Author Topic: Rollinia bloomed for the first time  (Read 479 times)

jorge_cima

• Zone 10B, South Florida
    • View Profile
Rollinia bloomed for the first time
« on: March 17, 2023, 05:39:49 PM »
My Rollinia just bloomed a few flowers for the first time this year. It was brought from Hawaii in a 3 gallon container about 6 years ago and it is planted next to my neighbor's rollinia, a tree that has been blooming for several years with almost no production. He may have collected 2 or 3 fruits in the past 5 years since his tree grew to blooming age.
Given the proximity of the two trees (about 8 feet  and a wire fence separating them), is there a possibility these two trees will help each other produce fruit or is that wishful thinking?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Rollinia bloomed for the first time
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 08:22:02 PM »
I am interested if these are self fruitful or need pollination.  Mine also bloomed for first time last year, but only a few blooms and no fruit set. 

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 08:35:56 PM »
Mine is first time blooming  too! It's on a third year from seed. I am hoping.
Ana

jorge_cima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 12:53:45 AM »
I dont have a lot of hope, honestly. Am just giving it some time and see what happens.  I actually tried one of the very few fruits produced by my neighbor and, frankly, was not impressed. It was sort of bland. The texture was good, sort of jelly smooth. The flavor I was not too impressed with.  I am hopeful that mine will be better, it was brought in from Hawaii, so it may be a different cultivar or what not. Will see.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 01:19:43 AM »
I planted mine in ground in my greenhouse to give it a try, fully expecting to cut it down if it isn't amazing.  I hear mixed things about it.  I've got other annonas, I will probably only keep one or two in the end.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 06:00:45 AM »
Does anyone on here know if it helps the biribá to bloom and set (and hold) fruit if it's fertilized occasionally?

I'm wondering if a citrus fertilizer formulation with minors would be the best thing to use. How much?  How often?  Any other fertilizer?

My biribá has a large enough diameter main stem that by now it should be able to bloom and hold a fruit or two.

Just curious ....

Paul M.
==

jorge_cima

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 09:48:15 AM »
Does anyone on here know if it helps the biribá to bloom and set (and hold) fruit if it's fertilized occasionally?

I'm wondering if a citrus fertilizer formulation with minors would be the best thing to use. How much?  How often?  Any other fertilizer?

My biribá has a large enough diameter main stem that by now it should be able to bloom and hold a fruit or two.

Just curious ....

Paul M.
==

Paul, a few months ago I contacted Har Madeem and asked him about it. He mentioned that anonas need micronutrients n order to set fruit.