Author Topic: Recycle Wood::: A 4 foot wide and 5 foot tall dead tree rotted in 7 years...  (Read 196 times)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
It is very unusual for me to see a google search with the wrong answer to a common question but IMO here is one:

Wood from trees, like stumps, branches, and limbs will take a very long time to decompose, upwards of 50-100 years if left whole.Oct 11, 2019

IN S. Fl the above is FALSE at least for laurel oaks (water oaks).

I'm not sure as to why anyone would say this long long period of time as I am sure 7 years ago I killed a tree and it rotted and fell over about 6 months ago.

Anyone believing it would take 50 to 100 years would probably hire someone to remove and haul off the tree... I believe in recycling wood back into the soil and thought all should know at least in South Florida expect 7 years for most trees to rot and fall over once dead IMO. (No need to have it removed unless codes require removal).

Dragon fruit enjoyed climbing it before it fell over and are still growing through the fallen pile of sawdust/wood.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
I'm really impressed by the speed at which wood breaks down in South Alabama. Wood needs to be seasoned for a year or so to burn in So Cal, but in Alabama, it's mushroom food by then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk