Author Topic: WTB DMOR9 Mulberry cuttings/grafted tree  (Read 658 times)

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
WTB DMOR9 Mulberry cuttings/grafted tree
« on: May 16, 2023, 05:21:21 PM »
Looking to get DMOR9 cuttings or a small pre-grafted tree.

Want to try to graft them on my World's Best before it gets too hot, or just get one that's already grafted and save me the trouble.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: WTB DMOR9 Mulberry cuttings/grafted tree
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 05:41:33 PM »
I have a grafted tree I purchase last November, its doing well. I will sell it to you for what I pay, $150 plus shipping cost.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 02:12:46 PM by sc4001992 »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 06:40:35 PM »
My tree is already flushed out or I would take a cutting.  I did try them and thry are similar to my other himalayan but I think the other ones taste better so far.  Theres 2 himalayan trees out there, I am growing both of them. 
Brad Spaugh

Fygee

• Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 09:22:34 PM »
Nice. Which other two of the Himalayans are better that you have?
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 10:05:08 PM »
I have 2 himalayan and they are the dmor9 and a different one from exotica nursery.  They taste the same but the exotica one seems sweeter but the tree is mofe mature so its hard to pass judgement yet.  The DMOR one is insanely vigorous.  The tree is going to be enormous.  The other one is still vigorous but not like that. 
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 10:27:30 PM »
Brad, my trees of the Exotica Red Himalayan is humongous. Already taller than my Black Pakistan trees (in ground for 8 yrs). I think my grafted Himalayan branches are about 20 ft tall, fattest branch is about 4-5" diameter.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 01:16:52 PM by sc4001992 »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 11:02:26 PM »
Mine grew a lot also but maybe the roostock is not as vigorous.  Whatever rootstock the DMOR is on, plus that top working combo is insanely vigorous.  Janet would know what type of root stock was used for the DMOR tree.  The thing is growing like one of those non fruiting mulberry trees.  Its going to be a monster.  Im pretty sure it is even more vigorous than the exotica one. Which is fine, I have it planted out by itself with tons of space right south of a chicken coop.  I hope it shades the whole thing in a few years. 

I take big scoops of chicken turds and put it right at the base of the tree on the mulch and water it in every now and then. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 11:04:20 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 11:08:15 PM »
By the way, what roostock is the black pakistan tree on Kaz?  That tree refuses to grow.  The white pakistan is going fairly strong.
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 11:36:26 PM »
If it's the black pakistan, it was probably a rooted cutting. If there is a graft union, then possibly the Shangri La is the rootstock.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 11:38:04 PM »
I think you grafted it but Im not sure.  Cant remember. 
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 02:46:50 AM »
Ok, if it was grafted then at that time I used the rooted Shangri La on most of the grafts I did.

Fygee

• Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2023, 11:57:27 AM »
I'm assuming that with WBM as rootstock it wouldn't become a massive tree. Ultimately my goal is to have a WBM with multiple grafts of different varieties that I can keep trimmed to a large bush.

I'm eager to give Red Himalayan another go. Unfortunately the grafts didn't take last time. Next time around, I'm distributing cuttings to other well known mulberry growers here in Vegas so they can graft them onto their trees. Added "insurance" in case mine have issues again and theirs succeed, with the big bonus of starting to get this variety established within the community.

I'll have to think about that DMOR one sc4001992. Do you know what rootstock it's grafted to? If it's one that will make for a huge tree, I may have a plan for it. My grandmother has a huge yard and a random male mulberry that needs to become firewood as the roots are destroying her lawn, and males are technically illegal here due to pollen regulations . Putting a nice fruiting mulberry in it's place would be ideal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk