Author Topic: Can anyone identify this fruit? Herrania species?  (Read 899 times)

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Can anyone identify this fruit? Herrania species?
« on: March 23, 2020, 08:50:16 AM »
So I was searching for some Weird Fruit Explorer video on YouTube, and came across an older video I previously saw that started my love of herrania varieties as a theobroma relative. I saw it again, but looking at the “herrania” pod he shows, it doesn’t look like any other herrania species I know. While herranias are green with ridges or yellow with rounded ridges, this one is small, red, and relatively smooth. Like a tiny cacao pod. Does anyone know what this is?

Video is “rare fruit at tenom park part 2” (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mYC4s2SdgRc&t=194s)

Thanks,
Tomek

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Can anyone identify this fruit? Herrania species?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 01:59:38 PM »
I don’t find that video to be very knowledgable.  My feeling is that neither of the fruits that are described as Herrania are such.
Peter

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 02:06:08 PM »
I think so too. It doesn’t look like a herrania. But, it’s a pretty cool looking fruit, so I still want to know what it is.

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 03:57:38 PM »
So, this fruit also appeared in a recent video by All the Fruit, in a tour of the agricultural section of the sabah park in tenom. Right next to the cacao trees, has similar leaves. Video is https://youtu.be/hmpYXRb6Ipo, the fruit appears at about 5:20. He just said it was a relative of cacao, didn’t say if herrania or theobroma, or any species name.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk