Author Topic: Which of these very late season mango trees would you recommend  (Read 2373 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Wise
Keitt
Beverly
Neelam/Neelam
Paramount criteria flavor aroma taste
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Which of these very late season mango trees would you recommend
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 09:46:42 AM »
I'd vote for Neelam.  And this forum will not allow you to spell it with the letter u.  Nee-lum.  Wait.  I did it!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 07:23:48 PM by johnb51 »
John

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 12:57:55 PM »
  I have only had Keitt and Beverly but by far the winner would be the Beverly, Both are reported to have issues with MBBS but I have not had any issue so far. Both are older cultivators but are still talked about for a good reason.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 05:49:50 PM »
Neelսm with u

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 07:26:18 PM »
Neelսm with u
How did you do that?  See I can't spell Neelam with u.
John

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 07:41:51 PM »
On that list I've only had Keitt and Neelam. Two different flavor profiles. Is there a flavor profile you're looking for? Of the two, I prefer Neelam, but what difference does that make? You have Neelam in your signature--do you already have a tree? Mine was great and productive but got hit hard by the freezes and hurricane, but it is trying to make a comeback. I hope it does, as I really like the fruit. Let us know what you decide!

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 07:44:10 PM »
I'm stuck with the Neelam spelling too, johnb51

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 07:58:59 PM »
Neelam

......damnit!

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 08:00:41 PM »
roblack, is that Neelam with an a or Neelam with a u? They're hard to tell apart

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 08:01:35 PM »
Ps, I tried the editing after posting trick too, but it didn't work for me either

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 08:11:10 PM »
I would recommend Beverly.
It is a very nice fruit.  You may be correct about disease susceptibility but I will take what I can get of that variety.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 08:12:41 PM by Orkine »

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2023, 08:26:23 PM »
Neelum

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2023, 08:34:23 PM »
Neelum

WIth a "U"

NeelUUUm

=)

My favorite late season mangoes are mmm4 and Lil Gem

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2023, 08:47:21 PM »
Beverly is delicious and best flavor of all those to me but it has tendency for seed to sprout out while still ripening. Also has tendency to alternate bare After heavy crop in my neighborhood.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2023, 08:50:08 PM »
I should add that some experts (not me) point to M4 as their new favorite late season mango.

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2023, 09:14:02 PM »
no love for cotton candy?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2023, 09:18:37 PM »
Last season Palm City made a statement that at the end of the season he appreciates the classic mangoes. At the end of last season I had some Keitt mangoes that I really enjoyed. As being a backyard grower Zone pusher I need to cull my Grove. Before I make a decision on very late I wanted to get recommendations from forum members. I have a fellow grower who I exchange fruit with that would like to have my Neelaum. I have Little Gem for late West Indian profile thanks to Tony CC recommendation. As far as the classic profile I have Pickering and Karen Michelle thanks to Honest Abe's recommendation.  My neighbor has VP. I think John51 threatened to take an ax to his Neelam tree the first season I'm not as patient as he is LOL
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 09:52:11 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2023, 05:02:39 AM »
Neelսm with u
How did you do that?  See I can't spell Neelam with u.

You could copy and paste from my message, that u isn't really a u, it just looks like it.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2023, 09:48:44 AM »
You're right, bovine.  I did prematurely chop down a Neelam tree after only one fruiting season because the flavor was too carroty.  I regret doing that.  I planted a Mahachanok in its place, and I really liked the fruit.  Alas, all the backyard fruit trees are gone at that house with a swimming pool in their place.
John

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2023, 12:13:53 PM »
My u in Neelum is a real live u--I just changed the font size.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2023, 07:31:12 PM »
My u in Neelum is a real live u--I just changed the font size.
I like to pronounce it with the U and yes fliptop it is one of the trees that I didn't have time or the energy to protect and it got frosted toasted. It's a live but it won't be blooming this season.  John51 I was quite frustrated last season with trying to figure out when and how to pick it. I know given more time it should get better. I'm going to give this tree to a fellow Co-op member who will share the fruit with me. I think I will be much happier with Beverly the forum members were persuasive. I am into collecting what I call the nostalgic Zill mangoes. Such as Sophie Frey and Walter does seem fond of Beverly even though he's not sure where the name came from. I was surprised that you two are fond of Neelam. I would have bet dollars to Donuts you were in the classic camp🙂

« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 08:11:57 PM by bovine421 »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2023, 07:36:11 PM »
Beverly is delicious and best flavor of all those to me but it has tendency for seed to sprout out while still ripening. Also has tendency to alternate bare After heavy crop in my neighborhood.
True on both counts.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2023, 06:55:10 AM »
bovine421, I have favorites in all flavor profiles (except the one Alex describes as Indian-Alphonso, yuck). For the Indian-West Indian, my favorite is probably Ice Cream, but it's not productive here. While Classic is a top flavor profile for me, it's probably second to Indochinese at this point. But everything changes, including our collections . . . I hear you about culling the herd due to time/energy/resource limitations

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2023, 08:34:26 AM »
bovine421, I have favorites in all flavor profiles (except the one Alex describes as Indian-Alphonso, yuck). For the Indian-West Indian, my favorite is probably Ice Cream, but it's not productive here. While Classic is a top flavor profile for me, it's probably second to Indochinese at this point. But everything changes, including our collections . . . I hear you about culling the herd due to time/energy/resource limitations
Fliptop last season I overdosed on the tart I'm still feeling the Pucker. This season I'm going to indulge in the classics and use moderation with the Indo chinese hybrids. Ice cream does pretty well up here other than you definitely have to spray the Bloom. What I'm stoked about is Little Gem Karen Michelle and M-4 for have exploded with bloom. They are all of good size and have been in the ground for over 3 years. You my find this humors.🙂 My mother-in-law calls Little Gem. Mr Jim😅 Mr Jim how are you today!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 08:39:06 AM by bovine421 »

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2023, 09:38:16 AM »
I should add that some experts (not me) point to M4 as their new favorite late season mango.
My M4 held fruit until early September. Superior quality and not problems with MBBS. I also have Venus and Sweet Tart. Not sure about the MBBS thingy yet. I took out Keitt, didn't get a single fruit due to MBBS. For me M4 is a sure winner as far as late season Mangos go.