Author Topic: Glen Navel?  (Read 1220 times)

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Glen Navel?
« on: February 24, 2022, 03:24:28 PM »
I have been caring for this navel orange tree for several years, and I have been unable to Identify it all this time.

The tree is much more vigorous than the Washington it was planted near, it produces many more fruit, but they are smaller by a third, have much thinner, bumpy skin, non-protruding navels, and the fruit ripen several weeks before the Washington, and generally have much lower acid levels than Washington, and they hang until May.

They also get shiny/oily skin early in the season, and what I assumed was caused by leaking nectar, they also get a strong vanilla aroma to the peels. I found out this year I was mistaken, as the trees have yet to bloom, but already the peels smell amazing.

This led me down the rabbit hole, where I found this thread.

Now I'm thinking this must be the correct variety. Does anyone else grow this one? Seem like the right ID?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Glen Navel?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 05:03:14 PM »
Do you have a photo of your fruit?  Are they ripe now?
Says it's a mutation from the Washington navel orange.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 01:19:21 AM »
I have buckets of them. I will go pick a variety from the yard tomorrow for some citrus comparison photos.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 01:42:58 AM »
I like the Lane Late navel orange my tree had a lot of fuits again this season but it's over now. I also have an navel orange that I got from a friend's tree a while ago, it gets a lot of fruits (80) on my grafts. It is very sweet and takes good for eating out of hand.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 05:29:51 PM »

I went for representative fruit here, but the suspected Glen can range from just under Washington sized to the size they are this year which is more Valencia sized, though quality suffers in years where they are larger, they are excellent this year.

The Washingtons are showing more pebbling to the skin, though it's more a result of not being picked on time, while the suspected Glens show this trait early and often.

Any ideas as to the identity of the unknown orange are appreciated as they are always the ones we appreciate, they are lower acid than the Washingtons, and yet not bland.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 06:52:53 PM »
Oolie,

I like your Smith's Red, does it taste good? I have some grafts growing so it should fruit next year.
Your Glen kinda looks like a small Washington Navel orange size. Nop, I don't know of what variety it is.

You should graft a Hamlin orange, I have one grafted and it gave me a fruit this year, it's very sweet, tasted better or as good as my Washington orange. The Hamlin seems to have a thicker rind, but it is seedless and very sweet.

Does your Glen orange have any seeds? Does it takes better than any of the Valencia orange and Smith's Red?
My Washington Orange taste is excellent, very sweet, can't eat a Valencia after you taste the Washington orange.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 09:45:27 AM »
My Glen navels are the exact same size or not very noticeably smaller than my Washington navels, but I have mine in a hot, humid, and rains everyday during the summer climate.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2022, 04:03:19 PM »
Oolie,

I like your Smith's Red, does it taste good? I have some grafts growing so it should fruit next year.
Your Glen kinda looks like a small Washington Navel orange size. Nop, I don't know of what variety it is.

You should graft a Hamlin orange, I have one grafted and it gave me a fruit this year, it's very sweet, tasted better or as good as my Washington orange. The Hamlin seems to have a thicker rind, but it is seedless and very sweet.

Does your Glen orange have any seeds? Does it takes better than any of the Valencia orange and Smith's Red?
My Washington Orange taste is excellent, very sweet, can't eat a Valencia after you taste the Washington orange.

Smith's is good, I hate to say it has berry flavor, but it is different tasting than the regular Valencia, and if I had to compare the difference, it's closer to a blackberry. It's a heavily pigmented orange that seems to have indefinite hang time, so I do enjoy juicing them with regular Valencias in the spring.

The suspected Glen navel does have seeds infrequently like the Washington. When it does contain them there can be 5 or so, but often there are no seeds.

As far as taste, Smiths is reaching peak sugar levels now, and it maintains that for several months. The suspected Glen hit the right sugar-acid balance in November, but it now has lost most of the acidity and will continue gaining sugars through April/May. By then the internal membrane will be mostly shredded.

The regular Valencias hold multiple crops, the one in the photo is still building sugars, should be best in March or so, but right now they are on the sour side.

Thank you CB81. How about the smell of the peels? Any noticeable difference between the two?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2022, 04:23:36 PM »
Good to hear the Smith tastes different than the normal Valencia. I have a large, variegated Valencia whch has nice leaves, neat looking fruits, but taste wise, it never gets very sweet so I wouldn't eat it out of hand. My tree has both the normal size Valencia and budspot branches with the variegated Valencia (fruits are much smaller).

Most of my Washington navel and Lany Late navel fruits are done (picked), so only my Valencia fruits are yellow and probably needs to hang for a few more months to be at peak ripeness. I also like the Rhode Red Valencia taste more than the normal Valencia. I have grafted the original Valencia cuttings from local trees (Pehrson Valencia #3 & #4) which is supposed to yield good fruits since it was from a citrus grove with good fruits that was sold for land/new home development.