Author Topic: Plant and Bug ID  (Read 2281 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Plant and Bug ID
« on: May 17, 2016, 09:10:34 AM »
First up, this came out of my Pond Apple pot. I don't know if this is a pond apple though

I don't know what plant this is or if its even a fruit tree. It might just be a weed but i wanted to be sure before i pull it

Last one. I saw a few of these eating annona leaves (picture is on a starfruit leaf though). They don't seem to be doing much damage though.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Plant and Bug ID
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 09:49:24 AM »
I believe that is, indeed, Pond apple.  Can't help on the other pics.  Color of the weed in #2 reminded me of firebush, but the leaves look very different so I am not sure.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 11:14:20 AM »
Thanks Jeff,

thats one down

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 01:18:08 PM »
The bug is a june beetle. They're all over my cement slab/sliding glass door area at night time. They haven't been nearly as much of a pest as the Weevil at least for me

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 01:36:54 PM »
http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2188583/night-dining-beetles

Yessir, I see 5-10 of them every morning stuck in my water barrels by a light source. My cats swat/kill them too. However, I have not noticed any damage from them to any of my plants/trees over the past couple years. I've never even seen them on my plants (weevils on the other hand...). Maybe they feast on the yearly acacia or carrotwood tree in my neighbors yard when they aren't aimlessly flying into my sliding doors at night.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 08:05:22 PM »
Carabid beetle and there are some species that dom a little damage but they should be a serious or persistent pest.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 09:52:56 PM »
The bug is known as cuban may beetle. They start off as giant ugly looking grubs that feed on grass roots. Twice a year you will see them, once in may and once in sept if memory serves. They can be a real problem -- even to the point of totally defoliating a tree that they are fond of. They tend to like plants in the sapoticaceous family.

But they are easy to get rid of: just delete your grass and after about 18 months, they will be gone. Oddly they don't travel very far, so even though your neighbors have grass, you can effectively eliminate the problem by just mulching over your lawn. That's what I did. Haven't seen them in years.

There are also grub control products that you can use. Milky spore could help? I haven't tried either though.
Jeff  :-)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 05:23:05 PM »
A very similar beetle appears in the thousands every few years in my yard after rain and the chew the living ship out of guavas and relatives. They emerge from the yard itself, last just a few days and the humus eating larva are underground. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk