Author Topic: Puerto Rico trip blog  (Read 1183 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Puerto Rico trip blog
« on: August 15, 2021, 11:21:25 AM »
If interested, here is my latest blog on our recent trip to Puerto Rico.  https://www.tropicalfruithunters.com/blog/back-to-puerto-rico-at-last

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Puerto Rico trip blog
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 11:40:08 AM »
Thanks for the post! Glad you got to go this year. Sad you couldn’t visit Montoso Gardens or the USDA station. I guess that’s why the USDA station is ignoring my emails this past year…

Regarding the vaccinations in your group, were they mandatory because the farms you visited required them, or something else?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 12:01:01 PM »
Nice trip, thanks for sharing Jay!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 01:04:26 PM »
Vaccinations were a requirement from farm owners.  It also made traveling much easier...no testing required.  I did forget to mention that the PR health check site emailed or texted you everyday asking if you had any symptoms.  You needed to respond or they got pissy and John spent a lot of time and many phone calls trying to straighten it up.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 05:36:46 PM »
Farm owners made you show proof of vaccinations?
Peter

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 06:10:06 PM »
No Peter.  We've all known each other for years and we were kindly told that we needed to have our vaccinations...which all of us did anyway.  No one wanted to wear a mask anymore than we already did while in public.  No way in hell would I want to wear one out on a farm.  We had no problem with it and we all agreed with it.

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 10:16:45 PM »
Can’t say I agree with that-hopefully the situation improves in the next year or two, in time for me to try to go back to PR. But I honestly don’t see it getting any better, especially now that they’re trying to put restrictions back on.

Anyway, you certainly had an incredible trip and got to eat wonderful fruit! Really well-written post and some great photos, thanks again!

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 10:47:09 PM »
I was curious.  We are vaccinated and don’t ask visitors to our farm if they are vaccinated or insist on masks outside although some visitors wear them.  In town masks are required in shops and at our farmers market. 
I’ve never been asked if I am vaccinated as a condition of entry either in CR or the US. 
Peter

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 07:19:42 AM »
If entering PR from the US, you were required to either have proof of your vaccination, or show proof of a negative COVID test within I think like 72 hours before arrival...or subject yourself to one right there in the airport.  If you were international arriving in PR, you were required to do a negative COVID test regardless of vaccination or not.  They had a very simple website set up for you to enter all of your COVID and travel data.  You received a QR code.  You showed this code at the airport and no problem.  They did contact you daily and you needed to answer whether you were symptomatic or not.  They were very persistent about this.  During the week we were there, masks were required in all public places, even outdoors.  You were allowed to remove them inside restaurants, beach, outdoor activities.  I believe a farm owner has every right to require or not require vaccinations and/or masks to be worn.  After all, the farms were not open to the public, but by private invitation only.  We all supported the decision.  No one had to show proof of their vaccination to any farm owner.  We've all known each other for many years and our word was plenty good enough.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 04:29:32 PM »
I see.
On a recent trip to the US I had to take a COVID test here in CR to board the plane.  But there was no follow up by the Americans like what you described in PR.
I think they just made changes this month but Costa Rica has been insisting on foreigners showing proof of health insurance to cover the visitor in case they come down with COVID.
Most businesses, in theory all, require masks.  In practice, if you are outside and socially distanced there’s not much concern.  At our botanical garden and plant nursery masks are optional.
Saludos, Peter