Author Topic: Recommendations for Redondo Beach 10b container-friendly plants?  (Read 816 times)

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
Hey all,

So my Mom just moved to Redondo Beach area and has a back yard that is mostly paved (rental, so no digging up the pavement). She's asked for my help setting up a container garden with some tropicals (fruiting particularly, but also ornamental), which I'm going to do.

The thing is, I don't have any experience growing in the LA microclimates, including Redondo. So I figured that I would ask the brain trust for some recommendations as part of my research. Anybody grow in that area? I'm looking particularly at things which might do well in full sun there (the shade is somewhat limited) and that don't have super-specialized requirements (regularly feeding is fine, I'm setting her up with customizable irrigation). She's also relatively close to the beach.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations for Redondo Beach 10b container-friendly plants?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 10:47:07 PM »
Was just doing research for a fam member about the same subject. Would love to know the answers but it appears a potted Pickering mango Would do fine. Maybe we will get some answers.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 12:00:59 AM »
I got a small yard, so can't grow much, but am trying a couple things.  I try to squeeze everything in there, so they end up shading each other.  The marine layer mitigates the sun exposure most days anyways.  I'm not close enough to the water to worry about salt spray.

So far, pineapples, blueberries, strawberries, smaller citrus (lemon, calamondin), sweet potato are working out in half barrels.  Peppers, green onions, other veggies in smaller containers.  Jaboticabas are just starting out but should be fine.

Things I have in-ground, but am going to try to grow in containers instead include pomegranates and passion fruit.

Loquats, guava, most mangos will want big containers.  I have a 45g mango, and I'm not sure what to do when it comes time to root prune or up-pot it.  I have a recently grafted Pickering, so will see how it does in its container.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 01:20:40 AM »
CeeJey, I lived in Culver City, Venice growing up. It is about 2-3 miles from the beach. I fished at Venice pier and Redondo beach jetty every summer.

You can grow most fruit trees there. Citrus, persimmons, apples, loquats, apricots. But if you want to keep them in containers then something small like a Kumquat would do well. Grow Nagami & Meiwa kumquats in pots, you will get plenty of fruits. You can grow mulberries, kiwi, strawberries. For larger citrus fruits (lemons, orange, mandarins) just buy trees on dwarf rootstock (FD) and it will grow in pots and give fruits.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 11:51:53 AM »
Hi Ceejay,  I agree with Kaz, you can grow almost everything depending on container size.  You just have to have good fertility since everything will be in containers and plants will use up the available nutrients quickly. 

In addition to his list, you can grow most stone fruits with regular pruning, especially those that fruit on new or one year old wood.  Figs, eugenias, jaboticabas, blueberries, strawberries at the base of other plants, cattley guava, wax jambu, and other guava species.  Pineapple guavas are really easy, grow quickly and look good all year with really tasty fruit from named cultivars as well as tasty flower petals.

I add edible flowering plants like nasturtiums and violas to the base of containers, as well as chives, arugula, parsley and other herbs. These all make salads more interesting and add beauty to the containers without taking up extra space.  They will also bring in lots of pollinators and beneficial insects when they bloom.  Daylily plants are also bullet proof, and the flowers can be used in any recipe calling for squash blossoms.  The simpler varieties taste better, the highly ruffled ornamental varieties are not as tasty.

I could go on and on, but I would suggest, planting fruits that she really likes and add flowers for beauty, so she'll be motivated to take care of the plants.  Good luck!

Janet
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 12:00:17 PM by JCorte »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 03:54:23 PM »
Loquat and Dragon Fruit are both pretty bullet proof in containers.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

SDPirate

• Chula Vista, Zone 10B Coast/Inland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 04:11:25 PM »
If you are okay with the seeds in the fruit, Guava are super easy in coastal CA.  So long as they get enough water, they really take off during non-winter months.

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 07:35:22 AM »
I live in El Segundo and grow pretty much everything I have in containers. Most things can grow if you use the right grow medium and prune :)

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 02:16:03 PM »
everything is a bonsai if you try hard enough 😂
instagram @trumansacco

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 03:08:52 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions, folks! Sounds like a lot of stuff that I'm already growing in Phoenix but likely with less extreme measures taken during the summer and winter :P Some great suggestions in here from everyone, seriously thanks everybody. Thinking a good mix of guavas, loquat, maybe a mango, some myrtaceae, apricots or apriums maybe, a whole lot of companion plants.

In addition to his list, you can grow most stone fruits with regular pruning, especially those that fruit on new or one year old wood.  Figs, eugenias, jaboticabas, blueberries, strawberries at the base of other plants, cattley guava, wax jambu, and other guava species.  Pineapple guavas are really easy, grow quickly and look good all year with really tasty fruit from named cultivars as well as tasty flower petals.

Question: how do wax jambu and jaboticaba do in terms of direct sunlight around that area, hypothetically? Out here in the desert they're part-shade only in the summer even when they get pretty established; I'm not used to just being able to leave them out but hopefully the marine layer would help? I think she has a bit of afternoon shade.

but I would suggest, planting fruits that she really likes and add flowers for beauty, so she'll be motivated to take care of the plants.

That's kind of the easy part; she loves just about everything fruit-wise, and as long as it flowers she'll probably like the way it looks.

Loquat and Dragon Fruit are both pretty bullet proof in containers.

Man, I wish I could get a loquat to survive in a container here in Phoenix. The air temp hits 110 and the roots turn to charcoal. Hell, I've killed two in the ground, going on three this year. Trying to start them from seed this time, maybe I can get a lucky one that tastes good in a decade and also doesn't mind the heat. I'll probably get one for my Mom just so I can live vicariously when I visit.

Things I have in-ground, but am going to try to grow in containers instead include pomegranates and passion fruit.

Good luck! I've had some success out here with passionfruit in containers although they get dicey in our winters. My Mom might have better luck but I'm worried it would take over if it's too successful and she won't be able to keep it pruned  ;D

I live in El Segundo and grow pretty much everything I have in containers. Most things can grow if you use the right grow medium and prune :)

Really great to get all this feedback that containers are workable in that area.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 03:28:19 PM by CeeJey »