Author Topic: Summer's End: What Rare Fruits are Left to Eat?  (Read 1323 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Summer's End: What Rare Fruits are Left to Eat?
« on: September 10, 2022, 12:30:56 PM »
new video touring around the farm, trying to find fruits that are still left to eat after a brutal summer season that was too hot and dry.

The rains are finally coming, and everything thinks it's spring.  Mostly Plinia fruits now and Eugenias, but we also have a good amount of Garcinia, and Persimmon fruits.

What's fruiting now for you?

https://youtu.be/7oqnw8r8RsE
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Aiptasia904

• Orange Park
    • View Profile
Re: Summer's End: What Rare Fruits are Left to Eat?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 02:39:04 PM »
Kumquats, Everglades Tomatoes, Yardlong Beans. Peppers. The usual.  ;D

Aiptasia904

• Orange Park
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 03:11:30 PM »
I commented on the video in the hopes of a raffle for seeds/fruits. Also, you can use a little smear of petroleum jelly around the trunks of some of your fruit trees to keep the ants from herding aphids and scale onto them. If you smear a thick 3-4" ring of the goo around the trunks the bugs get hung up in it and can't get up and into the tree. There's also some commercial ant jelly out there with a pesticide in it that does the same thing. Old trick I learned from my Dad on apple trees. When we had a lot of honey stores in my workshop for the meadery, I used a perimeter bait called Maxforce Complete by Bayer that had both sweet baits and protein baits in it for ants. They pick up the baits, take them back to the hive and toss the poison into the communal fungal feed pile and it will wipe out the whole ant hive. Very targeted pesticide, non-systemic. Works for roaches and grasshoppers or any opportunistic feeding ground insects. It's expensive but it works like a charm for knocking back those bull ants, sugar ants, carpenter and fire ants, you name it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 03:15:46 PM by Aiptasia904 »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 03:25:26 PM »
My sabara and red are holding lots of fruit sets. Some straggler pitanga, calycina, and cherry of the rio grande are coming in, kumquats and guavas are loaded but still green, and lots of dragonfruit ripening up now.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 03:35:24 PM »
A few lemon drop, papaya, guava, carambola, small saps, peppers, some nanners are ripening, and an avocado is darkening early.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 04:29:39 PM »
A few lemon drop, papaya, guava, carambola, small saps, peppers, some nanners are ripening, and an avocado is darkening early.
Which avocado?
John

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 05:01:30 PM »
Akee, Carambola, Banana, Dragon Fruit.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2022, 06:10:32 PM »
Picked the last mangos, got atemoyas, persimmons and starfruit left.
Hoping for some more plinias and Garcinia in a a month or 2

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2022, 07:46:17 PM »
Still have a couple Sugar Apples on a couple trees, have Dwarf Ambarella and Barbados Cherries.

Zill Dark Suriname Cherry is flowering again, as is Peanut Butter Fruit and Cedar Bay Cherry. Never tried Cedar Bay Cherry--I think one of my chickens got the first fruit I'd ever seen on the bush.

My girlfriend's Coffee has cherries, and she's got an insane amount of bananas. We both have papayas.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2022, 09:21:58 PM »
Which avocado?

A lone Oro Negro is blackening, and has been since weeks ago (70%?). All others are totally green.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2022, 12:14:56 PM »
thanks for the update folks...this season was rough for me !
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2022, 07:22:37 PM »
I hear ya on brutal summer, I could barely keep up watering like almost every day and everything was still begging for a drink.  Can’t tell you how grateful I am to hear the sound of rain right now as I type this, finally had a fair bit just now. 

All I’ve got here is acerola, everbearing mulberries, and Jamaica cherries.  I’m still waiting on fruit from a lot of my trees tho, so hopefully in the next few years.

I’ve seen some pond apples dropping on the trails.  Just tried one the other day, was actually pretty tasty, but all seeds and almost no flesh.  Most years the animals eat them before I get chance to find a nice looking one, but I guess I was hiking at the right time this year. 

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2022, 10:23:49 PM »
Lots of Bell starfruit, Acerola, some Silas wood and Makok sapodillas, bananas, and a few Little Gem mangos left. The mature Keitt tree a block away from me is now bare, it had a few fruit on it yesterday. I can keep Bell fruiting pretty much year-round if I want to by fertilizing,watering, and bending twigs until they give a very slight cracking noise,this stimulates bloom pretty reliably. I get pretty sick of starfruit after a while...