Author Topic: June is Pitanga time!  (Read 2521 times)

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
June is Pitanga time!
« on: June 20, 2015, 04:45:43 PM »
Hi all

The month of June is specially good for Pitangas
Let me show you some pics of the different Pitangas I'm growing (and eating!) here:

For a start here is how the "Round fruit" Eugenia pitanga looks like:

And here they are again sharing the photo with some cousins (Pitangatuba + Calycina + Pear Shape Uvaias)

Again but now sharing the photo with other Pitangatubas and with his sisters "Black Ribbed" Eugenia pitanga... not so black today because I had to collect those before the birds do it.

And here are some fruits from one Eugenia uniflora with small leaves and almost round fruits... this is one of those from uplands at south Brazil that should resist lower temperatures... fruits are very sweet and tasty, with a very long peduncle... the fruits are usually bigger than that on the photo but that was the only one that bird left on the tree.

And to end here is the one that I was almost considering a myth... the orange pitanga... apparently it does exist and the fruits are huge!... and tasty too!...Unfortunately the tree is not mine... but those seeds are and they are planted on my GH already!

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 05:26:44 PM by Miguel.pt »

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: June is Pitanga time!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 10:03:08 PM »
Very nice Miguel.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 10:28:38 PM »
Great photos Miguel. Especially liked the comparison shots. Thanks for posting them.
Oscar

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 10:39:13 PM »
Beautiful Miguel, made my mouth water looking a great pic's thanks for posting ! Love the orange pitanga  8)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 04:43:55 AM »
Muitos parabéns amigo! Congratulations! My pitangas didn't fruit yet... maby next year!  ;)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 05:51:16 AM »
Thanks for the shots, my E.pitanga in the ground is almost that big so I have expectations.I have an orange pitanga from Brazil and the leaves are larger than usual pitanga.

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 06:43:15 AM »
Thanks for the shots, my E.pitanga in the ground is almost that big so I have expectations.I have an orange pitanga from Brazil and the leaves are larger than usual pitanga.

Yes Mike, the Orange Pitanga has larger leaves than normal Red or Black Pitangas (Eugenia uniflora).
That seem to be a distinctive characteristic for this variety.

You probably have the real thing too!... congrats!

8ofGac

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2023, 03:02:33 AM »
Hi all

The month of June is specially good for Pitangas
Let me show you some pics of the different Pitangas I'm growing (and eating!) here:

For a start here is how the "Round fruit" Eugenia pitanga looks like:

And here they are again sharing the photo with some cousins (Pitangatuba + Calycina + Pear Shape Uvaias)

Again but now sharing the photo with other Pitangatubas and with his sisters "Black Ribbed" Eugenia pitanga... not so black today because I had to collect those before the birds do it.

And here are some fruits from one Eugenia uniflora with small leaves and almost round fruits... this is one of those from uplands at south Brazil that should resist lower temperatures... fruits are very sweet and tasty, with a very long peduncle... the fruits are usually bigger than that on the photo but that was the only one that bird left on the tree.

And to end here is the one that I was almost considering a myth... the orange pitanga... apparently it does exist and the fruits are huge!... and tasty too!...Unfortunately the tree is not mine... but those seeds are and they are planted on my GH already!

Who’s photo is that of the Orange  Pitanga ?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2023, 01:46:38 PM »
Looking awesome Miguel! Almost all of the orange pitanga seeds I got from you sprouted, so hopefully I'll have a good chance for an orange one.

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 06:21:00 AM »
Hello Folks
Just realised this 2015 post of my Pitanga fruit trees collection was revisited recently...

Not sure if you're all aware but this particular variety of Orange Pitanga with big fruits was reviewed by Jared Rydelek (Weird Fruit Explorer) on a recent episode filmed during his visit to Lisbon/Portugal back in may last year.
Have you seen it?... apparently Jared liked it.
In fact I believe that the fruits that Jared reviewed came from a tree that grew from one of those seeds you can see on my hand back in 2015.

This is the variety I've been calling "Orange Pitangão" because fruits are much bigger than those of another variety of Orange Pitangas on my colection.
I remember that this "Weird Fruit Explorer" episode was filmed in may 19th 2022 so, hopefully, in a month I expect to have ripe fruits on my tree again and I will be offering fresh seeds for sale if anyone's interested. Just PM me in case you want some.
You can also find this "Weird Fruit Explorer" episode on my facebook page MIGUEL PT
Here's the link to that episode on Youtube... enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uVVNSmrPlk
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 10:19:59 AM by Miguel.pt »