Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

Growing watermelon in south FL summer?

(1/8) > >>

Julie:
Paul Nison posted a video awhile back about growing watermelon during the South FL summer.  He mentioned georgia rattlesnake as the variety in the comments.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  What month should I plant the seeds?  What varieties have you grown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B66tq72O2Z8

1rainman:
Georgia rattlesnake is one of the best tasting but any watermelon will do great. The key is massive amounts of water. If you don't water them the plant will grow but the fruit will die or be small at best. They also grow well in low lying swampy areas which few plants grow in. You can flood the entire field for short periods of time. The largest watermelon farm in the united states is south Florida around arcadia. Also the heat doesn't bother them and they like sandy soil. Florida is ideal for watermelon though they grow just about anywhere.

Julie:
thank you, what month should I plant the seeds in?

Galatians522:

--- Quote from: Julie on April 05, 2023, 08:46:05 AM ---thank you, what month should I plant the seeds in?

--- End quote ---

February is the traditional month to plant watermelon in this part of the state. I'm not sure if that is because they are trying to hit the early market or if there are fewer diseases durring the dry season.

roblack:
GA rattlesnake seeds arrived, going to plant in next few days and see how it goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version