Author Topic: My Cambuca (Plinia edulis) tree!  (Read 47431 times)

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: My Cambuca (Plinia edulis) tree!
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2016, 06:23:11 PM »
Very nice!! :)
I love the flowers. They look like miniature white pom poms!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2016, 05:31:08 AM »
My experience with cambuca here, at least with type that i have, is that they will start fruiting in 8 years under good conditions. But there may be different rates depending on type of cambuca. Adam, do you know where this person obtained their original seeds?
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2016, 08:01:14 PM »
Oscar,

i think the persons I got plants and scions from, both came indirectly from Frankies.

I just noticed today, my grafted cambuca that's planted in ground, has started to flower!

I used a mature scion that had produced flowers...(but it was only the size of a chopstick at best)...it took about 3-4yrs to finally flower...but that is not long at all considering the usual wait...

i bet it would have been a bit faster if I'd used a larger scion.

u can barely see the graft unions. but there are two main branches that are grafted...only one is flowering so far.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2016, 09:58:46 PM »
Great going!
FYI Frankies cambuca start came form Antonio Morschbacker in Brazil. He is the one that wrote a paper on cambucas together with Marco Lacerda. Antonio told me when i met him in Brazil that he had picked out an especially large and good fruiting tree to send to Frankies.
First cambuca tree i planted took about 12 years to fruit. Second tree i planted, right next to first tree only took 8 years to fruit. The difference was first tree only got partial sun. Second tree got full sun.
Oscar

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2016, 07:50:51 AM »
Great going!
FYI Frankies cambuca start came form Antonio Morschbacker in Brazil. He is the one that wrote a paper on cambucas together with Marco Lacerda. Antonio told me when i met him in Brazil that he had picked out an especially large and good fruiting tree to send to Frankies.
First cambuca tree i planted took about 12 years to fruit. Second tree i planted, right next to first tree only took 8 years to fruit. The difference was first tree only got partial sun. Second tree got full sun.
Oscar: I got some cambuca seeds from you last year and now small plant; is it fair to assume the original tree for your cambuca was Frankie's? I also have cambuca from Frankie's so I wanted to record the differences. Thanks. F.
Federico
Homestead, FL

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2016, 05:38:11 PM »
Great going!
Oscar: I got some cambuca seeds from you last year and now small plant; is it fair to assume the original tree for your cambuca was Frankie's? I also have cambuca from Frankie's so I wanted to record the differences. Thanks. F.
Yes that's right. My cambuca tree is originally from Frankies.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2016, 06:01:48 PM »
I got cambuca seeds from Oscar and 2 sources in Brazil. They were spread around to a few enthusiasts and a friend of mine grows 3 in pots that are a little over 2 feet high. He advised me that flowering on one took place first when 3 yrs and 10 months old. That is since it was a seed. No fruit set and the seeds were from Oscar for that plant.I understand another at a different persons house at 3 feet high produced a single flower even younger for a plant in full sun.My oldest 2 at 4 years have yet to produce a flower but they are not mollycoddled at my place.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2016, 09:48:31 PM »
I got cambuca seeds from Oscar and 2 sources in Brazil. They were spread around to a few enthusiasts and a friend of mine grows 3 in pots that are a little over 2 feet high. He advised me that flowering on one took place first when 3 yrs and 10 months old. That is since it was a seed. No fruit set and the seeds were from Oscar for that plant.I understand another at a different persons house at 3 feet high produced a single flower even younger for a plant in full sun.My oldest 2 at 4 years have yet to produce a flower but they are not mollycoddled at my place.
They must like Australia! That is very young to be producing flowers.
Oscar

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2020, 03:21:42 PM »
Oscar, Im curious have the Cambuca’s peaked in their flavor, or do you believe them to still be getting better?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2020, 03:25:12 AM »
Oscar, Im curious have the Cambuca’s peaked in their flavor, or do you believe them to still be getting better?
About the same the last few years.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2020, 05:14:51 AM »
Cambuca update : 4 years later and none of mine have flowered yet and the oldest is around 8 yo now. My friend's potted prodigy which flowered once at around 4 has not flowered again so it was and isolated, rogue flowering event.

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2021, 03:37:57 PM »
Pretty excited to get the first fruit on this guy, there was a second one on the tree which split but tasted relatively similar.
I've had this Cambucazeiro in mostly full sun for the past few years with of duck water from the kiddie pool next to it and also the fish pond overflow. He's in a 25 gal pot but in ground, I need to dig it out sometime when I feel amped up and check the root status. He is at least 8 years old now and standing 8 ft tall.

https://youtu.be/N5Pc8_eZCkI

Happy days
- Marius

shilohtech

• USA, Hawaii/Oahu, Mililani, 12a
    • View Profile
    • Grow Tropical Fruits Youtube Page
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2021, 06:06:49 PM »
Doesn't look like that fruit was ripe yet. Should be soft pulp all the way through up to the skin. Try to plant the 2 seed halves anyway. Might still grow. Congrats on the first fruit. It will be better when you can get the fruit to ripen more on the tree.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2022, 03:43:54 PM »
just got to taste a cambuca grown here on the farm, and we made a video of the event...

https://youtu.be/VX0QGo5yMgs
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2022, 11:00:00 AM »
Nice big fruit Adam, but your face when eating skin was not convincing 8)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2022, 01:20:09 PM »
Nice big fruit Adam, but your face when eating skin was not convincing 8)

looool

nice to hear from you Robert
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com