Author Topic: FINAL WEEK: Red Pentagona Cacao, Catongo cacao, Herrania Albiflora, much more  (Read 3543 times)

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Final week of selling! Leaving on Monday, get your orders in quickly if you’re interested!

I recently got an exciting order of Theobroma and Herrania seeds from Costa Rica. Most of these varieties I don’t think have ever been grown in the US. I have a huge amount of plants, but I am leaving for college in Poland in the beginning of September and will not be able to send plants after that.

To Order:
Send me a PM (and reply to this thread so I know you sent a PM in case it doesn’t get to me), or send me an email to Tomasz.kleczek@icloud.com. Don’t use the forum email option, as that doesn’t work at this moment. Please include the plant varieties you want, the amount of each, and your address. I will respond and let you know if I have those still available, and send them on Friday or Saturday.

Pricing:
The price will depend on the number of plants ordered.
9 plants or more: $10 a plant
4-8 plants: $15 a plant
1-3 plants: $25 a plant

Special offer: 20 assorted plants (I choose how many of each variety,, will give a good variety of remaining stock) $9 a plant.

40 assorted plants $8 a plant

80 assorted plants $7 a plant

The prices per plant does not include shipping. Shipping will be with USPS Priority mail by default, but I could use other carriers if requested. Buyer pays shipping, including $3 for the shipping supplies (I ran out of my supply of free boxes).

The price of shipping will largely depend on how far away from me you live-for a 9-plant order, I estimate the shipping to cost about $23 total (with shipping supplies) to Florida, to about $35 total for orders shipped to California, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. I will charge shipping based on the actual shipping cost at the time of shipment-it might be a bit less, as the above estimates use a 1 pound per plant weight, while in practice I find the weight is a bit less than 1 pound per plant.

Varieties:

Listed below are all the varieties of Cacao, other Theobroma species, and Herrania species I received. Further below is some more detailed information about each variety, but you can find even more info on the ICGD cacao database online-search for specific clones.

Theobroma Cacao:
Porcelana-3 out of stock
Pentagona-2
Nacional-1(A6)
Matina 1-6 out of stock
Catongo
CATIE R1
CATIE R4
CATIE R6
IMC-67
PA-121

Other Theobroma Species:
T. Simiarum (waited months for the pods to ripen-they are very rare. Seems similar to cupuacu (T. Grandiflorum) in pods and seeds, maybe a bit smaller-kind of like Subincanum and a few other Theobroma species) out of stock

T. Bicolor (Mocambo)

Herrania Species:
H. Albiflora out of stock
H. Nycterodendron out of stock
H. Nitida out of stock
H. Umbratica (lots sprouting)

More info about cacao varieties:

CATIE developed high-quality hybrids-probably would be considered good Trinitarios:
* CATIE R1
* CATIE R4
* CATIE R6

Peruvian varieties, collected and described by F.J. Pound in 1938
* IMC-67
* PA-121 (maranon population)

Other Heirloom varieties:
* Porcelana-3 (This Porcelana does not have smooth green-yellow pods with pure white seeds, but a cundeamor/angoleta shape with both light purple/pink and white seeds. It was however collected south of Lake Maracaibo in Venezuela like the “real” Porcelana. I don’t know if its related to the “real” Porcelana, but I know its called Porcelana, has white seeds, and comes from Venezuela, so its something interesting nonetheless. Here is a link to the ICGD page about this variety: http://www.icgd.reading.ac.uk/all_data.php?nacode=7576. More info about all these varieties can be found on ICGD.

* Pentagona-2 (a red-colored Pentagona, and the single reason I got these seeds in the first place)

* Nacional-1(A6) (not the same Nacional as what I offered before, this is most likely an old Nacional-Trinitario hybrid from the early 1900’s. Don’t know if it’s more pure “Nacional” than what I had before, but still something interesting and different)

* Matina 1-6 (the Nacional of Costa Rica-a high-quality heirloom cultivar of Amelonado-type cacao from Costa Rica)

* Catongo (White seeds-not a “Criollo” heirloom, but a genetic mutation of a common Amelonado type. Produces cacao of typical white-seeded varieties-a more mellow and refined flavor)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 12:06:46 PM by TomekK »

TomekK

• View Profile
Here are some photos of the plants today.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Great and dedicated work to the genus as always Tomekk- I will place an order once I have straightened things out with potting up seedlings over here

TomekK

• View Profile
Great and dedicated work to the genus as always Tomekk- I will place an order once I have straightened things out with potting up seedlings over here
Thank you!

TomekK

• View Profile
Also, here is a photo of the 2 extremes of the colors of the Porcelana seeds.

Catongo has pure white seeds, and the rest of the cacao varieties have purple or pink seeds.

TomekK

• View Profile
Plants growing well. Sold out of Theobroma Simiarum. Far too many CATIE hybrids and Peruvian varieties available, as well as lots of Pentagona and some Porcelana left.

Have another 200 plants I need to sell, if anyone knows a nursery which would take lots of plants let me know!

TomekK

• View Profile
Plants growing super fast, especially IMC-67

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile

TomekK

• View Profile
The CATIE and Peruvian varieties are starting to mature their first leaves! Pentagona, Catongo, and Nacional are close behind, with Porcelana as usual lagging a bit-but still most Porcelana are sprouting.

Today I saw that a Herrania Nitida seed is germinating, good sign that most will germinate. Hopefully they grow big enough on time for me to ship them before I leave.

Herrania Albiflora and Umbratica are busy sprouting first leaves.

Still have over 150 plants available sell after counting all the preorders, and more when I plant some last herranias! I don’t have room for them, so please let me know if you’re interested!

Tomek

ronke47

• Santa Monica, CA
    • View Profile
I am currently fostering two cacao seedlings of unknown variety (gift of Eric Durtschi to my CRFG chapter), but given that I am in Southern California, the lack of humidity really beats these guys up if I take them out of my makeshift greenhouse. I would be delighted to buy some of your seedlings but do you have any recs for growing them up in the land of Santa Anas?

TomekK

• View Profile
I am currently fostering two cacao seedlings of unknown variety (gift of Eric Durtschi to my CRFG chapter), but given that I am in Southern California, the lack of humidity really beats these guys up if I take them out of my makeshift greenhouse. I would be delighted to buy some of your seedlings but do you have any recs for growing them up in the land of Santa Anas?

Hi, growing in California is tough for cacao because of the humidity, but if you can keep humidity high in a greenhouse they should do well. Temperatures can’t get below 45 degrees preferably, though they might take a dip into lower 40s once in a while (but don’t quote me on that-the fact that mine survived low 40s once or twice before I took them back indoors doesn’t mean yours will).

Your cacaos look nice, the new leaves on the one one the right really look good. If your greenhouse can keep high humidity (I’d say over 70-80 percent, but I know many people successfully grow cacaos with 50-60 percent indoors. My indoor humidity during the winter is around 30 percent, so not good).

I think we have a similar situation regarding humidity, especially during the winter. But if you want to keep them outdoors, you’ll have to protect them from the cold. I keep mine indoors during the winter in a grow tent. Now I’m building a better one (with an intake fan!) to add some air circulation, as the previous one really doesn’t have any.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Tomek

TomekK

• View Profile
All cacaos doing really well, will be ready to ship in a week or two. Herranias still small, Albiflora and Umbratica are beginning to mature their first leaves.

Lots of the Peruvian varieties and CATIE varieties left, some Pentagona, Porcelana, Catongo, and Nacional also still available. Lots of Herrania Umbratica left. One last T. Bicolor remaining.

TomekK

• View Profile
Photos taken today:

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
Looking good! You sure got a lot of seedlings!
The best time to plant a fruit tree was 20 years ago. The next best time to plant one is now.
Follow me on Instagram: newjunglehawaii

TomekK

• View Profile
Looking good! You sure got a lot of seedlings!

Thank you! Far too many for my 4x5 grow tent…

TomekK

• View Profile
Porcelana out of stock

ronke47

• Santa Monica, CA
    • View Profile
Just sent you a PM vis a vis order

svennagel97

• Germany, NRW, 8a
    • View Profile
Send you an e-mail. Regards,
Sven

TomekK

• View Profile
Just sent you a PM vis a vis order
Replied!

TomekK

• View Profile
Send you an e-mail. Regards,
Sven
Hello, sorry, didn’t get your email. Did you send it through the forum email system, or directly to my email, Tomasz.kleczek@icloud.com?

Thanks,
Tomek

svennagel97

• Germany, NRW, 8a
    • View Profile
Wrote you here through the forum message system again. I think I made a mistake with your email address, since I couldn't find my written email either.
Regards,
Sven

TomekK

• View Profile
Wrote you here through the forum message system again. I think I made a mistake with your email address, since I couldn't find my written email either.
Regards,
Sven
Okay, got it now!

TomekK

• View Profile
Sent messages/emails to everyone who preordered the plants to confirm orders. Let me know in this thread if you didn’t get my message/email!

Tomek

TomekK

• View Profile
Shipped a couple orders over the weekend/Monday, the rest will probably be sent on September 3-4, to give the herranias as much time to mature.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Healthy plants arrived today:

Great job of securing the plants. Maybe a little too good, lol!

Much appreciation Tomek for the interesting cacaos to add to our collection!

They (Porcelana, Pentagona, and R-1) will be in the shade with Nacional, a couple of other cacaos, cupuacu, and mocambo. Perfect hidden spot for a theobroma garden, not much else to grow fruit wise there that I can think of.