Author Topic: Sweet uvaia for reservations  (Read 2647 times)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Sweet uvaia for reservations
« on: January 26, 2023, 01:23:03 PM »
Limited stock!
Prices, here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ba0iLzeia6R2Wry1IZd8RABU25il08_JTFhH158nTmA/edit#gid=0

Introducing Eugenia pyriformis, a delicious and beautiful fruit tree that belongs to the Myrtaceae family. This tree can grow up to 5-7 meters tall and has a smooth, reddish-brown bark that peels off in plates. Its crown is dense and rounded. The leaves are simple, opposite, petioled, persistent or semi-persistent, with an entire edge, 5 to 6 cm long by 1.5 to 2 cm wide. The flowers are hermaphrodite, white, 1-2 cm in diameter, arranged in corymbose inflorescences. The fruits are pear-shaped or slightly flattened, orange, 2.5 to 3.5 cm in diameter, with a pleasant aroma and slightly acidic taste, usually with one seed, they mature between December and February.

This tree is mostly distributed in Corrientes and Misiones in Argentina. It is known for its uses as a honey plant, fruit tree and ornamental tree. Several species of butterflies complete their life cycle by feeding on leaves of some species of the Eugenia genus. The fruit of Eugenia pyriformis Cambess has a unique flavor, a mix of tangerine and apricot, juicy and not overly sweet. The skin of the fruit has a beautiful and interesting fragrance. Get your hands on our Eugenia pyriformis Cambess seeds and grow your own delicious and beautiful fruit tree today!

PM me or mail me at marcospcmusica gmail.com

ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: Sweet uvaia for reservations
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2023, 07:01:15 PM »
We are taking orders! The stock is already at the USA, we can send now.
ONLINE SHOP:

Fruit Jungle

• Loxahatchee, Florida Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 08:11:18 PM »
Hi there, I've had some trouble growing this species, any tips on growing this. I'm thinking I overwater, but any insights into it's native conditions may help.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 11:36:34 PM »
Hi there, I've had some trouble growing this species, any tips on growing this. I'm thinking I overwater, but any insights into it's native conditions may help.

Hello! It sounds like you're experiencing some difficulties with growing that particular species. I can certainly provide you with some tips to help you out. Firstly, make sure to water the plant with chlorine-free water. Additionally, it's important to have patience because this species tends to grow slowly. Creating a slightly acidic soil similar to what jaboticabas prefer can also be beneficial.

To protect the plant from the intense summer sun, consider keeping it in partial shade or complete shade during the warmer month, at least when it is under 50cm tall or so. This will help prevent sunburn or heat stress. Remember to monitor the moisture levels of the soil and avoid overwatering, as you mentioned. Proper drainage is key. You can use chelated iron too.

ONLINE SHOP:

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 06:41:55 PM »
For me... when I plant freshly harvested Uvaia seeds... they sprout within a month... just keep them moist and warm.
Don't let the seeds dry out before planting.
I eat the fruit and spit the seeds into a nursery pot. High germination rate.

Kevin

« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 12:57:57 PM by Kevin Jones »

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 12:50:56 PM »
For me... when I plant freshly harvested seeds... they sprout within a month... just keep them moist and warm.
Don't let the seeds dry out before planting.
I eat the fruit and spit the seeds into a nursery pot. High germination rate.

Kevin

I agree! Thanks for your comment
ONLINE SHOP:

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 12:59:45 PM »
Well worth growing... one of the most rewarding Eugenias in my opinion.

Kevin

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2023, 04:22:37 PM »
Hey Marcos! First flowering from the sweet uvaia seeds I got from you in 2020  :) Hopefully get to try the fruit!

Hi Kevin, any tips for improved fruit set? Did yours fruit on their own after first flowering?

Marcos is a great seller and this is a beautiful Eugenia with gorgeous new reddish growth, and it flowers at under 3 feet in less than three years. Get you sum seeds!
Nate

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2023, 05:49:22 PM »
I do some hand pollination... but also depend on the bumble bees to do the heavy lifting.

Kevin

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2023, 03:25:21 PM »
Hey Marcos! First flowering from the sweet uvaia seeds I got from you in 2020  :) Hopefully get to try the fruit!

Hi Kevin, any tips for improved fruit set? Did yours fruit on their own after first flowering?

Marcos is a great seller and this is a beautiful Eugenia with gorgeous new reddish growth, and it flowers at under 3 feet in less than three years. Get you sum seeds!

Fantastic, congrats! Try to harvest them when really ripe and wait for the next season if the fruit is not good enough yet. Good luck!
ONLINE SHOP:

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2023, 04:44:15 PM »
Here's some inspiration for you...

Kevin

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2023, 06:13:21 AM »
Here's some inspiration for you...

Kevin

Wow, so you got them! I have seeds right now
ONLINE SHOP:

lala

• Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2023, 12:00:39 PM »
Please tell me about the soil for this plant. My little seedling is practically not growing and looks depressed. Perhaps I did something wrong. It has acidic soil and perlite.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2023, 01:53:22 PM »
Hi Lala,
They are VERY slow growing the first year... so don't let that worry you.
They are also sensitive to too much Nitrogen.
So you might want to give them plant food at 1/2 the normal dose for the first year
Your soil sounds fine. These plants really require a lot of patience.
By the 3rd year they should be taking-off!
Mine are growing in 20 gallon nursery bags and nearing 10ft tall.
Good Luck!

Kevin

« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 04:33:19 PM by Kevin Jones »

lala

• Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2023, 03:15:24 PM »
Hi Lala,
They are VERY slow growing the first year... so don't let that worry you.
They are also sensitive to too much Nitrogen.
So you might want to give them plant food at 1/2 the normal dose for the first year
Your soil sounds fine. These plants really require a lot of patience.
By the 3rd year they should be taking-off!
Mine are growing in 20 gallon nursery bags and nearing 18ft tall.
Good Luck!

Kevin

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I've heard about it. But my plant is not growing at all. There are no increases for the year. I worry. I suddenly thought I had made bad ground for her.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2023, 03:32:52 PM »
That's a pretty beefy specimen... you might want to try moving it up to a larger pot.
They need the root space.
Unless you are growing it as a bonsai. 

Here's a few more photos to entice you:

Kevin

« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 03:53:03 PM by Kevin Jones »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2023, 12:38:24 AM »
Please tell me about the soil for this plant. My little seedling is practically not growing and looks depressed. Perhaps I did something wrong. It has acidic soil and perlite.

They don't like the soil and water above 7 PH. If they start to show chlorosis in leaves. Try treating with EDDHA chelated iron. Also if in ground make sure to mulch with some good compost to supply slow release nutrients.

If in a container mix in some osmocote slow release fertilizer.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

lala

• Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2023, 03:32:03 AM »
Is acidity 3-4 pH normal for this plant? Bigger pot. Fine. Thank you.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2023, 03:43:51 AM »
Is acidity 3-4 pH normal for this plant? Bigger pot. Fine. Thank you.

No you should be aiming for a ph around 6 to 6.5.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

lala

• Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2023, 06:01:26 AM »
Thanks a lot. I'll replace the soil today. Am I understanding correctly: Regular neutral soil and some acidic peat? approximately the same as for citrus fruits.

lala

• Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2023, 06:12:53 AM »

Hello! It sounds like you're experiencing some difficulties with growing that particular species. I can certainly provide you with some tips to help you out. Firstly, make sure to water the plant with chlorine-free water. Additionally, it's important to have patience because this species tends to grow slowly. Creating a slightly acidic soil similar to what jaboticabas prefer can also be beneficial.

To protect the plant from the intense summer sun, consider keeping it in partial shade or complete shade during the warmer month, at least when it is under 50cm tall or so. This will help prevent sunburn or heat stress. Remember to monitor the moisture levels of the soil and avoid overwatering, as you mentioned. Proper drainage is key. You can use chelated iron too.

Can you clarify about the land for jaboticaba? Because the seller told me acidic soil with 3-4 pH. All my eugenias, jaboticabas, psidiums in acidic soil.

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2023, 09:31:25 AM »
Thanks a lot. I'll replace the soil today. Am I understanding correctly: Regular neutral soil and some acidic peat? approximately the same as for citrus fruits.

E. pyriformis is from areas of South Brazil and into Argentina that is semi deciduous forest that tend to have slightly more calcium content in the soil which will have a little higher pH and slightly more nutrients than the Atlantic Rainforest where most Jaboticaba are native to. The pH there is typically around 4.5 but most Jaboticaba are fine with that up to neutral. Straight peat moss is around 4. A good all around media I mix is 60% peat moss 30% perlite 10% vermiculite. The perlite is around neutral and vermiculite is neutral to slightly alkaline. Not sure what the final pH of the mix is but I do think it’s slightly lower than bought bagged mixes as I don’t add calcium in the form of lime like most manufacturers do. Most all purpose fertilizers have more than enough calcium in their formulas and too much calcium will bind with iron to make it unusable by the plant. It’s the same way with us you don’t want to take a calcium and iron supplement at the same won’t. My tapwater here is very low calcium hardness but I still use mainly collected rainwater. Your E. pyriformis will be growing very well going into next year.

lala

• Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2023, 10:42:05 AM »
I have another plant that is feeling very depressed. Perhaps the soil is also not suitable (acidic 3-4 pH + perlite) Eugēnia stipitāta. Please tell me.

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2023, 11:34:30 AM »
I have another plant that is feeling very depressed. Perhaps the soil is also not suitable (acidic 3-4 pH + perlite) Eugēnia stipitāta. Please tell me.

I’ve never grown that species but from the people that have that I know of said they are a pain to grow. The brown leaf tips are typically due to not enough water to the roots or dry air. What is the average humidity % and how often do you water? Also what is the day and night temperatures. Too much fertilizer or calcium can cause brown tips but I would check the moisture levels first.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2023, 11:50:04 AM »
Maybe we're over thinking this....
I have all my Eugenias growing in a locally produced compost/sand potting mix available at Home Depot.
I water them frequently with municipal hose water and give them Miracle Grow at regular strength every so often.
Full sun or lightly filtered sun in my cool greenhouse.
No issues.

Kevin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk