Author Topic: Top 3 mango's to grow in broward county, fl.  (Read 19757 times)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Top 3 mango's to grow in broward county, fl.
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2016, 08:12:47 AM »
I think you should try to plant at least four to stretch out the season--one early, one late, and two mid-season.  Pickering ripens in June so it should get the nod for the early one.  The fruit tastes great with coconut tones, and it's a beauty of a tree.  And is there a better truly late mango than Keitt, which is a workhorse of a tree with huge tangy delicious mangos?  Any other nominees for late mango?

Venus, Honey Kiss, Beverly, Providence.  I prefer Beverly.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 08:15:54 AM »
Agree on Cac. Very delicious mango with high production and great disease resistance.

I'm confused by PPK over Lemon Zest preference. I'll bet that the tree(s) from which the forum members obtained their samples from (Walter's / Gary's ?) had a bad / washed out year last year. PPK is definitely outstanding, but Lemon zest are more strongly flavored and larger. It's beneficial to have both though, since PPK is earlier. I have the complete collection -- 3 LZ, 1 PPK, and a OS seedling :-).

I have never been totally wowed by LZ, but I hold out hope.  I have 2 planted out though, and the wife loves them.  Thus far, I have derfinitely preferred PPK and OS to LZ.  As John said, the PPK is a flavor bomb, and seems to be productive though my tree isn't fruiting yet.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2016, 09:45:02 AM »
I planted Providence last summer as my late-season mango because I tasted one at Walter Zill's and loved the Kent-like flavor.  I liked it way more than Beverly although I don't know how late the fruit is going to ripen for me.  Definitely not as late as Keitt.  There are a few young Keitt trees in my neighborhood, and they're doing great--healthy and full of fruit. The way they grow with the long branches isn't very attractive, but it's still a great and irreplaceable variety in my opinion.  The commercial mango growers in the California desert (Coachella Valley) have had great success with Keitt.
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2016, 12:06:37 PM »
Out of the late season i like Venus the best.
Does anyone know if honey kiss, Venus, Prov. or Beverly get close to November like Keitt?
Also out in SoCal JF has Rudiett which is suppose to be pretty late, anyone tried growing it here?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2016, 12:48:51 PM »
Out of the late season i like Venus the best.
Does anyone know if honey kiss, Venus, Prov. or Beverly get close to November like Keitt?
Also out in SoCal JF has Rudiett which is suppose to be pretty late, anyone tried growing it here?

Beverly definitely can make it into October some years. I don't know if HoneyKiss will last quite that late but it appears to at least run later than the others as well.

Venus' season more mimics that of Kent, which I suspect is its paternal parent. Providence does as well and won't last that late.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2016, 12:59:36 PM »
Didn't realize Venus wasn't that late. That's unfortunate as i really liked it. I suppose i'll go for honey kiss.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2016, 01:07:37 PM »
Didn't realize Venus wasn't that late. That's unfortunate as i really liked it. I suppose i'll go for honey kiss.

I can get you scions of both if you want to cocktail it.
~Jeff

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2016, 02:36:34 PM »

I can get you scions of both if you want to cocktail it.

I was thinking about a late season cocktail, but it seems all of the above have very different growth habits.
Beverly is more spreading so maybe if can go with a Keitt.
I think providence and Honey kiss might go together IF i put Honey kiss on the more sunny side.
It seem like Venus might a little more vigorous than I originally thought
And the jury is still out on Galaxy
Also i remembering reading post about people getting sweet tart into Sept...
Decisions decisions...

I guess this is relevant to the topic because if you only had 3 mango to plant (I can only speak for myself here) I'd rather have 3 good mangos spread through the season.
As opposed to of 3 outstanding mangos for a 3-5 weeks.

But the real solution is to have 15+ trees ;D ;D

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2016, 03:11:46 PM »
All very good points, to take into consideration.  ;D

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 05:32:34 PM »
I guess this is relevant to the topic because if you only had 3 mango to plant (I can only speak for myself here) I'd rather have 3 good mangos spread through the season.

Exactly.  That's what I'm sayin'.
John

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2016, 11:00:40 AM »
Thanks, Alex and Jeff, for the information on Cac.
It sounds like a winner.      8)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2016, 11:47:29 AM »
I haven't run across a lot of information on Cac / Coc  regarding flavor or other characteristics. Could you or zands help me out?    I'm wondering where I can plant the one I've had sitting in a pot for too long.

Good solid complex Vietnamese mango unlike nam doc mai which I like but is (as many have noted) more of a straight honey taste.
Cac=Coc=Cat ????  So it seems. It is a roundish-oval shaped mango. Not elongated like NDM.  Wish I had more detail on taste but I gave all mine away last year to generate interest in this variety. I am not good on taste details from 24+ months ago

Coc mango tree is found at Excalibur when they have it in stock. I know they propagate it. Others might but I am not aware of it
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 12:29:34 PM by zands »

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2016, 12:04:18 PM »
I thinks there's a misspelling on the Cac mango. Cat is the Vietnamese one: means "sand". At least it should be spelled Cat but pronounced, it sounds like Cac. So the "sand mango" not the "meowing mango" lol

Even more confusing, Coc (I'm assuming is Vietnamese) usually refers to dwarf/regular Ambarella. But it must taste better.

"Cac" may actually be synonymous with "Xoi Cat Chu". When you google photos of Cat Chu in Vietnam, they do look very similar to the mango we know as Cac.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 12:13:11 PM by Squam256 »

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2016, 12:19:30 PM »
I thinks there's a misspelling on the Cac mango. Cat is the Vietnamese one: means "sand". At least it should be spelled Cat but pronounced, it sounds like Cac. So the "sand mango" not the "meowing mango" lol

Even more confusing, Coc (I'm assuming is Vietnamese) usually refers to dwarf/regular Ambarella. But it must taste better.

"Cac" may actually be synonymous with "Xoi Cat Chu". When you google photos of Cat Chu in Vietnam, they do look very similar to the mango we know as Cac.

I was under the impression that you were growing all 3 Vietnamese mangoes (Cac, Cat Chu, and Cat Hoa Loc).  Have you seen the resemblance of Cac and Cat Chu in your groves?
~Jeff

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2016, 12:51:01 PM »
The coc/cac/cat that I've had have more of a complex flavor (distantly similar to Maha Chanok) when eaten at the right stage.

Like the sweet tart and Maha Chanok, the cac has a "coca cola" smelling sap.
Jeff  :-)

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2016, 01:02:13 PM »
The coc/cac/cat that I've had have more of a complex flavor (distantly similar to Maha Chanok) when eaten at the right stage.

FWIW, the flavor is balanced (not just sweet like many Asian mangoes) and has a tropical taste that is hard to describe yet hard to beat--Finishes sweet and smooth.  They are also a good size, seem to have good production and good disease resistance
~Jeff

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2016, 01:13:46 PM »

I love that smell.
Black Spice and/or Buxton Spice (from Guyana) has that smell to.
Only a few more weeks to wait til the season gets going

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2016, 01:39:22 PM »

I was under the impression that you were growing all 3 Vietnamese mangoes (Cac, Cat Chu, and Cat Hoa Loc).  Have you seen the resemblance of Cac and Cat Chu in your groves?

I am growing them. My Cat Chu was sold to me by Excalibur years ago and finally produced a couple blooms this year. I think it has a couple under-developed fruits on it. From what I can remember the growth habit is different from my Cac trees. But who knows, it could just be a mis-label, just like the "Quidnau" I bought from them that turned out to be some random piece of garbage, and a "Cushman" that turned out to be a Keow Savoy.

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2016, 07:20:18 PM »

Exactly.  That's what I'm sayin'.
Never occurred to me, one of the many reasons I started this thread. Looks like I need more mango's!

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2016, 08:11:53 AM »
I am also planning to plant 2 to 4 mangos next spring.  My new house is about a mile from the east side of Lake Apopka.  I see both juvenile and adult sized mango trees throughout the Ocoee, Winter Garden, and Oakland neighborhoods, so cold damage looks to be pretty minimal in my area.  Would the above mentioned cultivars all have good disease resistance?  I am not overly concerned with stretching the season, but it would be nice.

I currently have a 7 gallon Sweet Tart, a 3 gallon Pina Colada and a 3 gallon Fruit Punch at my old house on the coast.  Was looking to pick up a Pickering, and possibly trade out for a better disease resistance.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2016, 01:39:41 PM »
I am also planning to plant 2 to 4 mangos next spring.  My new house is about a mile from the east side of Lake Apopka.  I see both juvenile and adult sized mango trees throughout the Ocoee, Winter Garden, and Oakland neighborhoods, so cold damage looks to be pretty minimal in my area.  Would the above mentioned cultivars all have good disease resistance?  I am not overly concerned with stretching the season, but it would be nice.

I currently have a 7 gallon Sweet Tart, a 3 gallon Pina Colada and a 3 gallon Fruit Punch at my old house on the coast.  Was looking to pick up a Pickering, and possibly trade out for a better disease resistance.

Looks like you have the cream of the crop selection for mangos.
I haven't heard any negatives about the disease resistance for any of the ones you've mentioned. Not quite sure about Pina Colada though.

For those of you who have ate a lot the the new zills, is it easy to comfortable binge on say.. sweat tart?
I don't know first hand but i could imagine that if a fruit is super flavorful i couldn't eat a bunch in one sitting with out feeling sick.
Any truth to this?

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2016, 01:45:40 PM »
Concerning coc/cac mango.

From what i've read and have been told, its growth habits are open and vigorous.
What would be a mango tree that grows similar. Coco Cream? Vallenato?
I was wondering about a tree to multi graft it to (Always trying to increase my variety 8))

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2016, 01:57:01 PM »

I haven't heard any negatives about the disease resistance for any of the ones you've mentioned. Not quite sure about Pina Colada though.

For those of you who have ate a lot the the new zills, is it easy to comfortable binge on say.. sweat tart?
I don't know first hand but i could imagine that if a fruit is super flavorful i couldn't eat a bunch in one sitting with out feeling sick.
Any truth to this?

I find it hard to eat a lot of fruit punch....I haven't tried but I bet I could eat ST until they were gone...but that is why Cac and MC are good additions to this list (and potentially seacrest as well--though I don't know it's disease resistance) as they are intensely flavored, but in a way that allows for gorging
~Jeff

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2016, 01:59:37 PM »
Concerning coc/cac mango.

From what i've read and have been told, its growth habits are open and vigorous.
What would be a mango tree that grows similar. Coco Cream? Vallenato?
I was wondering about a tree to multi graft it to (Always trying to increase my variety 8))

I have a young Coc mango tree and a friend has a mature 20-25'  Cac, they are not the same fruit

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2016, 03:19:48 PM »

Any truth to this?

I got sick eating Pina Coladas once. The disease resistance on it is lousy by the way.

Sweet Tart might be a bit much to 'binge' on as well. But it might be the best mango you ever eat.