Author Topic: Mango Slim Hedges, high-density planting video  (Read 760 times)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Mango Slim Hedges, high-density planting video
« on: April 10, 2022, 10:45:23 AM »
Not sure this video hasn't already been posted here before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNozLuofoJ4

I approached my neighbor about doing a mango hedge between out properties, splitting the fruit between us; didn't go horribly, so I've been researching a plan. I'm going with 10' spacing, now I just need to come up with the variety/varieties. The area is along the drainage swales, it can get pretty wet during our rainy months (July-ish), I'm thinking early-season varieties would be the best choice.

Anybody doing something similar with a hedge? I wonder how mixing in an avocado tree or two would work.

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Slim Hedges, high-density planting video
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 12:25:21 PM »
Thank you, that's a nice video. I learned a lot. Australia has been a leader in high density systems for many tree fruits.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 05:46:50 AM »
Not sure this video hasn't already been posted here before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNozLuofoJ4

I approached my neighbor about doing a mango hedge between out properties, splitting the fruit between us; didn't go horribly, so I've been researching a plan. I'm going with 10' spacing, now I just need to come up with the variety/varieties. The area is along the drainage swales, it can get pretty wet during our rainy months (July-ish), I'm thinking early-season varieties would be the best choice.

Anybody doing something similar with a hedge? I wonder how mixing in an avocado tree or two would work.

Im sure as this progresses we will see much more of this hedge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq-c9F-34As&ab_channel=FruitfulTrees

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 09:24:24 AM »
Indeed. Ironic timing, I stumbled upon the Queensland Agriculture YT channel about the same time Fruitful Trees published the video. I believe that's TFF member Weiss' property in the video. I wonder what BSbullie would have to say (if he still contributed). I believe he was critical of this high-density plan.

That Queensland Ag YT channel has a bunch of good videos on various topics. There's another mango production technique they detail using trellises/scaffolding that looks ultra-productive, but not as visually appealing as the slim hedge.

I have five year-old seedlings in containers I'm about to plant on a North/South row with something in the range of 9-12' spacing. I'm putting them in the ground asap, hopefully they'll establish and I can graft to them late summer this year. I need to find 5 varieties with similar (preferably low/medium) vigor and growth habit, I don't want to have one lanky/leggy variety next to a stubby, short-internode one; I don't think that'll make for a very attractive hedge. Choosing the varieties is going to take awhile.  Paralysis of over-analysis, that's how I like to roll....

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 06:33:15 PM »
Be aware the slim hedges use plant growth regulators (PGR's) which are hormones to artificially dwarf the trees. Paclobutrazol is typical, but not registered for use in the USA. You can get it for ornamental foliage plants. I believe they also use nitrate or something else to stimulate flowering. Personally, I doubt they will last more than 10 years before the production declines due to excessive pruning and trees becoming too dense. Once they get too unproductive you can remove every other tree and move on.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 10:50:02 AM »
Be aware the slim hedges use plant growth regulators (PGR's) which are hormones to artificially dwarf the trees. Paclobutrazol is typical, but not registered for use in the USA. You can get it for ornamental foliage plants. I believe they also use nitrate or something else to stimulate flowering. Personally, I doubt they will last more than 10 years before the production declines due to excessive pruning and trees becoming too dense. Once they get too unproductive you can remove every other tree and move on.
Yes, I did catch that in the video. I'm not looking to follow their methods precisely (definitely not using PGRs). I'm thinking I'll pick low vigor varieties with 12' spacing between and train them the best I can. I don't mind going wider or taller than they do in the video, either. I like the idea of "slim" but it's the "hedge" that I'm going for.