is good too, so it's hard to say, maybe a little better than Choquette.

When I first posted, I didn't realize this was an old post.  ;D

Thanks for adding in your experience, Julie!  Makes me feel better about my Maria B purchase.  I know Oro Negro is a stingy producer, so I wanted to plant another variety that people had good experience with production, but also tasted good and could be kept at a manageable size.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2023, 11:38:39 AM »
I know what you're saying.  I don't take anything he says as "Bible truth."  He wants to be an authority on the subject of fruit trees, but the information he presents is always very subjective (including constant mispronunciations).  His heart is in the right place.  The good news: he features Alex Salazar a lot, a true authority who is a really smart and experienced grower, providing accurate and useful information.
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2023, 12:23:53 PM »
Unfortunately both my Maria B and Oro trees are still immature.  Feel free to bump up this thread in the future so I can do more comparisons on taste, season & production.  I think the fruit was good and definitely worth having.  Yes Oro Negro may not be super productive, but avocado trees get huge and will produce enough for one family, so keep that in mind.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2023, 01:20:06 PM »
I know what you're saying.  I don't take anything he says as "Bible truth."  He wants to be an authority on the subject of fruit trees, but the information he presents is always very subjective (including constant mispronunciations).  His heart is in the right place.  The good news: he features Alex Salazar a lot, a true authority who is a really smart and experienced grower, providing accurate and useful information.

Totally agree with everything here.

I also have Maria Black and still waiting for fruit, its only been in the ground for a year from a 7 gallon. Its growing compact thats for sure.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2023, 01:51:55 PM »
I hope that the members who have planted this variety will post updates in the future where their trees start to produce.
John