Author Topic: Do the red and yellow muntingia varieties taste appreciably different?  (Read 736 times)

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
I've heard some conflicting information on this one. I was looking to plant a yellow and a red this year, but accidentally managed to purchase what I think are two yellows (one is slightly red-tinged but it never goes full red like some of the pictures that I've seen before the fruit splits). My question is, does it matter? Do the red and yellow varieties taste any different to anyone who has had both?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Do the red and yellow muntingia varieties taste appreciably different?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 08:09:44 AM »
I have both
To me they taste the same, the yellow is slightly larger fruit.
I was told the yellow one is more cold hardy? This past Winter
I got below 32F for over 5 hours and both of my reds died off.
Both of them came back briefly from the roots but fizzled. The
Yellow had quite a bit if branch die back but lived and is like normal
this year. I replaced the red with one that was a runner of a tree
with very large fruit. It is flowering now maybe I will get fruit this
season?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 08:45:54 PM »
my chickens really like the red ones but ignore the yellows...so the yellow seems more bird resistant!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 09:14:37 PM »
I have both
I was told the yellow one is more cold hardy?

Thanks for the reply, and huh, maybe so. Ah, yeah, one of my yellows (guess it's more of a blush-red) is a cutting from a tree that survived last winter in Phoenix area so I guess we'll see. They grow so fast I guess the worst case scenario is I buy a new one every year or grow one from seed, but I was hoping for some deciduous dappled shade out of it for the small plants.

my chickens really like the red ones but ignore the yellows...so the yellow seems more bird resistant!

Hahaha, interesting. Mine are mostly ignored by the birds until they're just ripe, and then the little jerk sparrow-like birds that we have out here will take a single bite and leave the rest to rot (just like they do to my jujubes).

I started hanging rubber snakes in the tree, which works, but then I forget that I did that until I'm reaching my hand in and my brain starts screaming at me that there's a snake near my hand...

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 08:47:29 AM »
I have both

I replaced the red with one that was a runner of a tree
with very large fruit. It is flowering now maybe I will get fruit this
season?
I did get a seedling of the yellow from you and mine made larger fruit than the red my neighbor had.
In my property this tree suckered so horribly I had to remove it, root suckers had extended to fifty feet away and were headed out further. Others who get some frost don't seem to have that problem but beware of the tendency. I was able to kill off everything by painting the cut off main stump and suckers with glyphosate within minutes of cutting them down and they all died.