Author Topic: dont understand why julie is not universally loved  (Read 17478 times)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
dont understand why julie is not universally loved
« on: July 17, 2012, 10:26:30 AM »
I have read for several years how some people love Julie and some hate it due to its strong flavor. I have long wanted to try a Julie to see what all the fuss is about. I finally got my hands on 3 Julies. Thanks Kings Harry.
All 3 were virtually black on the outside (athracnose?) and looked like a potato that been left too long in the drawer.
Anyway, when I got back to NY, i ate two of them. I was blown away. Incredible flavor. And for me what really made the mango stand out was that its flesh was unusually dense (in a good way).
I dont understand how there is anyone that does not think this is a knockout mango.
Comments?

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: dont understand why julie is not universally loved
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 11:05:03 AM »
I think it's because Julie is one of Murahilin's fav ...   ;D
Tim

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:09:36 AM »
I think it's because Julie is one of Murahilin's fav ...   ;D

funny!

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 11:19:08 AM »
Sorry for an unrelated question, Gerry, but you since you thought Maha Chanok smells parsnipy, what do you think of Southern Blush's skin?  My wife thinks I'm crazy  ;D  I love SB but its skin gets to me.
Tim

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 11:26:45 AM »
Yep, that denser flesh is what I would call 'creamy'. There is an offspring of the Julie called a Gary which has even denser/creamier flesh. The Gary was used as the natural pollinator for many of the new Zill mango releases. Personally I much prefer a creamy mango over one that's 'watery'. That's why I'm going so berzerk over all the new Zill releases!

I have read for several years how some people love Julie and some hate it due to its strong flavor. I have long wanted to try a Julie to see what all the fuss is about. I finally got my hands on 3 Julies. Thanks Kings Harry.
All 3 were virtually black on the outside (athracnose?) and looked like a potato that been left too long in the drawer.
Anyway, when I got back to NY, i ate two of them. I was blown away. Incredible flavor. And for me what really made the mango stand out was that its flesh was unusually dense (in a good way).
I dont understand how there is anyone that does not think this is a knockout mango.
Comments?
Jeff  :-)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »
SORRY- I FORGOT TO RESPOND TO THIS QUESTION WHICH YOU ORGINALLY POsted in the parsnip thread.
I dont believe I've tasted Southern Blush so I cant answer you.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 11:29:20 AM »
Yep, that denser flesh is what I would call 'creamy'. There is an offspring of the Julie called a Gary which has even denser/creamier flesh. The Gary was used as the natural pollinator for many of the new Zill mango releases. Personally I much prefer a creamy mango over one that's 'watery'. That's why I'm going so berzerk over all the new Zill releases!

Comments?

hmm- Jeff, do you know anyone with any Gary fruit that may be willing to sell and ship me a couple?

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 11:33:18 AM »
Julie is great. While I only have a mature NDM to compare it to (1 Dot and 3 Pickering from tree this year), Julie is one of those mangoes I can't stop eating AND I'll only stop unless I'm really filled. NDM OTOH, after 2 or 3 ripe ones....I've lost my appetite for it (though I must say I now prefer to eat half ripe/faint yellow NDMs that are still firm). I guess varying growth success due to soil conditions and fairly medium production, it scores less, overall, than other good tasting, resistant and productive varieties (aka Pickering). Not to mention tastes, like likes, differ from people to people. I love liver and bitter squash. Other don't. Different folks, different strokes.

ps Incase anyone was wondering, the Dot was rich and sweet. And the Pickering.....EXCELLENT!!! (size,blush,flesh color,taste....A+)
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 12:30:28 PM »
I hear Julie needs a location near the beach with wind

otherwise the fruit is riddled with anthracnose...who knows what else may contribute to a better tasting Julie? 

Some swear its the best!

I wonder how much better the julie mangoes taste when grown near the Caribbean, as opposed to inland FL?

Comments?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 12:54:05 PM »
Jeff, do you actually mean the Juliette (Julie x Gary), instead of Gary?   

Comments?

Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 01:03:19 PM »
Gary's new 'Juliette' is said to taste the way the Julie does when grown in the caribbean.

otherwise the fruit is riddled with anthracnose...who knows what else may contribute to a better tasting Julie? 

Some swear its the best!

I wonder how much better the julie mangoes taste when grown near the Caribbean, as opposed to inland FL?

Comments?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »
I don't know. I was getting mine from Zill's Plants. It's said to be a shy bearer.

Comments?

hmm- Jeff, do you know anyone with any Gary fruit that may be willing to sell and ship me a couple?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 01:12:15 PM »
Sorry for an unrelated question, Gerry, but you since you thought Maha Chanok smells parsnipy, what do you think of Southern Blush's skin?  My wife thinks I'm crazy  ;D  I love SB but its skin gets to me.
I love the small of SB...it is very aromatic and to me, the aroma is as good as the taste of the fruit.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 01:14:40 PM »

Comments?
Gary does not have dense flesh.  It's flesh is much like that of its parent, Carrie (and similar to Pina Colada).  When it goes past peak ripeness, the flesh gets soft and a little mushy like a Carrie.  That and the color of the flesh, especially near the skin, is the ONLY resemblance it has with a Carrie.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 01:18:11 PM »

Comments?

Gerry - I sent you a PM
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 01:23:55 PM »
hmmm. I consider the PC to have a dense/creamy flesh too. Weird. The Gary (is very similar to the julie except for the musky odor that the julie can have).

Comments?
Gary does not have dense flesh.  It's flesh is much like that of its parent, Carrie (and similar to Pina Colada).  When it goes past peak ripeness, the flesh gets soft and a little mushy like a Carrie.  That and the color of the flesh, especially near the skin, is the ONLY resemblance it has with a Carrie.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 01:27:51 PM by Cookie Monster »

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 01:26:25 PM »

A senior agronomist  ( Luis Crouch ) , told me that the trick to healthy mango trees is to plant them where they get plenty of sea breeze.

Makes sense,  in India, the Best mangoes are said to come from coastal areas. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 01:35:28 PM »
hmmm. I consider the PC to have a dense/creamy flesh too. Weird. The Gary (is very similar to the julie except for the musky odor that the julie can have).

Comments?
I don't see Gary have much in the way of similarities compared to Julie except for maybe the general shape of teh fruit.  Gary has a taste very similar to a ripe Pina Colada.  Sweet with a strong troical pina colada flavor.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 02:13:58 PM »
OK. I guess I'm gonna have to try and track down some Gary's again this year. My recollection of the fruit is different than what I'm hearing. I did note the pina colada taste when overripe.

Have you tried the Edgar? Supposed to be a Edward x Gary cross. I got to try a few at Walter's. It was similar to a carrie but without the 'funk' and mixed with a keittish/kentish flavor. I topworked a limb on my Keitt to Edgar :-).

Comments?
I don't see Gary have much in the way of similarities compared to Julie except for maybe the general shape of teh fruit.  Gary has a taste very similar to a ripe Pina Colada.  Sweet with a strong troical pina colada flavor.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »
sorry for stupid question, but is juilette ready for sale?

Me just wants one if its dwarf
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 02:33:33 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 02:28:25 PM »

How does it feel to want  ;) ;D ;D :o :P 8)  (sorry, just had to...)
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 02:32:37 PM »

How does it feel to want  ;) ;D ;D :o :P 8)  (sorry, just had to...)

I feel like Mick Jagger.

If you try sometimes, you might just get what u need.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 02:35:41 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 02:33:47 PM »
I hear not dwarf like julie.

but fruit amazing taste.

they have fruit ready to sample at Zills now.

Eatem up boyz
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »
My Julie got axed from the backyard team because it was not good enough.Flavor,flesh yield and texture were its main problems.I am told it performs better in a dry climate.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »
My Julie got axed from the backyard team because it was not good enough.Flavor,flesh yield and texture were its main problems.I am told it performs better in a dry climate.
I assume you mean less humid.  Now whaty I want to know is the humudity in the Caribbean that much lower than SFla (and Mike T's location Down Under) ?
- Rob