Author Topic: Incredible jaboticaba collection  (Read 1611 times)

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
Incredible jaboticaba collection
« on: July 26, 2021, 11:48:14 AM »
I had the great pleasure meeting up with a friend of mine Luiz who has one of the most incredible and exclusive jaboticaba collections. Here you'll see many new plinia varieties just now being introduced to the US.

https://youtu.be/tf7R4XSYh6A

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Incredible jaboticaba collection
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 01:13:34 PM »
interesting... thanks.

Kevin

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 07:13:30 PM »
That’s amazing! I only have 1 generic jaboticaba from seed, can only imagine how much effort it took to get that large a collection.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 07:54:17 PM »
That’s amazing! I only have 1 generic jaboticaba from seed, can only imagine how much effort it took to get that large a collection.

Yes, but who else on this forum has a bigger Theobroma collection than you. Probably not many people.

It is easier today to create a big jaboticaba collection than it was a few years ago. More varieties have been imported. More breeding and propagation has occurred. I say that not to lessen Luiz's achievements; he might have a top-ten in the country type of jaboticaba collection with grafted examples of some really rare varieties. I have not had time to watch the whole video, but I have already favorited it alongside tours of Adam Shafran and John Travis Morton's collections. I say it to encourage TomekK to collect more jaboticabas. After all, in two years, I went from zero jaboticabas in my collection to almost twenty varieties/species of Plinias and Myrciarias.

Shovel n Seed

• Trenton, FL 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 10:03:10 PM »

Yes, but who else on this forum has a bigger Theobroma collection than you. Probably not many people.

It is easier today to create a big jaboticaba collection than it was a few years ago. More varieties have been imported. More breeding and propagation has occurred. I say that not to lessen Luiz's achievements; he might have a top-ten in the country type of jaboticaba collection with grafted examples of some really rare varieties. I have not had time to watch the whole video, but I have already favorited it alongside tours of Adam Shafran and John Travis Morton's collections. I say it to encourage TomekK to collect more jaboticabas. After all, in two years, I went from zero jaboticabas in my collection to almost twenty varieties/species of Plinias and Myrciarias.

I've truly learned to never despise the day of small beginnings. It's amazing how a little interest turns into 1 plant, then curiosity & interest grows into 5 plants, then passion kicks in and all of a sudden you're surrounded by plants. Definitely an encouraging collection.

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 09:30:01 AM »

Don’t get me hooked on jaboticabas! I already have too many plants, better for me to admire other’s collections than to grow my own. Agree that the jaboticaba scene has really exploded in recent years, now there are so many new hybrids and varieties available it’s really great. Now for such an explosion of interest to happen with theobromas. But I guess more people can grow jaboticabas outdoors, so maybe that’s why it’s really become popular-a crazy genus that people can actually grow realistically.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 09:34:03 AM »
Nice! Luiz has been crushing it. I gotta get back and check it out!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 09:06:59 PM »
It has grown a LOT since I bought my large sabara from Luiz. Awesome to see it now.

TSmith

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 09:44:16 AM »
Loved this video! Like others I am excited to see more and more varieties coming into the US to allow us to experience all of this diversity. Even in the US we are seeing hybrids from cross-pollination. It will be amazing to see the diversity that Luiz will have in another 3 years.

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 09:27:46 AM »
It was definitely amazing to see in person. Part two is a bit shorter because Luiz asked me to edit some parts out but part 2 is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HErGlOb04Zc

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 09:54:36 AM »
That is a ton of different variety.  Kudos to the Obsession!  Thanks for the vid.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 12:11:58 PM »
wow, thanks for posting amazing collection Luis, is got it going on! 8)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 04:25:42 PM »
nice collection Luiz, congrats.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com