Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Citrus macrophylla

(1/5) > >>

sc4001992:
Has anyone tried growing seeds of Citrus macrophylla ?

I have a lemon rootstock, Citrus macrophylla, that I let grow and now its a pretty tall tree (7-8 ft) and has some large fruits on it. Fruit is still green, size of a large lemon, so I will wait until the fruit turns yellow before I pick them and get the seeds.

I'm planning to grow the seeds and use the seedlings to graft some lemon varieties I have since the seedling rootstock should have stronger roots (tap roots).

Also, has anyone rooted cuttings of the Citrus macrophylla? It may be quicker to grow them from cuttings but I'm not sure how good the root structure will be for use as a rootstock plant.

pagnr:
Yes I have grown seed. Highly true to type and vigorous.
Also a few interesting off types can appear. More like versions of Macrophylla.
It is not used much in Australia due to Tristeza, but I don't seem to have any trouble with it here.
Haven't tried cuttings but think they would root ok.

franklazar26:

--- Quote from: sc4001992 on August 13, 2022, 03:46:22 PM ---Has anyone tried growing seeds of Citrus macrophylla ?

I have a lemon rootstock, Citrus macrophylla, that I let grow and now its a pretty tall tree (7-8 ft) and has some large fruits on it. Fruit is still green, size of a large lemon, so I will wait until the fruit turns yellow before I pick them and get the seeds.

I'm planning to grow the seeds and use the seedlings to graft some lemon varieties I have since the seedling rootstock should have stronger roots (tap roots).

Also, has anyone rooted cuttings of the Citrus macrophylla? It may be quicker to grow them from cuttings but I'm not sure how good the root structure will be for use as a rootstock plant.

--- End quote ---

Mac root crazy easy. I actually have a 1.5 year old leaf-rooted tree (yes rooted from 1 leaf) that’s about 18” tall now. Leaves root amazingly well, and cuttings even easier. I feel they’re one of the easiest citrus to root.

Personally I love using Mac as rootstock. Pretty vigorous, minimal incompatibilities,  and for my purpose, can be used well in containers. If you plan on selling any of those seeds, let me know!

sc4001992:
ok, sounds good. I will let you know if I get many seeds in the fruits, then will share some seeds.

poncirsguy:
What is Citrus macrophylla  Is it cold hardy or tend to push more sugares into the scion's fruit

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version