Author Topic: I am just about ready to throw in the towel on Lychee  (Read 760 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
I am just about ready to throw in the towel on Lychee
« on: May 28, 2023, 10:01:24 PM »
I have tried to manage my lychees this past year plus with the mite.  Cut back the tree spayed sulfur repeatedly when there was new growth but fell off the wagon a few months ago.  A friend was visiting a month or so ago and spotted a branch with the tell tale signs.  I removed it and resumes spraying.  While checking the tree today I saw several branches with the tell tale bumps.   I intend to take down the entire canopy and am contemplating just removing the two trees that have the mite.  I have a couple more trees some distance away, I am watching them carefully and hope they stay mite free.

Are there any developments in the search for a good way of managing this pest?  or will I have to keep spraying sulfur every time I see new growth?

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Re: I am just about ready to throw in the towel on Lychee
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2023, 10:41:12 PM »
Mites... Sulfur... Spray...

Did your tree with the infected limb have 1/5 tree of fruit, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2,2/3, or a loaded tree of fruit? Just wanting to know what impact it had on the tree... Also is the 1 limb 1/10 of the tree, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, or 9/10 of the tree...

Some mangos have various disease spots etc. etc. etc. but if the trees give me fruit.... I won't throw in the towel. Same with any other fruit tree for me anyways... Just wondering percentage of tree infected and impact on fruit production while it is still living....

To me, it sounds like the state is also willing to live with it as I believe they think it will not go away and it will just be a constant battle with never destroying the mite...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 10:46:45 PM by palmcity »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 10:37:42 PM »
We have had to continue spraying. Maybe the pressure will let up eventually when the trees that are not being maintained finally die. Lychees are going to be a lot more expensive going forward in any case. SweetHeart in particular seems to be susceptible. I have seen less damage on Brewster for some reason??? I also believe that dry weather favors the mite.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 11:03:36 PM »
Brewster and Mauritius appear vulnerable in my yard.  Branches of Hak ip, Peerless and Early large red grafted on the Brewster and Mauritius are fine but not the Brewster and Mauritius both of which have affected branches.  I have been watching and trying to manage this so it is possible the other varieties will be infected in time.

There is an Emperor about 50 feet away which seems a little less prone to breakout.  I had removed a few branches from the emperor last year and it is clean so far for this year.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 07:00:15 AM »
https://vikaspedia.in/agriculture/crop-production/package-of-practices/fruits-1/litchi-fruits-1-1/litchi-integrated-management-of-litchi-mite#:~:text=Pruning%20and%20removal%20of%20infested,15%20days%20interval%20during%20July.
I just came across this article about controlling those little buggers. I think I'll just keep to pruning and sulfur though as I don't like having poisons and such. It's too bad there's not a predator for them or some type of paint to freeze them where they are so they can't move. I'm seeing a leaf here and there on my trees also. Just a few houses down there are some 40-50' trees. They only flowered once since I've lived on the block now going on 4 years. Too bad the sri lanken weavil couldnt eat those mites as it devours the leaves. At least those dont destroy the fruit. I decided it's more worth the effort to grow longans and growing about 20 seedlings of pingpong, diamond river and ruby red longan in pots to hopefully find a winner for my area. Just up-potted them this weekend. Well, sorry to hear about your tree and hope it gets a break from the attacks. Good luck to you all. Have a good day.

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 04:52:14 PM »
Great fruit, not worth all the trouble in my opinion. Too many others fruits that will reward your efforts.

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 08:12:48 PM »
As I understand LEM is spread by bees and wind.

Anyone aware of the safe distance between infected and clean trees?

My trees are free of mites but my upwind neighbor has a small infected tree about 500’ away.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 08:38:33 PM »
As I understand LEM is spread by bees and wind.

Anyone aware of the safe distance between infected and clean trees?

My trees are free of mites but my upwind neighbor has a small infected tree about 500’ away.

Bees will fly up to 4 miles to forage, so I would say minimum 4 miles. It is unlikely for them to forage that far unless in dire straits, but 500' is nothing for a bee.

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 08:49:42 PM »

I cut out my 13 year old Hak Ip and Emperor. Trees were treated through the Palm Beach County Dept of Ag funding. They had sub-contractors come out and prune tree to only scaffolding branches. Then they had some company come out and spray the trees every week for a few months. Mites came right back. There are other infected trees in my neighborhood and I just saw another lychee tree get planted across the street.

When talking with Dept of Ag they said that they dont think they can do much to stop it, at least my area its too prevalent.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 08:55:09 PM »
I had some lychee last weekend in Redlands and they were amazing, but all the trees had signs of mites. It's very sad to hear the state will slowly slip out of lychee productivity and all your hard work will get chainsawed up.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 09:48:57 PM »
Is there a safe way of disposing of the infected branches?
I fear leaving by the roadside for hauling company may result of its incorporating into free mulch, spreading the disease.

I cant burn, I think we may still have a burn ban and may just get stuff airborne.

Any suggestions?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2023, 10:01:41 PM »
Is there a safe way of disposing of the infected branches?
I fear leaving by the roadside for hauling company may result of its incorporating into free mulch, spreading the disease.

I cant burn, I think we may still have a burn ban and may just get stuff airborne.

Any suggestions?

I remember reading that you could also burry them. However, this might be a good opportunity to convince everyone that you need a flamethrower... ;D