Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Planting seeds of Citrus Bergamia

<< < (2/3) > >>

pagnr:
The Bergamias I have seen are pretty close to an Earl Grey Tea Bag in scent.

JSea:
What's interesting is that apparently one of the parents of bergamot is a limetta.

What I don't know, is whether it was an acidless limetta or not - maybe someone knows that.

If it was an acidless limetta, and your bergamot seeds were self-pollinated, I think that means there's a 1/4 chance that the seedling will be acidless as well. It would've been possible to tell this before you germinated the seed - just look for the chalazal spot being tan (no clue how to do that though haha, good luck actually doing it).
The other clues are whether it can make any red pigment (new growth reddish, as some lemons/citrons have) - if it can, it's more likely an acid Citrus.

alexmed95:
Small update:

I've searched the web for an answer (in many languages). It Turns out that some sources in Italian and French suggest that if you plant a Bergamot seed, a Sour/Bitter Orange tree will grow. One website also added that while the fruits would be Sour Orange, the leaves would have the scent of Bergamot's.

I don't know how true it is, but I do feel like Italians might have an extensive history of growing Bergamot (seeds).

TBF!

alexmed95:
Another update:

I received a small bergamot tree from a nursery about a month ago. Crushed some of its leaves, and the smell is not the same as
my seedlings. Bergamot is very peppery, while the seedling gives somewhat of a "fruit loop" or kids' grapes-flavoured vitamin scent. Maybe it's
the smell of common Sour Orange leaves?

Probably only time will tell.

Best,
Alex

bussone:

--- Quote from: alexmed95 on November 22, 2023, 02:20:22 PM ---Another update:

I received a small bergamot tree from a nursery about a month ago. Crushed some of its leaves, and the smell is not the same as
my seedlings. Bergamot is very peppery, while the seedling gives somewhat of a "fruit loop" or kids' grapes-flavoured vitamin scent. Maybe it's
the smell of common Sour Orange leaves?

Probably only time will tell.

--- End quote ---

Artificial grape smell is Methyl anthranilate. Annoyingly, that is a chemical expressed by bergamot, but also by mandarins (reticulata) and sour oranges (aurantium). So it's not specific evidence either way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version