Author Topic: Achacha in California?  (Read 11977 times)

Organic

• Riverside, ca' 9b
    • View Profile
Achacha in California?
« on: September 23, 2016, 01:16:53 AM »
Anyone know if you can grow achacha in California?

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Re: Achacha in California?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 10:20:51 AM »
California is pretty big. I'd say Southern Cal areas have better shot at fruiting Achachairu than northern. Not aware of anybody that has fruited them in California yet. Plenty of people in California are trying though, so within 10 years people should have better idea.

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 01:05:34 PM »
There are a lot of people growing rare fruits in California who don't talk about it on the Internet. Achachairu is one of the fruits being quietly grown to maturity in backyards in southern California. I've heard the stories and I'm working on getting more evidence and possibly some fruit, which is in season right now.

I have several small Achachairu trees in the ground here in northern California, and they've done well enough for me this summer to think it should be easy in the warmer spots down south.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 01:15:14 PM »
There are a lot of people growing rare fruits in California who don't talk about it on the Internet. Achachairu is one of the fruits being quietly grown to maturity in backyards in southern California. I've heard the stories and I'm working on getting more evidence and possibly some fruit, which is in season right now.

I have several small Achachairu trees in the ground here in northern California, and they've done well enough for me this summer to think it should be easy in the warmer spots down south.

This is true. I'm also interested finding a fruiting achachairu in SoCal which looks doable from the tree I have. I like to know when it starts flowering.  There is a garcinia xanthochima in Fullerton arboretum that's always loaded with fruits or flowers.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 05:42:12 PM »
I have a small one growing unprotected outdoors for a couple years now. It will probably be another 3 years before I get fruit. I know lots of people are growing this fruit but most the people I know have small trees.

Simon

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 11:53:29 PM »
I have an 8 year old seedling in a 32 gallon pot. I would guess it should survive in S. CA pretty well.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 10:06:51 AM »
Ethan, how large is yours in a pot?  After eight years does it still seam happy in a pot?

Bill

Birdman

• San Pedro California USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 03:06:55 PM »
I have xanthocimus outdoors year round, I know that tree at the Fullerton. Actually achachairu is probably the fastest germinating garcinia for me. I see no real reason for it to not do well in my area. Xanthocimus,  intermedia and Luc's Mexican are doing very well and the climate range for achachairu overlaps the same sort of range.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 04:38:19 PM »
What is the largest known Achachairu in California?  The largest I know of is franks that I think is six feet?
I'm under the impression they start fruiting at about ten feet tall.

Bill

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 10:18:30 PM »
I finally got my hands on California-grown Achachairus! And they're unbelievably good!!

I didn't see the trees they came from, a friend of mine did, and reported they were about 15 years old and very bushy. Grown in Orange County near the coast.

This fruit is really good and everyone in Southern California should be growing it.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 01:10:58 AM »
Very nice. So how tall and wide is this bushy tree?

Bill

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 10:05:49 AM »
so, what is the cold tolerance on this ?

I am in New Orleans. Zone 9b, but the last 3 years the worst frost we had was 2 years ago
it hit 28F for a few hours just before dawn. some years we never get a frost,
but we have had temps in the low 20s a few times, but, its very rare.
at that point i would loose several plants anyway...
so, once a decade i might have to buy more fruit trees.

We have been breaking heat records too.
but i  am guessing if it can handle SoCal it should be OK here as far as heat.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 11:23:38 AM »
I finally got my hands on California-grown Achachairus! And they're unbelievably good!!

I didn't see the trees they came from, a friend of mine did, and reported they were about 15 years old and very bushy. Grown in Orange County near the coast.

This fruit is really good and everyone in Southern California should be growing it.

Great job Joe very encouraging.
SoCal coastal climate are amazing. I think there are 11a growing zone in areas of the south bay and Orange County and look what Mark Lee is doing in Chula Vista in SD. I'm no longer surprise what can be grown in SoCal.

alan

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 05:02:13 PM »
Yes, I've thought that for awhile that right near the coast in Orange County really is zone 11, and not 10b.  Great to hear the Achachairus is fruiting in this region!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 05:06:10 PM by alan »

Birdman

• San Pedro California USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 10:38:23 PM »
You're right about there being pockets of 11a here in So Cal. I'm in North San Pedro elevation 190 feet at the base of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Technically I'm in zone 10b but my winter lows are higher than that. Achachairu can be found at higher elevations on the Amazonia plateau from what I've read.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 02:19:07 AM »
You're right about there being pockets of 11a here in So Cal. I'm in North San Pedro elevation 190 feet at the base of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Technically I'm in zone 10b but my winter lows are higher than that. Achachairu can be found at higher elevations on the Amazonia plateau from what I've read.
Achachairu js from the foothills of the Andes, not the Amazon.
Oscar

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 02:47:40 PM »
Are these the sort of fruit you basically have to suck on, like Spanish Lime (genip)? Or is it easy to eat?

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 03:46:47 PM »
I'd say about 80% of the flesh comes off the seed easily, the remaining 20% sticks to the very large seeds. It reminds of swirling one of those honey-lemon lozenges around my mouth, sucking out the flavor until it dissolves.

The only thing I didn't like was that 1/3 of the fruits had small soft undeveloped seeds which had a resinous taste if chewed accidentally. If you get one of those, you're picking those bits out of your mouth before you can really enjoy the tasty parts.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 03:53:00 PM by joehewitt »

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »
Joehewitt, interesting what you say about the underdeveloped seeds in some of the fruit. The Achachairu I had all had fully formed seeds. But the fruit I had were more ripe with an orange color. Maybe that is the difference. Do you know how large the tree is that these fruit came off?  How tall and wide?

Bill

hungplu

• OC CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 06:01:12 PM »
Greetings,

Kindly advise where to buy this tree in Orange county CA. Thanks

Ahernan2006

• USA, CA, San Diego, 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 06:56:20 PM »
Hi,

Im looking for an achacha tree to plant in San Diego. Does anyone know where I can find an achacha in Southern California?

Lilduckie76

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2020, 10:33:09 PM »
I just bought mine through facebook Marketplace in Garden Grove, Ca. About 2 to 3ft tall in 5 gallon pot.
Can anyone tell me what this brown spots are on the leaves. Should I be concerned and do something before it gets worse?

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2023, 12:47:45 PM »
Reviving an old thread here in search of an update.  It’s been a few years and time for these SoCal growers to have trees mature a bit more.

Have you guys been successful with growing and fruiting Achachairu here in SoCal?

Looks like a delicious fruit.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2023, 08:02:14 PM »
I have some trees growing but they are not that well suited.  The Lucs tree seems to be more hardy. 
Brad Spaugh

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2023, 02:29:28 AM »
I have some trees growing but they are not that well suited.  The Lucs tree seems to be more hardy.

Feel free to give me grief for not being sure Spaugh… do you mean lucuma when you say "Lucs" ?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 04:03:54 PM by Jeramyl »