Author Topic: Rare Fruit History: First Tasting of Pitombatuba - Hybrid Eugenia Fruit  (Read 949 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Amazing this Eugenia turned out to be a novel hybrid of E. luschnathiana x E. selloi, Pitangatuba crossed with Pitomba.  It taste just like a mix of the two.  I hope you enjoy the video.  Hopefully will have some of these available by next year!

https://youtu.be/ucTLoF7Bfew
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
That is an interesting cross.  My pitangutaba looks nothing like my pitomba. I would have never guessed these were close enough genetically for a viable cross.  Maybe I will try to graft a few branches of each onto the other to attempt a hybrid of my own or improve fruit set. 
I realize ‘tuba gets a lot of mixed reviews, but I really enjoy the mix of mango/passion fruit flavor I get from the fruit. An it held fruit under a foot tall on its own. 

Epiphyte

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • Epiphytes and Economics
congrats!  i guess there aren't that many collectors in brazil that are growing both species together.  it will be very interesting to see how the seedlings from your hybrid turn out.

according to some cladograms i've seen, for example, eugenia uniflora and stipitata seem pretty close.  i wonder if their hybrid would look and taste like eugenia neonitida?

Enkis

• Italy 8b
    • View Profile
Be sure to send some to Jared Rydelek once you have enough, he will appreciate for sure
Keep planting and nobody explodes

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
Hi Adam and congratulations, can you tell us how you did the cross? which male did you use to pollinate ? how long did it take for the seed to grow and fruit?                                                                                                                                                                  Regards    Patrick

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Hi Adam and congratulations, can you tell us how you did the cross? which male did you use to pollinate ? how long did it take for the seed to grow and fruit?                                                                                                                                                                  Regards    Patrick

thanks everyone, I got chance seedlings that came up here, I didn't try to cross them...I have at least 3, and then who knows how many were accidentally sold..I know PIN got some and then sold at least one by accident...Capt Willy fruited his hybrid before me, but his looks much different, elongated and more tuba like...seems quite variable from seed.   Takes about 3-4yr from seed, and flowers much more than pitomba...so more productive like pitangatuba....it taste like both mixed...yes it's an acidic fruit, but not quite like tuba.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Midwestfruitjungle

• -10 F won’t stop me 🌱
    • USA, Indiana, 5b
    • View Profile
Thats awesome. Looking forward to seeing how the other ones turn out. I think it would be interesting to see how other Eugenias may cross as well. Eugenias have a lot of potential. Let us now when you have seeds!

Epiphyte

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
anyone ever try grafting pitangatuba and pitomba?  it might be possible since they are closely related enough to hybridize?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
anyone ever try grafting pitangatuba and pitomba?  it might be possible since they are closely related enough to hybridize?

I have some cross eugenia graft tests going this year. I tried Pitomba onto CORG because the wood seems similar but doesn't seem it's going to work. I'll try pitomba onto pitangatuba this week. It just doesn't seem like a good cross to me personally cause tomba peels and tuba doesn't.

Epiphyte

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile

I have some cross eugenia graft tests going this year. I tried Pitomba onto CORG because the wood seems similar but doesn't seem it's going to work. I'll try pitomba onto pitangatuba this week. It just doesn't seem like a good cross to me personally cause tomba peels and tuba doesn't.
do you know of any two plants that can be hybridized but not grafted?  i just googled "hybridization grafting closely related species" and found a 1952 paper about theobroma hybridization and grafting...   

in general, the species which produce hybrid progenies, or at least hybrid seeds, can be grafted successfully onto each other.  vice versa, where the interspecific grafts die off, hybridization is usually impossible. - G Addison

i'm guessing that this generalization also applies to eugenias, but maybe it doesn't.  the proof is in the pudding.  it's great that you're going to try grafting tomba and tuba.  i'm going to try as well, as soon as the tomba i acquired this week recovers from dehydration.