Author Topic: Mango maintenance  (Read 1250 times)

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Mango maintenance
« on: July 25, 2019, 09:58:21 AM »
I have these three mangoes which to me seem fairly leggy. Should I pug them down and if yes, do it this season? No fruit on them at all this year. Rapoza, Pickering, maha chinok varieties. Would pugging them produce a more pleasing bush form?

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Mango maintenance
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »
Kudos on using the airpots.  I wouldn't pug them just yet because theyre still pretty small but I would definitely top them at every intersection where there are more than 4 leaves that meet at the same point.  I would prefer short and stocky over tall and lanky when it comes to holding fruit.  Again kudos on the air pots.  Theyre expensive but work wonders on the initial root growth of any plant before transplanting into the ground. 

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 11:31:34 AM »
I love the air pots, but cant find any more. I want some bigger sizes. One of those is bulging out the side.

They are 5-6 feet tall. I pugged my in-grounds a few years back and they bushed out combined with a freeze two winters back and are much thicker than they were.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 11:45:02 AM »
I use rootmaker roll pots also.  The original type has only outward protruding spikes.  The type you have I believe is the “knockoff” type available on Alibaba... you could check there to see if they still make them.

How do they hold up?  Ive never tried them as I have been able to keep reusing the rootmaker brand ones I have

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 01:35:40 PM »
They work great. Like you I have used mine over and over for years. I bought mine off an online company here in the States that apparently catered to pot growers but it has since gone out of business. 

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 03:57:46 PM »
for the original type search google for "rootbuilder roll 100ft".  I see them from ~$300. 

Alibaba and Aliexpress have the knockoff type.. though I've never ordered from them.  ex. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/40-40CM-Air-Pot-Nersery-Pruning-Plant-Root-Trainer-Fast-Root-Grow-Container-Hydroponic-Garden-Tree/32949686156.html

Amazon has them too if you search for "air root"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk