Author Topic: Lakatan banana  (Read 1310 times)

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
Lakatan banana
« on: January 09, 2023, 02:11:47 AM »
Tried this today in the Philippines. Very good. Small-ish, slightly orange. Sweet, with a bit of tart flavor, and maybe a little bit of a grassy undertone (pleasantly so).

The people I'm with said it's their favorite and they can't find it back in the States.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Lakatan banana
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 08:37:05 AM »
Get some corms whole in the Philippines looks like a good variety.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 01:53:08 PM »
Fruitscapes has been selling alot these in 3gal the last few years.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 02:12:52 PM »
Agristarts propagates these from tissue culture

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 05:29:33 PM »
Eco farms nrth ft myers had them a few months ago and I scooped 1 up.

Taylorhill

• SouthEast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 09:02:07 PM »
Be careful most all Lacatan and Lakatan here in the US is a tall cavendish variety. Another mixed up name! Actually 1 name for 2 different varieties.

Agristarts TCs the cavendish. I have verified it. I imported 2 varieties of the real Lakatan from Thailand and Cambodia several years back. They both tasted amazing! The Texas deep freeze wiped out all but 1 pup. Lost the the tall Lakatan variety. The real Asian Lakatan has orange pulp like the pictures. The cavendish doesn’t. The real Lakatan bunch looks a lot like a GM bunch. Huge bend outward and slight bend sideways. Mine made truly impressive bunches! Especially for my area. If you’re interested in pictures etc just shoot me a message.

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 08:34:47 PM »
I have a true Lakatan about 7' tall with some pups in San Diego county. Hasn't fruited but looking forward to it!

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2023, 02:21:46 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies, sorry for no response. Gonna be growing this variety now! Apparently there's two cultivars known as 'lakatan' one of which is a cavendish variant, as the replies referenced. The Filipino variety is actually a group of at least three cultivars, apparently more or less indistinguishable in terms of fruit characteristics. The Filipino variants are each from a different region; I wonder if it's the same clone and the variation is due to growing conditions / soil composition. Fingers crossed I ordered the correct one, the description matched the Filipino varieties. Mother in law hasn't had this banana variety since she moved here from the Philippines, excited to have her try some.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 02:25:07 PM by greg_D »

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2023, 07:04:55 PM »
Where can we get this here?

Im looking for this variety as well as philippine saba.

GIV

• San Diego (10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2023, 11:14:05 PM »
I purchased a  6 ft tall pup from Encanto Farms in San Diego this summer.

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2023, 11:24:23 PM »
Got mine via mail order from "sow exotic"

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2023, 07:30:16 PM »

How big was it?

Has anyone who ordered from sow nursery fruited saba?

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2023, 09:38:23 PM »

How big was it?

Has anyone who ordered from sow nursery fruited saba?

Still on its way, expecting it to be very small. Based on their website it seems like they essentially sell plugs.

Jordan321

• Melbourne, Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2023, 10:22:22 PM »
I got a lakatan from them a while back in a mixed banana bundle. They were all really small. Like 6 or 7 inches tall. I probably planted them a little to close to each other in a banana circle. The grand nain took off. It's got a bunch ripening right now. The dwarf namwah took off. It's got a bunch ripening. (And the biggest trunk ever on a banana stalk, like 14"+ at the base. It's fantastic)... The lakatan has grown to about 24" and skinny at that. I'm sure it needs more sun. Maybe I'll move it someday... at least it will be easy to carry when I do.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2023, 03:28:13 PM »
I got a lakatan from them a while back in a mixed banana bundle. They were all really small. Like 6 or 7 inches tall. I probably planted them a little to close to each other in a banana circle. The grand nain took off. It's got a bunch ripening right now. The dwarf namwah took off. It's got a bunch ripening. (And the biggest trunk ever on a banana stalk, like 14"+ at the base. It's fantastic)... The lakatan has grown to about 24" and skinny at that. I'm sure it needs more sun. Maybe I'll move it someday... at least it will be easy to carry when I do.

pls take photos of the lacatan.

By any chance, are you growing saba variety or any nurseries that have it there?

Jordan321

• Melbourne, Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2023, 04:26:21 PM »
So this is embarrassing. I figured I'd double check my grow chart before taking a picture, and discovered I was totally wrong about that tiny variety. It is not lakatan, it's a kokopo. I looked into getting lakatan at the same time and must have conflated the two. 😅. My bad.
Here's some pictures anyway to atleast prove I was honest about the size difference between the namwah and the little guy.

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2023, 07:23:12 PM »
Here's the one from Sow Exotic. Very small as expected and advertised. Seemed healthy enough although in the picture you can see it's kind of growing at a funny angle. Was packaged very well. Expecting to have to wait two or three years for fruit given that bananas sort of go into stasis during the cold months in my climate (10b) with yearly fruit thereafter due to pups. The listing very clearly differentiated it as the Filipino lakatan so hopefully it's not the cavendish variant with the same name.

Website description:

Discover the Philippines' best-tasting banana, the Lacatan! This fast-growing banana variety brings the tropics to your home or garden, boasting glossy green leaves and golden-fleshed fruit with a sweet, aromatic burst. Take the risk and taste an adventure - the Lacatan Banana is sure to be an unforgettable experience!

The Lacatan (or Lakatan) is native to the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand. It is most similar to Grand Nain and Double Mahoi but fruits faster than both.

The Lacatan Banana offers delicious flavor and a unique texture. Enjoy its sweet and aromatic nature, or use the glossy jungle-green leaves to wrap food.  This variety offers larger fruit than the Cavendish, with a deeper, more golden flesh. Lacatan Bananas are renowned for their taste and are very popular among local growers. They grow up to 5-9 feet tall and thrive in warm climates, making them perfect for container gardens.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 07:31:46 PM by greg_D »

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2023, 09:36:30 PM »

I got 2 lacatans. They are fairly small. I also got the sugarloaf pineapples.

Probably 2-3 yrs these bananas will produce. I live in the valley so It will be little harsh compare to your area.