Author Topic: from grafting to flowering  (Read 331 times)

quinoah

• europe
    • View Profile
from grafting to flowering
« on: December 09, 2023, 06:10:50 AM »
hello!

I wonder why does it take so long for hardy citrus to flower after grafting. other citrus start flowering much faster, at least in my experience.
If the scionwood is from a hybrid/seedling which hasn't flowered it would make sense, but thats not the case.
my 2m yuzu had no flowers till now(I grafted it myself).

I am the only one with this "problem"?

thanks!

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Re: from grafting to flowering
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 06:39:06 AM »
 One consideration is the position of the tree from which the scionwood was taken. Low positions will be more inclined to exhibit juvenile characteristics. This is especially true for cuttings and scionwood taken from seedling trees, but applies to a lesser degree to cloned trees. Partial reversion to juvenile phase is seen in suckers and water sprouts.

quinoah

• europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 06:52:36 AM »
yes, I had the theory of juvenile wood also in mind, I  actually dont know from which part of the tree my scions were taken.
once the bloomed and got propagated from old flowering wood, this shouldn't be a problem anymore. even when scions are taken from a low part.

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 12:00:37 PM »
In my experience, grafts of Poncirus and Poncirus hybrids usually flower after three years when the tree is at least 1,5m high. That seems to have something to do with the natural position of flower buds on short side shorts: In the first year the graft produces a long unbranched twig. In the second year it gets short side branches on which flowers appear in the third year.

Poncirus seedlings flower at about 2m high (from bottom to the tip of the highest twig).

Two grafted Citrumelos the budwood of which was most probably from mature trees flowered at about 1,7m-2m height. So there seem to be a mimimum height below which flowering is not likely.

I have forgotten what my Yuzu tree did. But I think it was not very slower. I have at least a "tree" only 1 m hight that does flower.

Two Kucle x Poncirus crosses bloomed at about 1m.

Growing conditions may also play a role. Drought stress or root problems may induce earlier flowering. That could have played a role in my glashouse in hot summers. Maybe your Yuzu tree is just too happy to flower :-).

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 12:06:21 PM »
I have never observed that the height of a twig has something to do with production of flowers. To the contrary: Weakly growing lower twigs are the first to flower according to my experience.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk