Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 185868 times)

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #975 on: February 09, 2023, 02:49:05 PM »
Its a hass from costco
These seeds have ridge on both sides, any reason? Couldn’t remember seeing in store bought avocados…

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: February 09, 2023, 02:59:48 PM »
Anyone have or tasted Kahaluu avocado? the shape is unique, similar to a Mango than an avocado
Also based on review (myavocadotrees.com/kahaluu-avocado.html) its very interesting...
"Kahalu'u is a mammoth fruit with glowing green skin, silk-smooth butter-colored flesh and a rich, slightly citrusy flavor. Farmer and researcher Ken Love of Captain Cook, who lugged 500 pounds of avocados to O'ahu for a series of chef and public tastings last week, said Kahalu'u has triple the oil content of the average avocado, and the sensuous texture shows that." 

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #977 on: February 09, 2023, 04:17:13 PM »
Its a hass from costco
These seeds have ridge on both sides, any reason? Couldn’t remember seeing in store bought avocados…

Looks like some kind of weird genetic mutation, I've never seen anything like that, but maybe Brad has (he's seen many more seeds than I have!)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 09, 2023, 08:02:16 PM »
Anyone have or tasted Kahaluu avocado? the shape is unique, similar to a Mango than an avocado
Also based on review (myavocadotrees.com/kahaluu-avocado.html) its very interesting...
"Kahalu'u is a mammoth fruit with glowing green skin, silk-smooth butter-colored flesh and a rich, slightly citrusy flavor. Farmer and researcher Ken Love of Captain Cook, who lugged 500 pounds of avocados to O'ahu for a series of chef and public tastings last week, said Kahalu'u has triple the oil content of the average avocado, and the sensuous texture shows that."

I had a tree and chopped it down.  It doesnt grow well here.  Fruit wasnt that great either.  Some of the other hawaii trees are doing better here.  Fujikawa and murashige are doing better. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 09, 2023, 08:04:32 PM »
Its a hass from costco

Looks like some kind of weird genetic mutation, I've never seen anything like that, but maybe Brad has (he's seen many more seeds than I have!)
maybe too much roundup. 

Also, I dont know this for sure but its possible theres hass seedlings growing in mexican groves.  Ive seen messed up seeds like that before on zutanos and maybe some other fruits.  Ive also seen strange mutations on plants that were grown around weeds sprayed with roundup. 
Brad Spaugh

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: February 10, 2023, 11:11:51 AM »

I had a tree and chopped it down.  It doesnt grow well here.  Fruit wasnt that great either.  Some of the other hawaii trees are doing better here.  Fujikawa and murashige are doing better.

Thanks Brad!
Mike

FloridaGrower69

• Propagation of Interesting Pineapple
    • East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: February 11, 2023, 04:47:03 PM »
Within topic - does anyone have experience with ‘oo-la-la’ avo?  Picked one up last week…the grower talked me out of a brogden … said this cultivar is new. Just curious. Thx.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: February 11, 2023, 05:24:53 PM »
Within topic - does anyone have experience with ‘oo-la-la’ avo?  Picked one up last week…the grower talked me out of a brogden … said this cultivar is new. Just curious. Thx.

Aka super hass. Definitely not new.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 11, 2023, 07:28:42 PM »
Also, lots of people have found that Super-Hass does not ripen evenly.  Hopefully that's only a South Florida issue, and you have no problems.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 09:38:18 AM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 21, 2023, 01:16:25 PM »
I tried Fuerte avocados for the first time a few days ago after ordering a box of 8 of them from Winterwarm Farms in Fallbrook. They were really quite good, very creamy and smooth texture and a nutty taste. My wife and I both agreed they might be our favorite avocados to date, or at least tied with some of the best store-bought Hass we've had.

Was this an unusually good batch of Fuertes or something? I've mostly read that they are more middling in eating quality. Some photos:

Here's where I bought them:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1381581856/8-count-fresh-organic-fuerte-avocados
I put in an order for these avocados.  I just had to get some premium avocados from CA.  My wife said, "Why avocados?  Why not order cherimoyas?"  Because they cost three times as much, and we are poor folk!
John

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 21, 2023, 07:01:46 PM »
Yeah John, good old Fuertes many Ca. folks poopa them say hass is best but when you have a good ripe Fuerte there pretty darn good.Hass and Lamb Hass, Carmen Hass can have better flavor but all the Ca. avo farmers know Reed are best. 8)

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: February 21, 2023, 08:10:03 PM »
Yeah John, good old Fuertes many Ca. folks poopa them say hass is best but when you have a good ripe Fuerte there pretty darn good.Hass and Lamb Hass, Carmen Hass can have better flavor but all the Ca. avo farmers know Reed are best. 8)
I used to think Fuertes were best (a HS friend's family had an orchard in Camarillo--1960's), but then my dad planted a Hass tree around 1977/8 in his front yard, no less.  Small fruit, but they were flavor bombs.  I hope to try a CA Reed--maybe later this year if I'm lucky.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 09:27:12 PM by johnb51 »
John

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 22, 2023, 07:28:52 PM »
We are in the middle of a windy cold spell in Southern California, and unfortunately a large branch off of my zotano avocado broke off last night. Here are photos showing the fallen branch and the residual trunk at the site. It had so many buds too! :-(

https://imgur.com/KNVwL2V photo of the remaining broken off portion

https://imgur.com/28bkrCp photo of the fallen large branch, approximately 8 to 10 ft long with lots of offshoots

I'm planning to cut the jagged remaining portion clean, and then try grafting in a bark graft style along it. However, I don't want to do the graft right now as we have at least a week of more windy and cold weather. Do you all think this approach will be okay? Any tips or suggestions?

Ado

• Torrance
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 22, 2023, 11:58:00 PM »
I lost a Reed graft i did in August. Branch looked like it was going to flower this year. So sad.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: March 03, 2023, 12:51:10 PM »
I tried Fuerte avocados for the first time a few days ago after ordering a box of 8 of them from Winterwarm Farms in Fallbrook. They were really quite good, very creamy and smooth texture and a nutty taste. My wife and I both agreed they might be our favorite avocados to date, or at least tied with some of the best store-bought Hass we've had.

Was this an unusually good batch of Fuertes or something? I've mostly read that they are more middling in eating quality. Some photos:

Here's where I bought them:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1381581856/8-count-fresh-organic-fuerte-avocados
I put in an order for these avocados.  I just had to get some premium avocados from CA.  My wife said, "Why avocados?  Why not order cherimoyas?"  Because they cost three times as much, and we are poor folk!
I'm currently eating these avocados.  They definitely have high oil content and are therefore very buttery, but I'm finding that, as far as flavor goes, they seem no better than Florida Lula or Monroe, which surprised me.  The skin is extremely thin and sometimes adheres.  Can't wait to try Brad Spaugh's Premium Avocados, which should be available next month!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 06:09:17 PM by johnb51 »
John

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #990 on: March 03, 2023, 06:48:26 PM »
Ill save you a box John.  Unfortunately I only have enough for a few mix boxes.
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: March 06, 2023, 02:39:21 PM »
Ill save you a box John.  Unfortunately I only have enough for a few mix boxes.
Great. Thanks.
John

eez0

• Canary Islands. 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: March 09, 2023, 04:29:49 PM »
check this picture:

Left is Hass, center Fuerte, and right Reed. All of them were put in the ground around June or July, and have had a noticeable growth. But in the case of the Fuerte, it has become twice as big as the others.

So, I'm curious, does it have a stronger growth compared to Hass and Reed?

Also, it's worth mentioning that the Hass had plenty of flowers, and in fact, I have thinned a lot of fruits, leaving just  3-4. The Reed was the biggest of the three until a couple of months ago.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: March 12, 2023, 10:00:20 AM »
My two very happy avocado trees!  Happy owner, too.  ;D  The first one is a Monroe (winter-ripening), about six feet tall, planted a little over a year ago.  The second one a Simmonds (summer-ripening), almost four feet, planted last summer.  They were both very small 3-gallon trees when planted.  It doesn't make sense to me when I see people at nurseries here in SoFlo, looking for larger trees, thinking that's the way to go.  It's a thrill to watch them grow so fast.  (Cheap thrill!)  I hope to add a fall-ripening avocado in the future.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 01:56:10 PM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: March 12, 2023, 01:58:07 PM »
check this picture:

Left is Hass, center Fuerte, and right Reed. All of them were put in the ground around June or July, and have had a noticeable growth. But in the case of the Fuerte, it has become twice as big as the others.

So, I'm curious, does it have a stronger growth compared to Hass and Reed?

Also, it's worth mentioning that the Hass had plenty of flowers, and in fact, I have thinned a lot of fruits, leaving just  3-4. The Reed was the biggest of the three until a couple of months ago.
They didn't name it Fuerte for nothing!
John

eez0

• Canary Islands. 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: March 12, 2023, 07:29:19 PM »
They didn't name it Fuerte for nothing!

xDD to be honest, I thought about it as well hhahahah

drymifolia

• View Profile
« Reply #996 on: March 12, 2023, 07:49:22 PM »
I came across this post recently, it's a pretty good read if you're interested in the history of Fuerte, and (spoiler alert!) it did indeed get that name because of its vigorous growth:

https://gregalder.com/yardposts/how-the-fuerte-avocado-really-got-its-name/

CenCalArt

• Visalia ca USA 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: March 12, 2023, 11:13:26 PM »
I have a few that my family is growing.

Mexicola
Mexicola grande
Bonnie doon
Lamb hass
D’Arturo
Zutano pics of fruit also

drymifolia

• View Profile
« Reply #998 on: March 13, 2023, 12:39:36 AM »
Bonnie doon

That's one I've thought about adding to my cold-hardy avocado project here in Seattle, since it's alleged to be pretty hardy, but not clear at what temperature it is damaged. Is the fruit any good? What temperatures has it faced for you?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: March 13, 2023, 11:50:11 AM »
I have a few that my family is growing.

Mexicola
Mexicola grande
Bonnie doon
Lamb hass
D’Arturo
Zutano pics of fruit also

Newbe, how do you like the D'Arturo variety how is taste of fruit? Welcome to the form.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk