Author Topic: Minimum distance when planting a very vigorous variety Cac from Valencia pride  (Read 759 times)

tractorparts

• Bay lake
    • View Profile
Is there a rule of thumb when planting very vigorous variety. Pretty sure 20 feet is not enough

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
I have a Cac and it's not growing fast yet?
I would try to plant those two trees on opposite ends of the property.
I have seen some really big VP and would consider planting a different tree?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Is there a rule of thumb when planting very vigorous variety. Pretty sure 20 feet is not enough

It really depends on how much you want to prune since most mango trees will turn into big trees if left alone.
With yearly pruning, i think 20ft is feasible with those varieties.
VP is in a class of its own in terms of vigor though.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
VP is called upright grower and vigorous. It makes very nice looking elongated fruits that customers will buy. Plant it where you can let it grow as much as you like and into a shade tree.
Cac is not like this. It is moderate with a bushy enough tendency.

There is a VP a mile from me. It sure looks like VP, but the owner could not verify, since the tree came with the property when he bought it. For all I know, maybe it was planted from seed, a VP seed perhaps? I was amazed how good looking the fruits were. He gave me a few, so thanks to him! This would be a very good tree to get scion wood from.  (zzlogic___at____gmail) The fruit skin was so shiny and colorful, that I rate it 50/50 that this tree is not a VP clone such as Zill will graft.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk