Author Topic: Check out what Freeze Dried Jaboticaba Pulp Looks Like! Imagine the Taste!  (Read 3984 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
this is pure red jaboticaba pulp, freeze dried, the result is one of the most amazing fruit related items you can taste...like jaboticaba cotton candy with a crunch...intense flavor...sweet with some sour...my favorite thing to do with jaboticaba for sure...(not a wine drinker here lol...fruit leathers used to be the thing, but that's soooo 2000 and late)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
Look like canned tuna without water lol.  I canned tuna from fishing trip.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
been selling jars on ebay at auction, they start at a penny and go pretty high from there...I guess this food product is hard to source for some reason?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Sounds great! Would love to try it but not if dem crazies bid it thru the roof!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Great description Adam 8)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
That looks interesting Adam, throw up an auction!

How did you process jaboticaba prior to freeze drying. Seems like an arduous task unless you know what you are doing.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
It looks like freeze drying jaboticaba pulp would be an arduous, time-consuming process. I think getting $30-40 per jar would probably be the only way it would pay off for the time and effort expended. That being said, Adam's freeze dried Pitangatuba looks like it was relatively easy to make. Freeze dried Pitangatuba could be something that ends up in grocery stores (or at least specialty groceries) in the future.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
It looks like freeze drying jaboticaba pulp would be an arduous, time-consuming process. I think getting $30-40 per jar would probably be the only way it would pay off for the time and effort expended. That being said, Adam's freeze dried Pitangatuba looks like it was relatively easy to make. Freeze dried Pitangatuba could be something that ends up in grocery stores (or at least specialty groceries) in the future.

Pitangatuba, in any format, will not be in any store.  Outside of collectors, its not widely known.  Its not a feasible cash crop and too delicate to transport for selling whole or to a processing plant.

With that being said,  both of Adam's freeze dried fruit look delish and worth the money they are fetching.
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
It looks super delicious Adam, I would have never thought of making that with Jaboticabas.

Simon

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
I somehow won his first jar of kimbers. Its amazing! Its nice and crunchy at first almost tasting like sweet freeze dried strawberries then a couple chews in, the jaboticaba flavor comes through! Its really good id suggest anyone who has the chance GET SOME while you can. I herd from adam theres about 100ish jabos in each jar. Only alittle left in my jar😭😭😭.

Bill

W.

• View Profile

Pitangatuba, in any format, will not be in any store.  Outside of collectors, its not widely known.  Its not a feasible cash crop and too delicate to transport for selling whole or to a processing plant.

With that being said,  both of Adam's freeze dried fruit look delish and worth the money they are fetching.

I think that is an ignorant, narrow-minded statement. At one time, most of the fruit that we all enjoy on this forum was not widely known in the US, outside of collectors. Go ask someone living in the US (outside of Florida) a century ago, "What is a mango?" Go ask someone living in the US fifty years ago, "What is a kiwi?" Go ask someone twenty years ago, "What is a jackfruit," or "what is a mamey sapote," or "what is a rambutan" or about any number of tropical fruits that can now be found in supermarkets throughout the US today?

Pitangatuba has an interesting flavor. It has an interesting shape. Adam Shafran's name for it, starcherry, has a nice ring to it. It is probably too delicate and perishable for fresh fruit sales, though grapes and most berries are not exactly robust fruits. But, freeze drying and other processing methods could open up new possibilities for making Pitangatuba a viable agricultural crop and a presence in groceries stories across the US. Right now, 99.9% of Americans have never heard of Pitangatuba. In ten or twenty years, that could change with the presence of bags of dried starcherries next to dried cranberries and trail mix in grocery stories from coast to coast.

bsbullie

• View Profile

I think that is an ignorant, narrow-minded statement. At one time, most of the fruit that we all enjoy on this forum was not widely known in the US, outside of collectors. Go ask someone living in the US (outside of Florida) a century ago, "What is a mango?" Go ask someone living in the US fifty years ago, "What is a kiwi?" Go ask someone twenty years ago, "What is a jackfruit," or "what is a mamey sapote," or "what is a rambutan" or about any number of tropical fruits that can now be found in supermarkets throughout the US today?

Pitangatuba has an interesting flavor. It has an interesting shape. Adam Shafran's name for it, starcherry, has a nice ring to it. It is probably too delicate and perishable for fresh fruit sales, though grapes and most berries are not exactly robust fruits. But, freeze drying and other processing methods could open up new possibilities for making Pitangatuba a viable agricultural crop and a presence in groceries stories across the US. Right now, 99.9% of Americans have never heard of Pitangatuba. In ten or twenty years, that could change with the presence of bags of dried starcherries next to dried cranberries and trail mix in grocery stories from coast to coast.

Im ignotmrant?  Blah blah blah ..classic response from a dumbass.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
I somehow won his first jar of kimbers. Its amazing! Its nice and crunchy at first almost tasting like sweet freeze dried strawberries then a couple chews in, the jaboticaba flavor comes through! Its really good id suggest anyone who has the chance GET SOME while you can. I herd from adam theres about 100ish jabos in each jar. Only alittle left in my jar😭😭😭.

thanks for purchasing and sharing the pics!

I doesn't last too long, like expensive candy I guess...but not as bad for you i'd assume.

I think about a pound and a half of fruit yields 15 grams of FD pulp....white jaboticaba took like 300 fruits to make a small jar.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
Ya lasting long was not a problem for me haha it only made it 2 days i saved one little chunk for day 3 and everytime it was nice and crunchy. I could see once u open it eat it within a couple days its so crunchy and fluffy itll soak up humidity fast. I cant see anyone being able to save it longer than a few days after tasting it anyways lol. Keep up the good work adam!
Bill

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
making another batch here soon, from approx 13lbs of fruit, will see how many jars are made, maybe 15 at most I'm guessing (the typical sized jam jar i think is 16oz and I fit a little over 15grams in each jar)

ebay auctions for 3 jars of FD'd fruit end tonight  ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile

He's probably actually right but I will say there is still always room for improvement within any species. And there are many other factors involved to whether a fruit makes it commercially or becomes commonplace in any aspect.

And most Americans probably don't eat very much of what should be considered healthy food in the first place. And the price of the product would probably be high, so even less consumers.. and so on..
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 03:23:39 PM by 850FL »

W.

• View Profile

He's probably actually right but I will say there is still always room for improvement within any species. And there are many other factors involved to whether a fruit makes it commercially or becomes commonplace in any aspect.

And most Americans probably don't eat very much of what should be considered healthy food in the first place. And the price of the product would probably be high, so even less consumers.. and so on..

I agree that most Americans eat quite poorly. However, even if, say 75% of all Americans eat completely unhealthy garbage and nothing else (an exaggeration, to be fair), that would still leave 80 million Americans who do eat healthy foods such as fruit. That is a good-sized customer base with which to try and build an interest in Pitangatubas. Not that one would try and instantly create a national market for Pitangatubas. But, I think local interest could be drummed up in South Florida, Southern California, New York City, and maybe a couple of other places where there are large numbers of people with adventurous palates and disposable income. If those test markets become successful, then after a few years expand to a few more places. If successful, keep expanding. If not, stop. I am not saying Pitangatubas will replace apples in the produce section, but I think they could have potential as a specialty fruit or dried fruit product.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile

I agree that most Americans eat quite poorly. However, even if, say 75% of all Americans eat completely unhealthy garbage and nothing else (an exaggeration, to be fair), that would still leave 80 million Americans who do eat healthy foods such as fruit. That is a good-sized customer base with which to try and build an interest in Pitangatubas. Not that one would try and instantly create a national market for Pitangatubas. But, I think local interest could be drummed up in South Florida, Southern California, New York City, and maybe a couple of other places where there are large numbers of people with adventurous palates and disposable income. If those test markets become successful, then after a few years expand to a few more places. If successful, keep expanding. If not, stop. I am not saying Pitangatubas will replace apples in the produce section, but I think they could have potential as a specialty fruit or dried fruit product.

At the end of the day would it be worth it to plant orchards of these and pay for water, fertilizer, maintenance, labor, taxes, electricity, marketing etc with an unknown consumer base.. perhaps.. I agree it would be awesome to get these varieties out there. But there are other obscure fruits that may be more productive, easier to grow, better handling, unit price

W.

• View Profile

At the end of the day would it be worth it to plant orchards of these and pay for water, fertilizer, maintenance, labor, taxes, electricity, marketing etc with an unknown consumer base.. perhaps.. I agree it would be awesome to get these varieties out there. But there are other obscure fruits that may be more productive, easier to grow, better handling, unit price

I agree with you that it would be a bit of risky proposition to do a large-scale planting of Pitangatubas for commercial sale. That being said, it fruits at a small size and in three years, though the fruit production is not particularly high until the plants get older and larger and never particularly high compared to some other fruits. People like Adam, who already have many Pitangatubas, can test the market with what they have planted. If they are successful, maybe we will see some other people plant a few acres of Pitangatubas for commercial production.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Location, demographics, cultural diversity, other issues concerning where it could be marketed successfully..
Now, if the govt were to subsidize growers to grow it commercially as a vitamin/mineral-dense minor crop (maybe as an initiative to get ppl to eat healthier) or something along those lines or even as a source of vitamin (__) as in the case of acerola back in the day then maybe so.. I’d be all for it!!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
This meme is used to quell heated rare fruit debates....

http://youtu.be/hRFjUZN3tSE
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
Can we ban bsbullie?

bsbullie

• View Profile
Can we ban bsbullie?

Can we ban you?

Have you ever grown pitangatuba?  Seen ripe fruit?  Know its texture and fragility of it when ripe?  Jyst how would it lend itself to a commercial market (I am not even going to discuss the masses do not support fruit if this tartness)?  Do you even know what you are talking about or just spewing garbage?

Comparing it mango is ludicrous.

If you want to go at it, just be prepared. .
- Rob

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
Can we ban bsbullie?

Can we ban you?

Have you ever grown pitangatuba?  Seen ripe fruit?  Know its texture and fragility of it when ripe?  Jyst how would it lend itself to a commercial market (I am not even going to discuss the masses do not support fruit if this tartness)?  Do you even know what you are talking about or just spewing garbage?

Comparing it mango is ludicrous.

If you want to go at it, just be prepared. .

I just dont get why you can't make a point without insulting people. You realize this is a hobby for most people?