Author Topic: Best tasting passion fruits  (Read 658 times)

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
Best tasting passion fruits
« on: February 18, 2023, 02:55:17 PM »
Anybody have any opinions on the best tasting passion fruits to grow? We have yellow/purple lilikoi and Frederick, havnt tried many beyond that

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting passion fruits
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 05:20:36 PM »
They're in Australia with KP.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 09:50:08 PM »
For juice, I like the yellow more because the flavor is stronger. Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about a specific variety name.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 10:22:31 PM »
Joe, you can try growing the large fruit variety like the Passiflora decaisneana or Passiflora_quadrangularis ML (giant granadilla). I got my cuttings from Hoang and he sent me fruits to try of the decaisneana and it was good. This one you can even cut & eat the rind with the insides.

Here's the three photos from Hoang in his earlier post when he was selling the cuttings.
The first photo is the decaisneana, the 2nd and 3rd is the quadrangularis (PQML)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 10:25:49 PM »
My Passiflora decaisneana is very large now in one year, if you need some cuttings I will send it to you. Hoang said you can root the cuttings or graft it. I tried both methods and my grafted ones took and has grown large with lots of flowers now but no fruit set yet. The PQML didn't make it.

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 01:11:02 AM »
Galatians we would love to have some good juicing varieties, I will try to find more yellows. Kaz I need to try both of those, especially decaisneana. I had a quadrangularis that I never got growing well, mostly due to neglect. Need to retry. The others I have, once established have done well here. Looking to try more types and figure out what we like most. Also going to trial some seeds plantings. Id love to get some cuttings from you, forgot to ask you earlier. Or can buy from Hoang. Those are some good looking fruits!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 01:23:10 AM by SaltwaterTx »

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 01:16:11 AM »
They're in Australia with KP.

Oolie not familiar with this, could you elaborate?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 02:20:34 AM »
Joe, I will include some cuttings of the Passiflora decaisneana when I ship the persimmon cuttings.